Why do poor people have children?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catholicgirl)
    I don't understand why people who can barely afford to look after themselves will then bring children into the world who will grow up with a low standard of living.
    A few reasons:
    - the joy of watching a human being develop
    - child benefit
    - a sense of achievement
    - accident
    - the pride of watching a human being develop
    - pretty much all of the reasons that rich people have children
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    such a loving family
    The girl in the corner looks way too excited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    I don’t think you understand how little child benefits are.
    Eldest/Only child = £20.70 a week
    Other children = £13.70
    Don’t forget the benefit cap.
    So personally you are bearing a tiny part of this, considering over 30million people are working and paying taxes
    But the child benefits culture is destroying society. People will have so many children that they are better off staying at home claiming benefits rather than working. This leads to parents setting a bad example to their children then the children will then follow in the parents footsteps by claiming benefit and having children they cannot afford and this will be done by their children and their children's children. It's a never ending poverty cycle. IT NEEDS TO STOP

ReputationRep:
    It's because they're scum

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should have the option of having children and a family so I don't think it's selfish. I do however cringe and feel bad for children who are born into families who already have loads of children and are on benefits and the parents have no jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    WRT your screenname

spot on!

ReputationRep:
    WRT your screenname

Spot on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    spot on!
    Not all Catholics are the same.I am quite liberal (and so are other young Catholics nowadays). DON'T PUT US ALL IN ONE BOX.

ReputationRep:
    WRT your screenname

Not all Catholics are the same.I am quite liberal (and so are other young Catholics nowadays). DON'T PUT US ALL IN ONE BOX.

ReputationRep:
    It's completely irresponsible and selfish. Scrap child benefit and privatise healthcare, that'll put them off.

ReputationRep:
    Poor people are allowed to want children too.

I don't think they shouldn't be allowed to breed but if they really can't afford it then they should have the sense just just have one. Its only selfish when they have several and then complain about struggling to feed them but then this also happens to wealthier people too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 68, and brought up a Catholic. There is nothing about the RCChurch that you can tell me. And, by the way, I have 7 children.

ReputationRep:
    But the child benefits culture is destroying society. People will have so many children that they are better off staying at home claiming benefits rather than working. This leads to parents setting a bad example to their children then the children will then follow in the parents footsteps by claiming benefit and having children they cannot afford and this will be done by their children and their children's children. It's a never ending poverty cycle. IT NEEDS TO STOP
    Do you honestly think that people would have thousands of kids just to reach the benefits cap?

ReputationRep:
    So your saying anyone who is poor shouldn't have children? You realise so many successful adults who contribute so much to society come from poor families. If anything growing up in a poor household usually inspires the child to make something of themselves so they don't have to raise their children in the same environment

ReputationRep:
    So a liberal catholic is someone who's more judgemental about people they don't think are rich enough to have kids than an oldschool catholic :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Because, as you stated, they are people.

ReputationRep:
    So a liberal catholic is someone who's more judgemental about people they don't think are rich enough to have kids than an oldschool catholic :unsure:
    Saying poor people should not have children is not judgmental it is commonsense!

ReputationRep:
    roll ends and say this g

ReputationRep:
    How are any of you to know why a person from a poor background would want children? I come from a poor background and I find what a lot of you are saying really offensive.

Every situation is different and I don't think the situation boils down to the one reason. People who are poor may not be prepared for the situation (like a lot of parents are IMO, not just poor folk) or they may really want kids.

I don't condone those who do it for reasons like extra benefits etc but it doesn't always come down to that. My family haven't had the easiest life in terms of money, however my mum has had a rough time for her own unfortunate reasons, and I'd say living in a tight money environment has made me and my siblings better with money and appreciate things more. Oh and my siblings & I are all working or doing well academically. *

ReputationRep:
    Saying poor people should not have children is not judgmental it is commonsense!
    Telling them not to have children is not common sense that is just being ignorant. Common sense is for the government to educate the poor more about the costs of having children.

Tbh poor families don't have that many children in the western world, the real problem is in the developing countries where they don't have a good welfare system nor a good access to education so they do not know much about contraception hence families from poorer backgrounds have a lot of children.

ReputationRep:
    So what it's their Human right to have children.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.