Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironic_)
    I personally would feel a bit freaked out if someone i'd met casually and briefly, had no other connections to (no mutual friends etc), and only knew my first name added me on facebook. Because my first name is quite common, they would have had to search through quite a number of people to find me, and that's quite scary.
    Well I didn't spend that much time! But if she does think about it, she might come to that conclusion and that's what might freak her out and I'm worried about. It's happened to me a few times in the past with people: I came across some guy I'd met on holiday years ago, by visiting the page of a student club at a uni, simply by coincidence. I think he might have been weirded out. We just exchanged a few e-mails.

Ciara, thanks for the moral support. I guess what makes me feel like this is even weirder, is the fact that I had so many opportunities to chat to her in the gym and I usually was too shy. I'm in my 20s now so although it seems normal for a lot of young people these days to not really have conversations with people in real life but just add them to msn or myspace, at my age it might seem a bit weird.

Anyway, I guess I'll see. The only reassuring thing is that I'm unlikely to see her again now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Just add her, loads of people I don't know added me on bebo when I use to use that, I never declined. Actually, does anyone know of anyone ever being declined or having declined someone else?

ReputationRep:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbdunc)
    Hm met may not have ben the right word. I saw her might be more appropriate...Turned out she'd noticed me. I only knew her name from the odd time she'd come up in conversation at school.
    I guess I see what you mean but you were still with a group of common friends. How did you find her on myspace/facebook/whatever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_1989)
    Just add her, loads of people I don't know added me on bebo when I use to use that, I never declined. Actually, does anyone know of anyone ever being declined or having declined someone else?
    I've declined two people who added me on facebook. One was this man from America who I had never heard of and had absolutely no connections to, and the other was a girl who was advertising deviant sexual practices. I checked to make sure she wasn't from my uni or my school or anything like that, and she wasn't so I declined.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironic_)
    I've declined two people who added me on facebook. One was this man from America who I had never heard of and had absolutely no connections to, and the other was a girl who was advertising deviant sexual practices. I checked to make sure she wasn't from my uni or my school or anything like that, and she wasn't so I declined.
    Yep you girls can be well harsh. hehe only kidding.

So you'd find it weird if some guy who you go past on a regular basis and who you've only had a couple of very short conversations with, added you on facebook?

ReputationRep:
    I would actually be quite touchd if someone added me from just a brief meeting - the fact that they remembered me and knew my name and searched for me can only really be a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bone-machine)
    POKE her for the love of god. dont add until you have a good poking session.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMlfJN4wt2Y

"I poked her first on Sunday, then she messaged me on Monday, so we slept together...it seemed like the right thing to do."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I would actually be quite touchd if someone added me from just a brief meeting - the fact that they remembered me and knew my name and searched for me can only really be a good thing.
    That happens to me all the time. Hardly surprising, though; considering that I look like the ******* progeny of Ed Byrne and Will Self, and sound like a bizarre amalgam of the latter with Stephen Fry (affected by some kind of mind-bending concoction).

Or, at least, so I'm told.

ReputationRep:
    I have more issues deciding whether to add people I have known for a great deal of time but never ended up getting extraordinarily close to. People I met in passing wandering campus and clicked with, that I can build a fresh relationship with? I add them immediately. The person who sat next to me in class and chatted with regularly but never delved into anything deeper? Debatable.

ReputationRep:
    i would if they were nice first time you met them

ReputationRep:
    Ok well you can add a message when you add people... so maybe something sounding shocked like "haven't i seen you at the gym??". Poking is good too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sticky)
    Yep you girls can be well harsh. hehe only kidding.

So you'd find it weird if some guy who you go past on a regular basis and who you've only had a couple of very short conversations with, added you on facebook?
    How is that harsh when i've never even heard of the people? :P I think one wanted me to save the planet, the other wanted to get me into a cult or something, haha.

Well I can't say I have any guys to have short conversations with *pout* As long as the guy wouldn't have had to work too hard to find me, then I'd have no problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    Facebook?

ReputationRep:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Everyone adds everyone on these sites. I've had people adding me on myspace because "LULZ I SEEN U ONCE".
    This has made my day. Rofl!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbdunc)
    Um I think she was in my friend who she was going out with's top friends. Then I started chatting to her and after a few days we exchanged email/msn addresses and mobile numbers. Then I met her properly with a group of her friends.
    Well that's not at all weird. Adding someone that way because they're on your friend's list of friends, is just perfectly normal. Even if you haven't really spoken to eachother... I wouldn't hesitate to do that one second but in this case, I don't know her at all. I spoke to her on one or two occasions and that's it and when I say "spoke", it was just really short convos of a couple of mins.

(Original post by Adhsur)
    Well that's the trouble with girls! One thing that can be considering incredibly touching/romantic/sweet by one girl, can be considered as plain weird/stalkerish by another girl, like a simple thing as a letter or some flowers (no to reassure people I'm not the type of person to send flowers to girls I hardly know) This girl probably gets A LOT of unwanted attention from guys...

ReputationRep:
    i dont mind randoms adding me, always fun to get to know other people (more so if they are close enough to go to a house party with - like some uni friends of mine who saw me once, added me on facebook and now we are good mates)

ReputationRep:
    You just said you've had two coversations with her which lasted a couple of minutes. Thats more than enough to add someone to Facebook... just add a message saying you found her profile by chance or something, and a casual see you around at the gym sometime end to the message. Don't introduce yourself or anything - just be confident that she'll remember who you are and that you're certain you can friends (on facebook at least).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.