Turn on thread page Beta

Dixons Retail group (Currys Dixons PCWorld Link) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    if its been over 10 years since you last visited a store I think you’ve got absolutly no room to comment!
    I can't help but get the feeling that Dixons XL is modelled on Satan's Kingdom - terrible place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I can't help but get the feeling that Dixons XL is modelled on Satan's Kingdom - terrible place.
    Whats Dixons XL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    Whats Dixons XL?
    Hell on Earth!

Also-known-as the new concept stores - 10 times larger than your usual Dixons (well the one in Brum is, anyway).

I really hate the place! Not least because there are only about two manned tills in an absolutely massive space (spread over a couple of floors).

It is impossible to find what you are looking for in less than 20mins, unless you are after a plasma screen telly (which of course everybody is). :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Hell on Earth!

Also-known-as the new concept stores - 10 times larger than your usual Dixons (well the one in Brum is, anyway).

I really hate the place! Not least because there are only about two manned tills in an absolutely massive space (spread over a couple of floors).

It is impossible to find what you are looking for in less than 20mins, unless you are after a plasma screen telly (which of course everybody is). :rolleyes:
    Lol, it's nice to wander round though, looking at stuff. I'd never buy from there myself though.

Currys sold my gran a Packard Bell computer to sit in the corner of her dining room and gather dust, which she could just about write letters on. Though I should be thankful because it was that which gave me a head start at using the things when our school actually bothered to buy some PCs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuz)
    Ok I work for Currys, and unlike all the other employers I have ever worked for, I do feel the need to defend it, as it is a great company, and I like working for them…and no I ain’t been brainwashed!

Only Dixons high street actually, because it was found that the larger retail stores on retail parks are more profitable. DSG are the biggest electrical sellers in the country, and their profit keeps increasing every year, due to ever increasing sales, obviously driven by more customers. No sales ppl that I work with are money hungry in the slightest. The commission brackets are worked out so that selling the best of the best products earn you more money, so it pays to care about the customers so 1. you sell a customer the best quality product you can 2. the customer will be satisfied 3. the customer will come back or recommend to others, that how sales men make their money by giving good customer service, so if you could call them money hungry by trying to give you the best service possible, so be it. Even our periodic bonus is based on customer service NOT sales figures. We get our bonus worked out on how we perform on a mystery shopper test and then also 10 phone calls to customers that have shopped there.

1993 that is over 10 years ago! if your complaints were to actually have some credit, you should have at least have shopped there recently!

That’s kind of you, wishing that I lose my job, and I have no idea what a Richersound is!

Matsui DVD is £29.99 actually, not much difference!

I have to admitt that is very funny

Well buy it there then, I have to admitt scarts and usb’s are a rip off, but loads of ppl do buy them, so they must be doing something right!

I hope some exec sees this post and give s me a big fat bonus for my trouble Nah seriously DSG is a good company, and believe it or not they do care about customers and not only about profit and if its been over 10 years since you last visited a store I think you’ve got absolutly no room to comment!
    Well my dear Kuz, I use to work at PC World, and I for one know what its like. I don't see the need to start a whole thread dedicated to demeaning sales people, cause at the end of the day they are just trying to make a living. In sales, it's highly competitive too, and profit margins aren't really that high on things like PC's.

With regards to the coverplan, I tihnk it's one of the best, I mean if you break something, or it gets stolen you get a replacement, and if they can't replace it, they send you vouchers up to the full amount. I mean I got my PDA last Xmas and I took out the cover, and it got stolen, and I was given vouchers worth £600.

I really dispise threads like this. So demeaning. Outlets like these are good for consumers who aren't in the 'know' about current technology, I mean in all seriousness, when I worked at PC World I very rarely saw any 14 day returns, and most customers were quite happy at spending £1000+ on their brand new PC. Yes, some things are overpriced in comparison to places like Microdirect, but you have to take into account all the overheads incurred by the stores, you pay for the level of service and after sales support, you know that when you leave the store that if you do get any problems, you can trust the well established name for aftersales support.

Why do you think people countinue to buy things in the shops as opposed to making their purchases online? Like dial-a-phone or take out those adverts through the paper. Sheesh people.

The only thing I have against DSG is the poor pay, when I worked part time, (hehehe, 16 years old!)

