Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Scandlelous idea - summeries on the cursed internet....

Although 1984 isnt that bad....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    Is this a dagger i see before me?
    no its a penis!

hm could work :p:
    Innuendo is implied, not literal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    Do a degree you are interested in?
    I read a lot of the reading list before going to uni, and although I could probably find more interesting material to read, I still enjoyed reading it and found it interesting!

ReputationRep:
    Have the book in one hand and something shiny in the other.

ReputationRep:
    For fictional reading use different accents for the characters.

(Original post by HenvY)
    Innuendo is implied, not literal.
    what is this long, hard instrument i see before me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella)
    Highlight the important parts, talk to your friends about it. All these things help They did when I was studying for exams.
    Good advice This works well for me also.

ReputationRep:
    Just plough on through them I say. Promise yourself once you've read this chapter you'll do something good. Like if you are hungry say you will read one more chapter before you get some food. That's how I got through my 'Novels into film' reading for English.

Plus you guys saying 1984 isn't boring, tried reading the middle bit? The massive chunk from Goldstein's book... That is very boring. Granted, its an ace book, but it is most definitely boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lea164)
    For fictional reading use different accents for the characters.
    that works well for other books too, read a textbook outloud in irish accent or something.

ReputationRep:
    I hated doing the Crucible by Arthur Miller for GCSE cwk, anyone else find it torturous?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    How on earth do you make innuendos from Do androids dream of electric sheep and 1984?

You're doing the wrong degree.

ReputationRep:
    I find reading abit boring
    it becomes far too tempting to read the summary and key points off the internet.
    reading just takes too long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moniker)
    Watch the TV/film adaptions, if there are any. My school always did this to entertain the ones who hated reading.

Are you doing an English degree? Because you must have known that you'd be reading a range of texts.
    Bladerunner is ok but it won't help me to read the book, i got bored of the film of 1984.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way of making reading more interesting? Its not the actual reading that i find boring i usually love reading but its the text that i have to read for uni are so awful, i read just a few pages and have to stop myself from going to sleep. Its hell cos i have to read these books at least twice for my degree and i can't stand them. They are just so deathly boring.
    The course doesn't interest you. Maybe you should consider a different subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red)
    Good advice This works well for me also.

Oh you know what else I found helpful, online quizzes!

My friends were like 'you and your quizzes' at the end of exam period though lol.

ReputationRep:
    highlighting important stuff while you read helps (helps me at least!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella)

Oh you know what else I found helpful, online quizzes!

My friends were like 'you and your quizzes' at the end of exam period though lol.
    I'm not agreeing with you just for the sake of it, but those are great too! Every time I used online quizzes, I got top marks haha. They're not always available for every subject though, which is a shame.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Alright, how's this idea... get a friend who also hasn't read the books and challenge them to a reading race. No cheating, as obviously that would completely destroy the entire point. But the winner is the person who gets there first. Obviously set some sort of approximate targets, like, decide whether you're both going to read the whole thing in one day or average 50 pages a day or something, because otherwise one of you might end up completely left behind while the other's rushed ahead. It works, though.

Daily reports on how far you've got must be included.

ReputationRep:
    They are just so deathly boring.
    My disdain for you is at least a little assuaged by your use of 'deathly' rather than 'deadly'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    I hated doing the Crucible by Arthur Miller for GCSE cwk, anyone else find it torturous?

Me, me, me! Except it was my one of my set texts for A2 Theatre, so not only did I have to write essays on it, I had to act it out as well. :rolleyes: You have my sympathies. In this case, reading aloud made it no less uninteresting, though that's something that I find normally works.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.