The Student Room Group

How long before GCSE exams should u start revising ???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonomon

Most researchers suggest starting 10 weeks before your first exam for the top grades, but everybody's different - some people will start 3 weeks before and burn out, others will start 20 weeks before and keep up their revision right until the end. I'd suggest a bit of trial and error, start with plenty of time to go so that you can afford to take breaks if you feel yourself starting to burn out. Good luck :smile:
Beginning of May = intense revision

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
For me, I started to revise early (eg. December) for the subjects that I was struggling in, or wanted to get A* in. Eg. I really wanted to get an A* in maths, after having only gotten an E in Year 10 so I started to revise for maths during my Christmas break, we'll see on Thursday if it has paid off, but nearing the start of my exams I was achieving A/A* in my classroom mocks.

On the other hand, I was really strong in my science subjects, so I didn't need to revise for them until February/March.
Reply 23
Original post by surina16
day before

Spoiler

same
Reply 24
I think I technically started feb half term, doing a small bit of maths. March/April was where I started science and maths semi properly, doing what I could, but May was full on everything. Or it was supposed to be anyway, I left quite a few subjects with less than a month to go, RE, ICT, History, few others. Certainly not wise, I'll change for A levels hopefully, but try to start 2 months in advance or more.
Reply 25
Early February with 2-3 hours a day

Posted from TSR Mobile

Start revising for mocks and then just don't stop but work it up slowly

Some people would advise against this but I would start revising subjects at different times. I started the sciences in January as I was not confident, I had failed my year 10 mock in chemistry, and had all 3 at a* in the mock before the exams. However, I started revising media studies a week before the exam and it felt like one of the easiest exams to me. Some subjects need more time than others and I would concentrate on weak subjects more.
However, make sure you don't ignore your preferred subjects completely though.
Completely depends on the person. I finished all my resources by January but didn't start actually revising until mid March. If I started any earlier I knew I would have got bored of it too quickly and wouldn't have wanted to revise when it actually mattered.

Quick Reply

Latest