Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Aye as it makes it less confusing and more realistic.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    You cannot make up you own rules on when Guidance Document amendments take effect, when an amendment is passed the Guidance Document is changed. By delaying things to suit your own view of what should happen, you are going against the purpose of amendments which is for MPs to have an impact on the running of the MHoC.
    As it stands, the guidance document prohibits amendments that would overturn the result of a referendum, hence this would have to wait until the protected period ends to come into effect.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye ... It provides certainly

ReputationRep:
    Aye aye aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    As it stands, the guidance document prohibits amendments that would overturn the result of a referendum, hence this would have to wait until the protected period ends to come into effect.
    I guess guidance has become binding again now it's not convenient to let it be flexible.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Regardless, I still maintain that a tidier way of doing this would be to simply have a bill that renders that referendum result void at the state opening of the next term.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Regardless, I still maintain that a tidier way of doing this would be to simply have a bill that renders that referendum result void at the state opening of the next term.
    Would need to be an Amendment: Bills do not have constitutional effect, and if incompatible with the GD, the Bill is read down.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Would need to be an Amendment: Bills do not have constitutional effect, and if incompatible with the GD, the Bill is read down.
    So tell me which part of it is against the constitution and/or GD?

ReputationRep:
    So tell me which part of it is against the constitution and/or GD?
    I don't think it is, it's Fez' decision. However, doing this through a Bill would not have the same effect, and canon would still apply as it does now (read: we can legislate contrary to EU law but should not ignore the political implications of doing so).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I don't think it is, it's Fez' decision. However, doing this through a Bill would not have the same effect, and canon would still apply as it does now (read: we can legislate contrary to EU law but should not ignore the political implications of doing so).
    And it doesn't go against EU law any more than an amendment, except the amendment leaves a somewhat unsightly blot on the relevant documents.

With Fez' position it's only a couple of months to wait anyway because this is the last protected term.

ReputationRep:
    And it doesn't go against EU law any more than an amendment, except the amendment leaves a somewhat unsightly blot on the relevant documents.

With Fez' position it's only a couple of months to wait anyway because this is the last protected term.
    I mean, this also leaves us in the EU until RL UK actually leaves, which also works realism-wise.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Last protected term for what?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I mean, this also leaves us in the EU until RL UK actually leaves, which also works realism-wise.
    So would the proposed bill, literally all it does is renders the result of the referendum we had void, or whatever wording is used to make it so that deviation from reality never happened, the result is the same: we're awaiting article 50.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Last protected term for what?
    The referendum result.

ReputationRep:
    So would the proposed bill, literally all it does is renders the result of the referendum we had void, or whatever wording is used to make it so that deviation from reality never happened, the result is the same: we're awaiting article 50.
    The Bill would have no constitutional effect.

This also essentially precludes another MHoC-made referendum on the matter.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The Bill would have no constitutional effect.

This also essentially precludes another MHoC-made referendum on the matter.
    Do you seriously think we have enough sore losers here for there to be another referendum? And last time I checked bills have greater power than referendums.

EDIT: Actually, what was the exact wording of the bill that brought about the referendum anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Do you seriously think we have enough sore losers here for there to be another referendum? And last time I checked bills have greater power than referendums.

EDIT: Actually, what was the exact wording of the bill that brought about the referendum anyway?
    Bills have less power than referendums in TSR. A Bill in TSR is in no way, shape or form constitutionally equivalent to a Bill IRL.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I see nothing wrong with the idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Speaker's note: Given the provisions regarding referendum results being overturned, this amendment, if passed, will not enter into force until the next parliamentary term.

A156 – European Union Amendment
    Proposed by: TheDefiniteArticle (Lab)
    Seconded by: Quamquam123 (Lab), cranbrook_aspie (Lab), RayApparently (Lab), PetrosAC (Lib), joecphillips (Lib), Airmed (Lib), hazzer1998 (UKIP), Unown Uzer (UKIP)

In the Guidance Document:

Replace: "8) The Model House of Commons may not overturn a decision made in a referendum that has taken place within the last three parliamentary terms (including the current term)."

With: "8) The Model House of Commons may not overturn a decision made in a referendum that has taken place within the last three parliamentary terms (including the current term), with the exception that TSR shall remain a member of the EU only if and insofar as the UK in real life does."

NotesThis is to make the MHoC more accessible to new people - Brexit is a massive change, and it would only be confusing for newbies if we remained on TSR after leaving IRL. This does not prevent us from passing an Act to rejoin, but it does prevent EU law from affecting us constitutionally. Note that this only takes TSRland out of the EU once the Article 50 process is complete IRL.
    Aye.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.