ReputationRep:
    I read a letter in some PC magazine where a PC World salesperson admitted that he knew that first-time PC buyers are so n00bish and buy anything with a massive number in it's name but didn't give a crap because it was all about making money. For example, he described one week where there were 2 PC deals, both for £699. One came with a Pentium 4 2.5Ghz while the other came with a Celeron 2.8Ghz. No prizes for guessing which one sold the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jediknight007)
    I read a letter in some PC magazine where a PC World salesperson admitted that he knew that first-time PC buyers are so n00bish and buy anything with a massive number in it's name but didn't give a crap because it was all about making money. For example, he described one week where there were 2 PC deals, both for £699. One came with a Pentium 4 2.5Ghz while the other came with a Celeron 2.8Ghz. No prizes for guessing which one sold the most.
    That particular person is in the minority, I can assure you.

The computer I am using now, which is an Athlon 2.8+ 512MB RAM 128 Ati Radeon etc, I bought it from Dixons in Newcastle for £1000. Not that bad.

ReputationRep:
    Heheh, the last time I bought anything from PC World was when I needed a new PSU urgently and it cost me £40!

I'd hate to buy a whole system from anywhere like there now. I'd hate the feeling that any part not listed on the board on display has been replaced with the cheapest, crappiest possible part (I've seen PCs sold for high CPU speeds and RAM and HDD space sold at a "wonderful" price but because they have crap 2D onboard graphics). I'd hate it not having the manuals for all of my components. I'd hate to be told lies on the shop floor when I ask how upgradeable it is, heck I'd wanna take the side off and inspect it myself! Also I just couldn't stand the way they won't support you at all if you upgrade it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Heheh, the last time I bought anything from PC World was when I needed a new PSU urgently and it cost me £40!

I'd hate to buy a whole system from anywhere like there now. I'd hate the feeling that any part not listed on the board on display has been replaced with the cheapest, crappiest possible part (I've seen PCs sold for high CPU speeds and RAM and HDD space sold at a "wonderful" price but because they have crap 2D onboard graphics). I'd hate it not having the manuals for all of my components. I'd hate to be told lies on the shop floor when I ask how upgradeable it is, heck I'd wanna take the side off and inspect it myself! Also I just couldn't stand the way they won't support you at all if you upgrade it yourself.
    Yep, those Advent/E machines are some of the worst (internaly) PCs I have ever had the miss fortune to repair.

I still want them to justify why their cheapo USB cables cost £15.

ReputationRep:
    I hope Dixons lives for a long time. Not because I want to buy anything there (I'm not that stupid), but because its fantastic for looking, touching and testing what you are planning to buy over the internet. That is what I have been doing on my quest to find a laptop I want.

Example of Dixons Crappness:

Prices for Sony S1XP laptop:
    -Dixons instore price - £1999.90
    -laptopsdirect.co.uk price - £1592.00

Absolutely shocking!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    you pay for the level of service and after sales support
    Ha!

ReputationRep:
    for computer stuff go to overclockers.co.uk

or aria.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    The computer I am using now, which is an Athlon 2.8+ 512MB RAM 128 Ati Radeon etc, I bought it from Dixons in Newcastle for £1000. Not that bad.
    you probably got a cheapo monitor (or no monitor), cheapo motherboard, cheapo powersupply, and few extras.

£1000 for a pc is a lot, I could build a better one for half the price.

ReputationRep:
    Went to PC world - good laptop for me - £900

Went to local independant PC store, better laptop - £500 and they sell cartridges/do repairs for cheap, especially if you're a repeat customer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Went to PC world - good laptop for me - £900

Went to local independant PC store, better laptop - £500 and they sell cartridges/do repairs for cheap, especially if you're a repeat customer.
    Yep for customer service you really can't beat the local PC store.

Take a look at this Dixons price for the most basic Toshiba DVD playert is £79.95

Richer Sounds price for a better Toshiba DVD player

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/index....p&p=sd330blkr2

£49.95 and this one is quite a lot better than Dixons £80 one.

ReputationRep:
    I hope the dixons on the strand doesn't shut down i bought a philips HDD off them for £300 and it#s totally buggered up after 3 months. I would quite like them to offer me an ipod as a replacement :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Though they are good for trying out PCs/TVs etc; smaller companies often can't afford or don't have room to keep a large stock of equipment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Though they are good for trying out PCs/TVs etc; smaller companies often can't afford or don't have room to keep a large stock of equipment.
    They should have demonstration rooms though, any decent HIFI shop has them, basicaly you try out kit in a room with a sofa bringing your own music.

Its only really Argos where you can't do this.

ReputationRep:
    I also work for the Dixons group, in there central distribution centre. Im not going to defend them on their pricing, because places like http://www.technoworld.com (another one you should check out, v.cheap for sony laptops etc.) are much cheaper, but overall it's a good company that has fallen because of all the overhead costs of running proper outlets and not just internet/phone.

It doesn't desereve the amount of bad press that it receives.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.