Turn on thread page Beta

Worst possible A Level results watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wow that sucks, sorry about that. Yes I would definitely suggest retaking. If at first you don't succeed keep trying until you do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I feel myself)
    Getting into a well paid finance job isnt just about what university you went to. I know many people who are working in insurance jobs with degrees from university outside top 20 who are on £500 a day. You don't know what you're talking about
    Firstly, I was originally replying to the OP who actually achieved EEC with expectations of BCC.

Secondly, I didn't disagree completely with you. Note that I said that success would be more difficult, not impossible. I stand by that position. I have worked with many people who have achieved far, far more than those with apparently better academic qualifications - quality and effort are both important.

Thirdly, I don't think I need to take life lessons from someone who hasn't managed to get into their first or second choice university. And doesn't know how clearing works. And thinks their heart produces blood. And wants to know how much students spend on shampoo per month. However, congratulations on knowing many people who earn so much money. You must walk in exalted circles.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Pudge666)
    How would you know? If he got a place in a uni and worked hard to get 1st honour degree his life is sorted. I know some guy who went to portmousth university and scored 96% in his 1st year , ended up in a prestigious university after.
    (Original post by I feel myself)
    Getting into a well paid finance job isnt just about what university you went to. I know many people who are working in insurance jobs with degrees from university outside top 20 who are on £500 a day. You don't know what you're talking about
    Ageshallnot is right to say the OP would face significant hurdles to getting a finance job even if he achieved the grades he expected. Finance is one of the few professions where going to a highly rated university matters, and BCC just isn't going to cut it. A lot of these companies use A level grades to filter the number of applicants, often they won't even read your application unless you meet a certain benchmark (usually ABB+).

ReputationRep:
    I think you should resit your A levels. There may be other routes into university (foundation year and Access to HE have already been mentioned) but if you were to go down this route, those A level grades are going to be an ugly blot on your CV forever. The best way to extirpate them is to resit, and aim high. To some future employer, seeing a bunch of poor A level grades, followed a year later by good ones, shows that you have commitment and determination.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.