Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which part of Maths A-level do you think... watch

ReputationRep:
    the part where you have to force yourself to study a beautiful subject reduced to the *******isation they call "maths a-level"

ReputationRep:
    Vector questions can be quite difficult at first for a lot of people. For vectors though you just need to do loads of vector questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    the part where you have to force yourself to study a beautiful subject reduced to the *******isation they call "maths a-level"
    What do you suppose they should change to A level maths to more accurately reflect real maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank Peters)
    I will be starting maths A-level this september so I need some help.

Which part of maths A-level do you think was/is the hardest. And also which part of maths A-level do you think I should pay close attention to in the first year.

Could you please also give reasons why. Thank you!!!
    I acc scraped an A by one mark in as maths i got B in C1 and A in C2 and S1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    What do you suppose they should change to A level maths to more accurately reflect real maths?
    teach calculus as analysis properly instead of a bunch of unmotivated rules would be one of my key ideas, starts some number theory and set theory is another one. Not sure beyond that.

ReputationRep:
    teach calculus as analysis properly instead of a bunch of unmotivated rules would be one of my key ideas, starts some number theory and set theory is another one. Not sure beyond that.
    I think set theory is being introduced as part of the reform, as much as I hate to admit it, perhaps more geometry is needed too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    I think set theory is being introduced as part of the reform, as much as I hate to admit it, perhaps more geometry is needed too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    cri

ReputationRep:
    FP3 polar co-ordinate problems, anything else is easy.

ReputationRep:
    cri
    Maybe a Geometry 1-3? Not sure how subscribed it would be though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere on some preface of an analysis book that it's usually better to start with Calculus and then proceed into analysis because it gives the mental flexibility required to tackle analysis problems.
    I also disagree that calculus is a bunch of unmotivated rules without analysis. Historically calculus started before analysis was properly studied by the likes of Dirichlet, so again starting with calculus is even more natural in terms of the historical progression of ideas.

But I do agree that "some" analysis stuff must be taught, stuff like limits, continuity, convergence and series, as they're pretty much fundamental to the understanding of calculus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Geometry is the perfect subject all A-Level STEM students must learn. Learning how to prove things geometrically is such a powerful skill that makes you think absolutely differently. You learn how to form a cohesive argument, how to look for flaws or biases in your thinking, how to connect ideas, it's essential!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Geometry is the perfect subject all A-Level STEM students must learn. Learning how to prove things geometrically is such a powerful skill that makes you think absolutely differently. You learn how to form a cohesive argument, how to look for flaws or biases in your thinking, how to connect ideas, it's essential!
    Now that I think about it, having geometry as a stand alone module could cause the same lopsidedness in students understanding of maths, just in the opposite sense. Maybe reduce content but focus on more in depth understanding of it?

One anecdote I have is that when asked in class, a good 9/13 students didn't know the link between sin^2 +cos^2=1 and the equation for circles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    I read somewhere on some preface of an analysis book that it's usually better to start with Calculus and then proceed into analysis because it gives the mental flexibility required to tackle analysis problems.
    I also disagree that calculus is a bunch of unmotivated rules without analysis. Historically calculus started before analysis was properly studied by the likes of Dirichlet, so again starting with calculus is even more natural in terms of the historical progression of ideas.

But I do agree that "some" analysis stuff must be taught, stuff like limits, continuity, convergence and series, as they're pretty much fundamental to the understanding of calculus.
    didn't say calculus is a bunch of unmotivated rules, said A-Level calculus was.

ReputationRep:
    The hardest subject at A level maths for me was probably the nastier end of integration in C4.

ReputationRep:

Which part of maths A-level do you think was/is the hardest. And also which part of maths A-level do you think I should pay close attention to in the first year.

Apparently Mechanics and Decision maths are brutal and to be avoided. Try and do statistics if you can.

ReputationRep:

I am one of those weird people that finds mechanics easier than stats. I got lucky with the grade boundaries which is why I scraped a B in it. Just do past papers and if you want extra prep, do solomon papers. They are hard.

ReputationRep:
    didn't say calculus is a bunch of unmotivated rules, said A-Level calculus was.
    Fair enough, however my point was that you don't need real analysis to make sense out of calculus, unless you're studying calculus at higher levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    only useful if you can actually understand it, which very few doing maths actually understood Stats
    The combinatorics in S1 is hardly difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand edexcel a level maths, whats c1 d1 how do all these topics come together ? heLp!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're not very careful in D1/D2 it's very easy to run out of time in the exam. Practice time management with lots of past papers.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.