Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by correiat)
    I am thinking of doing a BTEC in Level 3 Science as it consists of mainly Biology, I have applied and am waiting for a reply! Thanks for the advice. I definitely will do what my heart says and stop listening to others
    Fab, wishing you all the luck :heart:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey! :hello:

I think that a BTEC could be an absolutely amazing solution for you, in order for you to get to university. I too did quite badly in my AS levels and found the the assessment type would get to me and make me ill, it's just not how I'd like to be assessed.

BTEC is a lot more coursework based and is probably easier-going than A levels. You could get a part time job to get some money, and more importantly some work experience which can be really helpful after uni.

These will help you get to uni! My sister studied for a science-related BTEC and ended up at Cardiff University studying Biomedical science. My other sister did a BTEC in health and social care (or something related to that) and went on to study Psychology at the University of Chester.

I also asked if I could cram 12 units into a year, rather than do the full course, and they let me. So I ended up in the same group of people I would have been going to uni with anyway. That said, I had a year out later down the line and I still ended up graduating with the same people, as people take years out/gap years/years in industry.

If you're in doubt, call the university and ask if they'd take a BTEC and what subjects they'd be looking for. :yy:

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    yesterday i got my results and found i got D, D, D, E. E in biology which is the only subject i actually wanted to take. I cant retake the year because the specifications have changed for all or most subjects. what are my options?
    I was in a very similar situation a year ago. I would suggest u do A2 as the same time as retaking some AS units.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm the same. However I failed mine and am going back to my old school and doing AS Level all over again so I will now be in the yearbelow my actual age group. I am prepared to restart as I think it would be better for me to start fresh.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=tammymxx;67056510]
    yesterday i got my results and found i got D, D, D, E. E in biology which is the only subject i actually wanted to take. I cant retake the year because the specifications have changed for all or most subjects. what are my options?[/QiUOTE]
    I was in a very similar situation a year ago. I would suggest u do A2 as the same time as retaking some AS units.
    i want to do material science and engineering , got 4D'S... failed but because it's linear i think i got a second chance of retaking maths and applying for uni's through adjustment because i don't want to go to a crap uni next year despite failing this year.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty, i dont feel like redoing yr12 is the thing for me. if i failed the first time, what tells me i wont again? why should i waste time risking a fail, when I could still get equivalent alevels and actually progress? please tell me what you think

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.