Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretagent98)
    I tried to speak to my teachers about it today and they weren't very supportive, ended up getting a lecture about how I need to do more work and grow up when I stayed behind most nights until 6 revising then going home doing extra work and when I asked to resit I got 'whats the point you'll only mess up again'. Anyway 2 of my subjects are linear so even though I didn't do too well it's a fresh start and can do miles better next year and I'm resitting Spanish
    It's mostly a matter of whether you like these subjects. Do you find them relatively mundane or do you have a strong ambition for them? Personally i don't really like economics and ended up with a U,simply because i lacked interest in it and so barely put any work into it. From my viewpoint, if you do not like the subjects you do, you probably wouldn't get that A,B or even a C that you wanted. If it is merely the lack of a strong work ethic, my advice would be to retake the year, concentrate more and work harder.

Personally i take a particularly long time to grasp concepts (no matter how simple or abstruse), and so in my opinion you don't have to set a time frame when you work, it's more about understanding the subject, if that means you take an hour, two or maybe 8, as long as you understand what you are doing that is all that matters.

That is briefly how i work. Some people may feel guilty that one subject is prioritized over the other when using such a study method, if that is the case then setting a time frame might be necessary. But mostly it's about setting up what works for you, what grades do you want and what is the best way for you to get them?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know colleges will to accept AS retakes in London ???

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do so well either I only got BCDD so I've dropped Economics (where I got a D) and I'm going to have to retake Geography (D as well) and French (C)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid_Glitch)
    It's mostly a matter of whether you like these subjects. Do you find them relatively mundane or do you have a strong ambition for them? Personally i don't really like economics and ended up with a U,simply because i lacked interest in it and so barely put any work into it. From my viewpoint, if you do not like the subjects you do, you probably wouldn't get that A,B or even a C that you wanted. If it is merely the lack of a strong work ethic, my advice would be to retake the year, concentrate more and work harder.

Personally i take a particularly long time to grasp concepts (no matter how simple or abstruse), and so in my opinion you don't have to set a time frame when you work, it's more about understanding the subject, if that means you take an hour, two or maybe 8, as long as you understand what you are doing that is all that matters.

That is briefly how i work. Some people may feel guilty that one subject is prioritized over the other when using such a study method, if that is the case then setting a time frame might be necessary. But mostly it's about setting up what works for you, what grades do you want and what is the best way for you to get them?
    I love all of my subjects, yes I've found this year extremely difficult but even in my mocks I got 4 B's, I need AAB for my university course that I want to do so realistically wanted BBC atleast. I know people think it sounds cliché but I've always wanted to do Languages at Uni it's not something that developed over night since my first French lesson in primary school I've wanted this, just feel like I've let myself down especially since I can't resit

ReputationRep:
    Abc

ReputationRep:
    did better than me I got DDE, which my teachers are shocked about...

ReputationRep:
    Even if your teachers say 'what's the point?' you go ahead and prove those disbelievers wrong! A teacher should encourage and not demotivate.

If they don't let you resit in school then drop out and do it externally (costs money but it will be worth it ).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretagent98)
    I love all of my subjects, yes I've found this year extremely difficult but even in my mocks I got 4 B's, I need AAB for my university course that I want to do so realistically wanted BBC atleast. I know people think it sounds cliché but I've always wanted to do Languages at Uni it's not something that developed over night since my first French lesson in primary school I've wanted this, just feel like I've let myself down especially since I can't resit
    Hmm. Okay i would probably say an improvement in your work ethic is necessary. For example, before exams i used to get 80% to 90% on average in C2, 80% to 90% on average in C1 as well. I ended up with a C in C1 and a D in C2 and somehow an A in S1. My problem wasn't whether i understood the work or not but it was my work ethic. I never really put in much work in C1 or C2 by the exam period because i improved from a C at the start of the AS course to A's and B's. I was massively impressed by my improvement that i let my work ethic completely fall apart and hence my grades. Now as i am studying C3 and getting ready to do C12 (i am changing to IAL) i decided to refine the way i work in order to turn those weaknesses i had during the exam (e.g. time management) into strengths. If you are completely passionate about the subjects you do, my advice would be to create a study method that aims at your weaknesses to change them into strengths. Anyway that is just my personal opinion hope it could help. From the grades i got i learned that i shouldn't let good grades and a zeal for success cloud my judgement, you could still get that U if you don't put in that work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.