Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hahsnsb)
    Durham was my insurance choice and I was originally allocated Hatfield but after accepting my place at Durham on results day I still have not received anything from any college, is anyone else still in the same position?
    Yeah I am, I was firm but near miss and still haven't heard anything so I emailed the office last night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabath)
    My daughter was told she had kept Castle on results day (she was a near miss , 1 ums off the A she required in Geology) but after not getting an email from the college after seven days she phoned admissions on thursday and was told she would be in Van Mildert.

Shes really disappointed as one of the reasons she choose Durham over Imperial was being in a traditional college - she would really have been happy in any of the traditional colleges but is not really looking forward to going to van Midert and is even considering deferring,

We phoned admissions ourselves and they apologized for what happened and explained how admissions to colleges worked. I suppose the method they use is the same for everyone but from what they told me I don't consider it very fair for those people who are very near misses.
    Just got my email from St. Aidans college today and I was a firm near miss too, originally getting a place from Hatfield. Bit disappointed really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tongeyyy)
    Just got my email from St. Aidans college today and I was a firm near miss too, originally getting a place from Hatfield. Bit disappointed really
    unlucky, though apparently Aidan's accommodation is really good. yet to hear what college i'm in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick Gekko)
    unlucky, though apparently Aidan's accommodation is really good. yet to hear what college i'm in
    Good luck mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabath)
    Received an email from VM at weekend.. Apparently after people who make their grades are automatically allocated to their college ,any students who didn't express a colllege preference are allocated a college(all apparently by computer) -. Near misses are then lumped in with everyone else - insurance places, clearing places etc and then allocated randomly by computer(however the website does say they will do their best to try to get you into your original college.).

I have a few thoughts on this. Surely near misses ( and especially near misses who have missed by the finest of margins) who a decision has obviously been made on before A Level results day should be allocated a college before results day , before any clearing candidates and maybe before any insurance candidates. If they are trying their best to keep you in your college surely they should also be allocated before students who expressed no preference. My daughter was only allocated to VM late on last thursday - a week after she was was confirmed. As I say its the same for everyone but IMHO students who have placed Durham as their First Choice and are very near misses should get priority over at least those who've got a place through clearing or as an insurance choice.
    I also have some thoughts on this.

Near-miss candidates are lucky that this year the number of candidates making their offer was smaller than the number of places available, so Durham was able to take some near-miss candidates.

Insurance candidates have presumably made their offer - does this put them above near-miss candidates in the pecking order?

When I looked on the Durham website on results day, the only course offering either adjustment places or clearing places was Pharmacy, so there will only be a very small number of those.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about which college you end up in.

I spent four very happy years at Grey, and had (and have) friends who were at Grey and most of the other colleges.

All of my friends insist their colleges were the best - but those who didn't go to Grey are alas wrong.

In other words - which ever college you go to, you'll enjoy....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)

Near-miss candidates are lucky that this year the number of candidates making their offer was smaller than the number of places available, so Durham was able to take some near-miss candidates.

Insurance candidates have presumably made their offer - does this put them above near-miss candidates in the pecking order?

When I looked on the Durham website on results day, the only course offering either adjustment places or clearing places was Pharmacy, so there will only be a very small number of those.
    Annoyed that I met my offer and am not even being offered College accommodation :/ (met my offer after remark). They're offering me a place in Teikyo University of Japan - thoughts? :s

(Original post by trident3)
    I wouldn't worry about which college you end up in.

I spent four very happy years at Grey, and had (and have) friends who were at Grey and most of the other colleges.

All of my friends insist their colleges were the best - but those who didn't go to Grey are alas wrong.

In other words - which ever college you go to, you'll enjoy....
    What about Teikyo University of Japan? That's what I've been offered in terms of accommodation, should I take it? :s really worried about being excluded etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tongeyyy)
    Good luck mate!
    got VM, not too bothered really, looking forward to going now. sure, it's not a castle but oh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)

Offer was actually met after remark - only needed half raw mark and got more, thats how close it was but was told before going for remark it wouldn't make any difference to college allocation.

Also got to say Durham are not very efficient with their system, the length of time it takes them to allocate colleges.

ReputationRep:
    While this thread is still current........if you found out you actually achieved your offer (after a remark) and therefore should really have got into your allocated college would admissions guarantee you getting into that college if you deferred till next year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuttsford)
    I'm in the same situation with Hild Bede - we should hopefully find out within the next few days
    Did you get relocated?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.