Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you going to raise bilingual children? watch

ReputationRep:
    That's a good question. I am bilingual, French and English. My parents speak French to me so before starting school I grew up speaking in french always, now I speak English permanently. However I can speak it fluently and understand perfectly. Like other people said having more than one language at hand is very useful especially if the parent speaks anything other than English, no harm in teaching the child. My cousin's mum is French Caribbean, dad Pakistani, so they both speak their own language to their children and the eldest can speak Arabic, Urdu, English and French! I think it would be worth teaching my kids French too as I have a lot of French speaking family. Another example is I have a 12 year old cousin who has a French speaking dad. She can only just understand a few words in French but can only speak English. It's tough for her to understand and talk to members of the family like our grandma back home who can only speak in French so communication is VERY limited sadly. Take this as a lesson guys!

(Original post by ImagineCats)
    Deffo raising them speaking German!
    Is German your native language?

(Original post by adesola15)
    As someone who picked up a language just from having 2 parents speak it to eachother at home, the best way is to live with someone who speaks your second language and speak it as much as possible while at home. This way they learn it with no extra effort, while honing their English skills at school, so its half and half on the languages they hear.
    Which language is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Make39kButNoHoes)
    Don't want children but if I adopt then I'll make sure they learn French, Arabic, German and urban.
    Whats urban? Making 39k a year and having no hoes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestShadow)
    Whats urban? Making 39k a year and having no hoes?
    PRSOM every damn time (your posts give me life)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    they're gonna learn languages at school, obviously. I most definitely won't teach them my country of origins language.
    This is probably a bad idea, mainly because schools are often terrible at teaching languages, and the way you learn languages as a young child vs when you're in school is totally different. If you teach your kids the language of your country of origin, they'll have both that and the language they go to school in as their native language. This is great because they'll never have to study either language to be able to speak it. There are also numerous cognitive benefits to speaking multiple languages, and it actually makes it easier to learn a 3rd language, even if that language is completely unrelated to the first two. You should teach your kids your native language.

ReputationRep:
    Probably.
    But then I'll have to speak to them in English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Is German your native language?
    Nope but its a passion and means a lot to me and Im in the habit of speaking it quite a lot so my kids will pick it up

ReputationRep:
    Depends whom I wifey :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Would be a shame to not pass on the 2 languages I speak fluently to my kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Depends whom I wifey :innocent:
    In this day and age,it's a huge advantage. Especially if you speak two languages anyway,no matter who the wifey or husband is. I would teach my kids to be multilingual no matter who I end up marrying*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    In this day and age,it's a huge advantage. Especially if you speak two languages anyway,no matter who the wifey or husband is. I would teach my kids to be multilingual no matter who I end up marrying*
    For sure, but you have the privilege of already being bilingual, whereas I do not, hence it is contingent upon she whom I shall wed being the one to lovingly, diligently tutor our children in this area

ReputationRep:
    For sure, but you have the privilege of already being bilingual, whereas I do not, hence it is contingent upon she whom I shall wed being the one to lovingly, diligently tutor our children in this area
    ah okay. Well you must have an abundance of multilingual wenches/wifeys *to choose from anyway*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Well you must have an abundance of multilingual wenches/wifeys *to choose from anyway
    Wenches, yes, wifeys, no. Only one girl I've had my sights set on in terms of marriage material in the past few years

(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Yep. Would be a shame to not pass on the 2 languages I speak fluently to my kids.
    Which languages?

(Original post by ImagineCats)
    Nope but its a passion and means a lot to me and Im in the habit of speaking it quite a lot so my kids will pick it up
    That's great.

ReputationRep:
    Wenches, yes, wifeys, no. Only one girl I've had my sights set on in terms of marriage material in the past few years
    lucky girl! Is she bilingual?

ReputationRep:
    Ja

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    Which languages?
    English and Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    My partner and I aren't planning on having kids for quite a while, but the plan is for one of us to speak one language exclusively in the household, and the other to speak a different language exclusively. Ideally, if we're living abroad, those languages will be English and the language of the country/region, but if we're living in Scotland the plan is for either or both of us to learn Gaelic, and speak English and Gaelic in the household.
    This is actually a pretty common method - it's shown that kids tend to take longer to learn to read and write, as they're learning these skills for two languages, and they tend to pick up on the spoken language quicker.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.