Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    I actually think most British accents are annoying, particularly on women. I loved it until I moved to the UK...I guess you just get used to it after a while.
    I haven't heard one I dislike yet, and I reckon I've heard quite a representative lot of them. I suppose it will change when I'm there, though, as it'll be less novel.

I find just about all American accents annoying accept the standard/no-accent version, which fortunately is what 90% of the people have. New York/Boston/Minnesota/gangster--all terrible, terrible ways say words, in my opinion.

I'm not sure what my accent is like - I'm not 'common' sounding but neither am I particularly posh. Some American accents annoy me but most I quite like... it sounds a tad more emotional! If you know what I mean? Brits can sound a bit boring at times... It amazes me how different Brits are really. Americans tend to come over as happy and friendly whereas your average Brit (huge generalisation as I know a few who aren't like this... namely, my friends and family )can seem quite distant and standoffish. I like the ‘have a nice day’ attitude that you guys seem to employ… you can feel like a bit of a nuisance in restaurants and shops over here.

ReputationRep:
    if you want the best range of premiership games, you'll probably need to go to a pub catering to footy fans, which there seem to be more and more of.. here's a list for the midwest provided by fox soccer channel. a bar with setanta and FSC will have the most games. because the games are all early in the morning U.S. time, i think age restrictions are relaxed at many bars (at least here in new york that's true).

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/802152

good luck,
    k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History_Boys)
    So do most universities over there enjoy soccer?
    The majority of people don't care much about soccer. Most universities that are really into sports support their football and basketball and, to a lesser extent, baseball teams--mostly. Those are the sports that get a lot of coverage on tv and elsewhere. University sports is HUGE business here; it's just as big as professional sports; and I don't know of anyone who gives a damn about their schools' soccer team, and I've never seen a uni soccer match on tv.

I'm sure there are those who care about their uni's team, but they're a minority. And I'm sure they do enjoy it, though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to be a smart ass... but if you want to keep up with footy, learn SPANISH. At least some terms that would be used in soccer.

Also, understand that if you go to a soccer match in the states, 50% says it will be a womens game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    I'm not trying to be a smart ass... but if you want to keep up with footy, learn SPANISH. At least some terms that would be used in soccer.

Also, understand that if you go to a soccer match in the states, 50% says it will be a womens game.
    Not being sexist or owt, but the standard of women's soccer is something like the the U15 academy standard at professional clubs, seriously, SO bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopSortedMadForIt)
    Not being sexist or owt, but the standard of women's soccer is something like the the U15 academy standard at professional clubs, seriously, SO bad.
    Despite your attempt at a disclaimer, there are some things you should think about. First, men's and women's soccer are two different animals. Women's soccer is much more of a paced passing game focusing on teamwork. So when you're looking for what you see in men's soccer, you may not see it and therefore you will just call it "SO bad."

Second, women were not encouraged to participate in sports until the past 30 years or so. So you may not think you're sexist now, but your opinion is the direct result of inequality of expectations.

AND to make this most not just an annoyed outburst, I would say that the level of exposure to soccer will vary depending on the region and the people. It's very much a developing sport, with millions of children playing when they're young but dropping off at the higher levels. At my high school, soccer was the most popular sport. But in my state it will always be second to American football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monomer)
    The fake ids? Not always true. They're easy to spot (generally) and I've know people to be busted on them. If you really want to drink, older friends will buy, but if they get caught, it's jail time.
    There are clubs that allow people under 21 to enter as Designated Drivers-basically, you get to laugh at all the drunk idiots around you with free soda. Lots of fun-and a way to earn money (the ppl you're helping out will sometimes chip in gas money, which rocks, because gas is freakin' expensive!).

Yeah be careful with the fake ids - lots of places in Texas are scanning ids on the way in, not just looking at the picture. I guess that wouldn't apply if you brought a foreign drivers license though. Seems like the difference in nights out is that a lot of people here go to house parties if they're underage.

As far as the football goes, we had to get satellite tv, pay for an extra channel, and wake up at the crack of doom sometimes to catch games but it's possible.

Everyone loves a British accent, but they'll probably ask you to repeat words that they think are especially amusing. Plus, everywhere you go you'll get asked if you're from Australia, Germany, France, Scotland, etc. Maybe that's just southerners who can't get it right.. I don't know. Anyway, my accent was great for me on my first day. As soon as you open your mouth, people want to be friends.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe that's just southerners who can't get it right
    I highly doubt it's just southerners who can't correctly identify accents (and there are plenty of us who can).

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.