The Student Room Group

how many calories in 1kg of fat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Andy Pipkin
I weight 74kg. I want to weight 70kg.

So I need to lose 4kg. That is equivalent to 36000 calories. Therefore 36000 calories must be reduced from my diet over a select period of time - in my case 20 days.

36000/20 = 1800

This means that I must have a 1800 calories deficit (only 700 - 1000 calories allowed) PER DAY for 20 days to achieve my 4kg weight loss by mid August.

:eek:

no, when you run a 1800 defecit it is called STARVATION!
you will lose hardly ANY fat when you are in a starvation mode.
there is more than a simple linear rule between calories and fat when it comes to losing weight.
Reply 21
phobos
What a bunch of tits on this thread.

I've lost about 2kg in 5 days before when I needed to, to make a weight category. So 20 days you could do it and still feel fine.

...no bread, no pasta...

terrible, simply terrible.

Anyone who says "I've lost 5kg in 5 days" and extrapolates it to a time period that is any longer than 5 days, really doesn't know a thing about weight loss.

If you lose 2kg every 5 days for 20 days you will NOT feel fine, trust me.

also what do you have against bread and pasta? complex carbs are, in general, good.
Reply 22
terrible, simply terrible.

1. I didn't say 5kg in 5 days, I said 2kg in 5 days.

2. I didn't extrapolate it in the sense of saying you could keep it up at the same rate. I was saying it would be much easier to achieve.

3. Bread and pasta aren't good when you need to lose weight quickly.

4. I do not actually agree with his method and I don't even think his reason is that good. But I answered a question on how to lose weight fast over a short period of time.

Losing weight quickly is easy when you are motivated, keep busy, exercise and eat good food but in small amounts.
Reply 23
john!!
no, when you run a 1800 defecit it is called STARVATION!
you will lose hardly ANY fat when you are in a starvation mode.
there is more than a simple linear rule between calories and fat when it comes to losing weight.

it was only a matter of time :rolleyes:
Reply 24
cycling for 45 mins barely shifts 200 calories i imagine... and it seems like a waste of time when ur not even out of breath at the end.... really people does this work?
Reply 25
Oh man, I apologise for calling people tits. Start thinking for yourself!!!!! A sports student would not ask that question.
Good heavens, Pipkin... and others...

For starters, you say you want to lose 4kg (more than 5% of your body weight) in 20 days and calculate this to be 36,000 kcal. Wrong. As someone else said, one kg of fat is equal to 7700 kcal, NOT, as others have suggested, 9000.

Regardless, aiming for A 30,800 kcal deficit in twenty days is silly.
A sensible rate of weight loss is 1-2lbs a week, so you could lose this 4kg SENSIBLY in 4.5-9 weeks.
To achieve this, you'll need only a 500-1,000kcal deficit a day.

(This is simple maths, people)

If we assume you have 7 weeks until uni, you'll need to have a deficit of a little under 650 kcal a day. If we also assume you're currently on a maintenance diet (that is, you do not lose or gain weight on your current intake and excersise), this deficit can be achieved by walking (as you apparently don't like getting out of breath) two miles a day and not drinking your three cans of coke.

It's not rocket science.
This is doable but it would be a very intense diet! The body would become weak and you would become easily irate. This is almost Fastening which would take time for the body and mind to adapt and is believed to be beneficial on the long run if done properly. There’s a really good BBC documentary about this called Eat, Fast and Live LongerHope it helps.

Quick Reply

Latest