Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Application to Oxbridge after surprise A2 results. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NHSFan)
    Oxford are renowned for being real 'GCSE Nazis'. Cambridge is more lenient with GCSEs, so perhaps she (?) would be better off finding a suitable course to apply for there.
    I'm actually a guy ahaha.. I think I will speak to both universities. I never dreamed of being in this position, so all this information is so useful!

ReputationRep:
    Did you resit any exams? If so, how many? (just curious )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellomynameisr)
    Did you resit any exams? If so, how many? (just curious )
    I resat the first unit of economics to bump it from a B to an A. I think someone told me once that Oxbridge hate people resitting? Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jezzaroonie)
    I resat the first unit of economics to bump it from a B to an A. I think someone told me once that Oxbridge hate people resitting? Is this true?
    I don't think they mind 1-3 resits but any more than that would raise some questions. However, since you are going to be a gap year applicant, they wouldn't know about your resits

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they mind 1-3 resits but any more than that would raise some questions. However, since you are going to be a gap year applicant, they wouldn't know about your resits
    Phew do you know if Oxbridge look kindly upon gap years? I realise some people consider it a wasted year?

ReputationRep:
    Phew do you know if Oxbridge look kindly upon gap years? I realise some people consider it a wasted year?
    As long as you use it prodcutively (relevant work experience, reading and those kind of supercurriculars), they shouldn't mind. In fact, I know quite a few reapplicants to Oxford, Not for E&M/PPE but still, they did things relevant to their subject (I think it was languages) and they got in!

ReputationRep:
    As long as you use it prodcutively (relevant work experience, reading and those kind of supercurriculars), they shouldn't mind. In fact, I know quite a few reapplicants to Oxford, Not for E&M/PPE but still, they did things relevant to their subject (I think it was languages) and they got in!
    aah.. I am planning to cycle across four continents. Perhaps I could cycle to pursue political world peace ahahhaha?

ReputationRep:
    aah.. I am planning to cycle across four continents. Perhaps I could cycle to pursue political world peace ahahhaha?
    Try to swing it in a way that made you seem you did things relevant to your course :lol: get the person doing your reference to do that somehow. Plus, I'm sure the most important thing (for Oxford) would be the admissions test. Not sure if it is the TSA? So if you can get high in it (top 25% of applicants), you should be guaranteed an interview.

ReputationRep:
    Try to swing it in a way that made you seem you did things relevant to your course :lol: get the person doing your reference to do that somehow. Plus, I'm sure the most important thing (for Oxford) would be the admissions test. Not sure if it is the TSA? So if you can get high in it (top 25% of applicants), you should be guaranteed an interview.
    Thank you! I have been reading an awful lot about PPE and I don't seem to be a suitable candidate. Whilst the maths isn't difficult for a student with AS or A level maths, it would be for someone who struggles with basic differentiation I may try and find an alternative course which requires less math intuition

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I have been reading an awful lot about PPE and I don't seem to be a suitable candidate. Whilst the maths isn't difficult for a student with AS or A level maths, it would be for someone who struggles with basic differentiation I may try and find an alternative course which requires less math intuition
    No worries, people applying to Oxbridge really inspire me, especially as you are a post A-level candidate Good luck with your gap year

I shall possibly see you there if I make the cut for Physics this year ( I am going into year 13)

ReputationRep:
    No worries, people applying to Oxbridge really inspire me, especially as you are a post A-level candidate Good luck with your gap year

I shall possibly see you there if I make the cut for Physics this year ( I am going into year 13)
    Ah! Totally go for it!! I was expecting BBB for A2, spent 8 hours a day in my cities library 6 days a week during study leave and ended up not doing too badly.
    Although if i had taken physics, I would have undoubtedly failed with flying colours.
    Goodluck!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm starting to think that too. Unfortunately, I love the theory side of economics, not the mathsy part. Thanks for the advice, kinda hit the nail on the head
    You could apply to PPE and do AS or AS+A2 Maths in your gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    You could apply to PPE and do AS or AS+A2 Maths in your gap year?
    Honestly, that is a great idea.. but I am taking a gap year to get away from studying, not to study more. Although, I will definitely think about it.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, that is a great idea.. but I am taking a gap year to get away from studying, not to study more. Although, I will definitely think about it.
    AS Maths would only take a few of hours of self-studying per week to get an A (use http://www.examsolutions.net/).

I would definitely do this if I were you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if this sounds rude but based off what I heard you don't stand a very likely chance because apparently they look at GCSEs more and the ratio of A*s?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply. A lot of crucial info. While I am OK at maths, I wouldn't say I have a budding interest in it. I will definitely have to speak to them and discuss how intense the mathematics involved in the course is. Thanks again!
    Economics at Cambridge is very maths-heavy. Without a-level maths, you won't be even invited for interview and most of successful applicants have done Further Maths, too, majority if them with high-A* in them. In some way, how you're good at a-level maths (and preferably FM, too) is even more important than a-level economics. If you don't like maths very much, you may not enjoy their economics course.

You'll have to think about it very carefully since you already have an offer at another university which you'll have to give up if you're reapplying.
    Your grades are good (not counting good grades in maths/fm) but they will not stand out among competitive Cambridge applicants, so there's no guarantee of getting an offer from them. All successful applicants very strong maths grades under their belt as they'll need it for their course.
    So My biggest worry is you're not very keen on maths, and if you much prefer theoretical side of economics, there are many other universities that may offer that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they would, you have to include all your resits on your UCAS application

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same sort of position: got A * A* A with v high UMS - predicted A* A A and my offer for my firm was A A A. Wonder if I should try for Cambridge next year & give up my existing offer - but scared in case I get rejected, not so much by Cambridge as other unis! EG, would my firm turn round & say 'You rejected us last time, go away?' Subject is Philosophy..
    Called Cambridge Admissions & they said if I already have a good uni, it's not worth the risk since already having the grades (my subject offer grade is A* A A) makes very little, if no difference. Struggle to see why that is, tbh! I know other things matter too, but my PS & ref are said to be 'outstanding' & school (state sixth form) say they would support me 100%. Just don't know what to do & clock is ticking...
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by sandstone)
    I am in the same sort of position: got A * A* A with v high UMS - predicted A* A A and my offer for my firm was A A A. Wonder if I should try for Cambridge next year & give up my existing offer - but scared in case I get rejected, not so much by Cambridge as other unis! EG, would my firm turn round & say 'You rejected us last time, go away?' Subject is Philosophy..
    Called Cambridge Admissions & they said if I already have a good uni, it's not worth the risk since already having the grades (my subject offer grade is A* A A) makes very little, if no difference. Struggle to see why that is, tbh! I know other things matter too, but my PS & ref are said to be 'outstanding' & school (state sixth form) say they would support me 100%. Just don't know what to do & clock is ticking...
    As per my answer in your other thread: it's your choice.

But just to be clear: your current university will not hold a grudge and is likely to re-offer you if you do decide to re-apply in your gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm starting to think that too. Unfortunately, I love the theory side of economics, not the mathsy part. Thanks for the advice, kinda hit the nail on the head
    Look at Cambridge land Ec

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.