Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zabveniye)
    Regardless of what other staff are doing, yes, you could be fired for this.

While it is unfair that others get away with it, that doesn't make it acceptable for you to be late so frequently. Two wrongs don't make a right, and etc. First and foremost you need to focus on your own work ethic and upholding your work responsibilities, such as being there on time.

I hope you don't get fired, though. If you have a chance to explain yourself to your manager, apologise and accept responsibility, mention any valid reasons that caused you to be late if there are any, and explain how you will change this if they keep you on. Get up and leave home half an hour earlier; being fifteen minutes early from now on will show them that you've learnt from your mistake.

Do you dislike your job, or just struggle to get going in the morning? Or are there other circumstances that cause you to be late regularly?
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am possibly going to be sacked on Monday for coming to work 15 min late on a regular basis at my office job for a small company in London. The issue I have is virtually everyone, including the directors, comes in late frequently, yet they have picked on me because I have only been there 18 months?
    Imagine if you were the boss. You would want employees who were reliable and trustworthy.

You have no idea what time these directors etc spend on work stuff outside of the actual office. If they come in 15 minutes late or more every day it doesn't effect you or your hours of contract.

(Original post by Dez)
    It really isn't.
    It really is, because everyone else comes late, and most of them are not entitled to come late, and therefore it is long accepted trait of the company culture. Sacking someone in this instance is far too harsh a penalty, and it would be downgraded to a verbal warning or a written warning, if that.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    It really is, because everyone else comes late, and most of them are not entitled to come late, and therefore it is long accepted trait of the company culture. Sacking someone in this instance is far too harsh a penalty, and it would be downgraded to a verbal warning or a written warning, if that.
    It's highly unlikely that your line manager would sack someone without a more senior manager being aware, especially in a small company. Have you spoken to said senior manager at all to find out what they think? Because if not, I don't really see how you can be certain they'll side with you, some new employee over a manager who has been working with them for a lot longer.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Do you know everyone elses working hours?

(Original post by Dez)
    It's highly unlikely that your line manager would sack someone without a more senior manager being aware, especially in a small company. Have you spoken to said senior manager at all to find out what they think? Because if not, I don't really see how you can be certain they'll side with you, some new employee over a manager who has been working with them for a lot longer.
    The MD said you may as well sack us all then! He clearly did not approve of the request, so it looks like never coming to pass.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.