Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melissatang)
    Hi, I called a uni and they offered me a place and told me to apply on track at 3pm.I put down my new option and it says that the uni is considering my application . Does this mean I've definitely got a place or could there still be a chance that they'll reject me . thanks!
    If you have phone call confirmation then they won't reject you, don't worry. They may be busy so take a while to accept it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowBoy)
    How long does it take usually from making something a clearing choice and getting it confirmed. I've been waiting for about an hour and can't help but feel something's wrong
    Again, don't worry. One of my choices took about 3-4 hours to accept me. As I said it depends on how busy your particular university is. As it's the first day, don't worry if they take a while. If they've accepted you over the phone you'll get that place. If you're still concerned like I was, email in and just remind them

ReputationRep:
    Where did you originally apply to and for what subject? Did you consider looking at other options after AS results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horsewithnoname)
    Where did you originally apply to and for what subject? Did you consider looking at other options after AS results?
    Do you mean AS or A2? Psychology was always what I applied for & it was at Royal Holloway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Do you mean AS or A2? Psychology was always what I applied for & it was at Royal Holloway.
    AS. I haven't done as well as expected, so I'm looking into other options. I was just wondering if you considered looking into other universities with lower grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horsewithnoname)
    AS. I haven't done as well as expected, so I'm looking into other options. I was just wondering if you considered looking into other universities with lower grades
    I didn't do as well as expected during AS either. Honestly, I didn't consider universities I didn't think reflected my ability so if you're interested, Scottish degrees are 4 years long and have lower entry requirements despite being some really good universities. Perhaps look into those

ReputationRep:
    To be completely honest I felt singled out. I had people around me with B's and A's who could ring up and get into a course they didn't even apply for in the first place - simply because they had the grades. I felt that universities didn't take your passion or ability into consideration in any type of way. They took people who could do badly on a course but "hey it's okay, they've got good grades that we can show off!" I felt horrible being rejected from my firm because I felt like I didn't have a plan anymore.
    It sounds like you just picked yourself straight back up again and made it happen. That's pretty amazing. Did you confirm Aberdeen on results day or a few hours later?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    If you ever get the sack from TSR, you'd make a good interviewer
    :lol:

I felt like I was being interviewed for an online article, haha.
    Ooops sorry buddy! This is a great idea for a thread
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by She-Ra)

Tbf, it helps to stimulate the thread, so not a bad thing

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you just picked yourself straight back up again and made it happen. That's pretty amazing. Did you confirm Aberdeen on results day or a few hours later?
    It was actually about a week later. I spent the whole week trying to get through to other universities that kept lowering their entry as time went by.

ReputationRep:

No don't be sorry haha. I made this thread for questions all are welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Was finding on campus accommodation hard since you applied to the uni so late compared to the other people who had it locked in earlier in the year?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    It was actually about a week later. I spent the whole week trying to get through to other universities that kept lowering their entry as time went by.
    Just shows you don't have to rush to make a decision on results day - you have plenty of time!

Did you manage to sort first year accommodation on campus? Was there any left?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Don't think I could do that. To be honest, if I hadn't got my UC, and I wasn't accepted, I probably would've said **** uni, got a few bottles of vodka, find a hotel and drink to oblivion in the hotel, splashing the little cash I had, before crawling home, and hoping my parents had some kind of idea about I should've progressed with my life.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think I could do that. To be honest, if I hadn't got my UC, and I wasn't accepted, I probably would've said **** uni, got a few bottles of vodka, find a hotel and drink to oblivion in the hotel, splashing the little cash I had, before crawling home, and hoping my parents had some kind of idea about I should've progressed with my life.
    I don't blame you. I was basically locked in my room the entire week looking like a teary mess. I was so close to calling universities I knew would take absolutely any grades but somehow, I held on. All the universities that I got through eventually were full up or didn't want my grades - they didn't give a **** about how passionate I was. It was really sad to see

ReputationRep:
    Do the clearing grade boundaries drop after the first day of clearing?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I don't blame you. I was basically locked in my room the entire week looking like a teary mess. I was so close to calling universities I knew would take absolutely any grades but somehow, I held on. All the universities that I got through eventually were full up or didn't want my grades - they didn't give a **** about how passionate I was. It was really sad to see
    Yeh, I think this is the perception most people see which is a bit unfortunate! Hey ho, still looking forward to UEA (I hope I'm not thinking you're someone else!)

ReputationRep:
    Just shows you don't have to rush to make a decision on results day - you have plenty of time!

Did you manage to sort first year accommodation on campus? Was there any left?
    Oh god but I was rushing. I accepted one offer because it was the first I got after so long then I decided to follow my heart and ask them to release me. It was so difficult because then I didn't have a university again.

There wasn't any on campus but luckily I got a place literally 30 seconds from the university which was ironically closer than uni accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I think this is the perception most people see which is a bit unfortunate! Hey ho, still looking forward to UEA (I hope I'm not thinking you're someone else!)
    I am indeed the right person but I decided to withdraw from the transfer & stay where I am!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I am indeed the right person but I decided to withdraw from the transfer & stay where I am!
    Ahhhh, fair enough! Well, I guess at least it's good you're staying there for continuity sake - any particular reason??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.