Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunethra)
    Hey, I want to study medicine too but AS was not what i expected. i got BBCC. Is it good enough? i feel so disspointed
    I don't see why it shouldn't be good enough. Just depends how well you sell yourself on your supporting statement to the university of your choosing. Also, get in contact with the relevant department for the uni you want and tell them your story and see what they say. You won't know unless you try

Also, don't see it as the be all end all as in this day and age there are so many different ways of getting a degree in medicine be it with a foundation year or via clearing and many other ways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quintilius)
    I don't see why it shouldn't be good enough. Just depends how well you sell yourself on your supporting statement to the university of your choosing. Also, get in contact with the relevant department for the uni you want and tell them your story and see what they say. You won't know unless you try

Also, don't see it as the be all end all as in this day and age there are so many different ways of getting a degree in medicine be it with a foundation year or via clearing and many other ways
    Right. Thank you for ur advice. I have been very dissopointed the whole day since results came out. I think if i send for re-correction i can probably scrape an A in math. Its just that i got the Cs in chemistry and math and i am scared that i wont be able to do mediicne in a good uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asmuse123)
    Unfortunately, I got EUU in AS Physics, Chemistry and Maths, mainly due to me not listening and having depression.I got mostly As and Bs in GCSE. Maths - B ; Science - A ; English - A ; Further Maths - AI have applied to do BTEC Engineering Level 3 and A Level Maths at another college. Is this still good enough for top 30 universities? Please help.

despite the rubbish everyone is telling you, loads of RG universities will accept you with top btec grades and a B or above in maths. below are some eee courses which will accept a btec at top grades. the same applies for other engineering disciplines but i cba to look.
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/d...courseoverview (D*DD)
    https://www.shef.ac.uk/prospectus/co...do?id=H6202016 (DD + B in Math)
    https://engineering.leeds.ac.uk/site...=F456#section4 (D*DD)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programme...y_requirements
    Southampton:
    "We welcome applications from candidates offering qualifications other than A and AS levels (including BTEC Higher National Diploma, European Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate, Irish Leaving Certificate and Scottish Highers). You will be expected to attain an equivalent standard (or higher) to an A level applicant."
    http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergrad...ring-meng.aspx (DDD + A in Math)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    I got into an RG uni with a BTEC, pair it with an A level and you'll have most options still open to you.

Quick reminder that an RG uni means absolutely nothing. It doesn't mean anything at all regarding the uni's teaching, reputation or how much you'll enjoy yourself.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Quintilius)

The issue the applicant will have is getting realistic predicted grades of AAA which are required to apply to medicine, without them you are very very unlikely to be considered due to the high competition ratios.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    despite the rubbish everyone is telling you, loads of RG universities will accept you with top btec grades and a B or above in maths. below are some eee courses which will accept a btec at top grades. the same applies for other engineering disciplines but i cba to look.
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/d...courseoverview (D*DD)
    https://www.shef.ac.uk/prospectus/co...do?id=H6202016 (DD + B in Math)
    https://engineering.leeds.ac.uk/site...=F456#section4 (D*DD)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programme...y_requirements
    Southampton:
    "We welcome applications from candidates offering qualifications other than A and AS levels (including BTEC Higher National Diploma, European Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate, Irish Leaving Certificate and Scottish Highers). You will be expected to attain an equivalent standard (or higher) to an A level applicant."
    http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergrad...ring-meng.aspx (DDD + A in Math)
    Thanks for this information,

Looking at these courses suggests if I get Distinctions in BTEC Engineering Extended Diploma and an A in A Level Maths, I can at least get into the foundation years and move into the second year. However, this will mean I need to work very hard, and I will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunethra)
    Right. Thank you for ur advice. I have been very dissopointed the whole day since results came out. I think if i send for re-correction i can probably scrape an A in math. Its just that i got the Cs in chemistry and math and i am scared that i wont be able to do mediicne in a good uni
    Chin up mate. Don't be disappointed. There are plenty of people out there who have/will be applying to top universities with AAA grades yet their supporting statement will let them down and they will be rejected based on that.

If you sell yourself well in your supporting statement outlining your reason for choosing that institution, your future career goals, that your current grades don't mean you're not worthy and that you are hungry to succeed I don't see why they shouldn't take you on. (Take that from someone who has rejected multiple Oxford and Cambridge graduate applications to work for my company based on their not so good and not spell checked supporting statements).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asmuse123)
    Thanks for this information,

Looking at these courses suggests if I get Distinctions in BTEC Engineering Extended Diploma and an A in A Level Maths, I can at least get into the foundation years and move into the second year. However, this will mean I need to work very hard, and I will.
    I took a gap year. Originally I got a D in GCSE Maths but I ended up with A (526 UMS) in A-Level Maths after retaking GCSE Maths in Y13. If I can do it so can you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    Im afraid most top russel group universities will not accept the BTEC in replacement of Alevels, many unis will though you will just have to check requirements online.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some do, my brother did Civil Engineering at Bristol after a BTEC level 3 in engineering, which is usually A*AA. He did the BTEC after not doing very well at all at AS's. Admittedly it's more common and easier with A-levels but it can be done.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JoeyTr)
    Some do, my brother did Civil Engineering at Bristol after a BTEC level 3 in engineering, which is usually A*AA. He did the BTEC after not doing very well at all at AS's. Admittedly it's more common and easier with A-levels but it can be done.
    I know it can be done, and I have seen it done many many times, I just didnt have time to go through every single admissions policy on the websites of all universities in the top 30, this is something the OP could have done for themself.

ReputationRep:
    I know it can be done, and I have seen it done many many times, I just didnt have time to go through every single admissions policy on the websites of all universities in the top 30, this is something the OP could have done for themself.
    I understand, but I was hoping to see personal stories about people who repeated their A Levels and did well despite doing badly the first time round. And thank you guys for sharing your stories.

The university websites don't have this.

ReputationRep:
    I got in to Newcastle for an MEng but taking 12 unit engineering with maths and physics, I think it's better when btecs and a levels are paired up

ReputationRep:
    If you can predicted AAA for A2 to include bio and chem then you will be able to apply (some med schools will accept AAB predicitions)! you would just need to pull those grades up next year!
    pM me if you want anymore advice.
    Maths i am only 2UMS away from an A. And one module of physics i was sure i did well so i am sending both my math and phy for a remark. Physics i was sure i did good in one module. Fingers crossed

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.