Offering advice/help for Veterinary Medicine applicants!

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm hoping to apply for veterinary this October, I've been gathering work experience throughout the year, so that I have 9 weeks by the end of this summer and I hope to squeeze another week in before I apply. I got my AS results which I got ABBC, so my main worry is do you think this will be enough to get into a uni with? I know it's very competitive so any advice on how I could improve would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NFowles)
    Hello, I'm hoping to apply for veterinary this October, I've been gathering work experience throughout the year, so that I have 9 weeks by the end of this summer and I hope to squeeze another week in before I apply. I got my AS results which I got ABBC, so my main worry is do you think this will be enough to get into a uni with? I know it's very competitive so any advice on how I could improve would be appreciated.
    Those AS results are fine as long as you can get at least AAA predicted. As for work experience, I've seen people get in with less than you have, so assuming you have a mix of placements (farms, small animal vets, large animal vets, stables etc) then you're not out of the running. I would advise being careful where you apply though, Liverpool for example may be a risky choice.

There's loads of advice in the personal statement thread stickied at the top of the forum. We can give more specific advice if you have any specific questions To be honest it's going to be too late to improve massively with respect to work exp, extracurriculars etc, so from here it will be all down to your personal statement and interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm a "mature" student- just about to finish my first degree in Zoology, and am super nervous about sending my application next month. I was actually wondering where you applied and why.. I'm stuck between Liverpool (not sure about my work experience amount for them) and Surrey, and can't actually figure out how to decide which is the one for me. As i'm at uni in Cornwall it's kinda hard for me to go to open days.

Also wondering the cliché thing about my work experience, and whether or not its enough (a lot i got 4 years ago when i had more time)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieroese16)
    Hi!

I'm a "mature" student- just about to finish my first degree in Zoology, and am super nervous about sending my application next month. I was actually wondering where you applied and why.. I'm stuck between Liverpool (not sure about my work experience amount for them) and Surrey, and can't actually figure out how to decide which is the one for me. As i'm at uni in Cornwall it's kinda hard for me to go to open days.

Also wondering the cliché thing about my work experience, and whether or not its enough (a lot i got 4 years ago when i had more time)

Thanks!
    For Liverpool as a grad student you'll be expected to have done more work experience than a school leaver because you've had summers to do work experience.
    As a graduate I applied to Liverpool, Nottingham, Edinburgh and Bristol.

Avoid ed - ridiculously high fees! RVC I didn't realise was an option for me when I applied 3 years ago which was unfortunate for me as I could have done the 4 year course. I couldn't apply for Surrey so never looked there.

No-one can tell you where to pick, I can't give you my opinion on Surrey as I've never been to the vet school, as a third year grad student at Liverpool however I can give you my opinion on there.

Liverpool you start clinical ems from first year, you get hands on and start seeing practice from the very beginning. You also get taught clinical skills from year one which is pretty fun and exciting.
    We have a brand new veterinary teaching suite which we do clinical skills and practicals in, and it's a brilliant building.
    The uni itself is lovely, the campus has everything you need in a small area. Liverpool as a city is amazing, you've got the Wirral over the Mersey if you want some green spaces, 2 beaches (formby and Crosby) both easily accessible by bus if you fancy a day out and loads of stuff to do in town itself. The locals are friendly and always there to help you out if you need a hand. Everything is within walking distance/bus/train.

We have leahurst, where we have a massive referral hospital which you do rotations on in 4th and 5th year, a farm practice and a massive equine referral practice. We also have a first opinion small animal practice Liverpool side which you do rotations in. As far as getting clinical experience goes we have a good set up having leahurst and the Liverpool practices. You're not passed from and outside practice to another so you're kept within the university.

We have a working dairy farm over at leahurst as well as pig unit and sheep, which you get hands on with in the first few weeks of first year.

For ems if you live in Liverpool you've got loads of practices, large animal and equine over the Wirral so it's pretty easy to get placements.

I love the uni and the city, and I moved from a really rural area. I miss the fields and the silence but I love Liverpool and now I'm here I wouldn't choose to be anywhere else, but I obviously don't have any experience of Surrey so a Surrey vet student would be best to give you an insight into there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm hoping to apply for vet med in the future and could do with some advice on my current situation. I didn't do well at all with a levels (in 2013) yet got an unconditional offer for a degree which I'll be graduating from in January. I'm going back to college today to enrol for biology, chemistry and probably maths A levels while finishing my degree and will be building up W/Exp over the next year or two in order to apply. Is there anything I can do to boost my chances of getting in or any advice that can be given to help? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering what kind of issues might come up during an interview and what if we've never heard of it before, I freak out whenever this happens but I was just wondering what I should do if I really have 0 clue ? And any advice on what kind of questions to ask the interviewers, would questions unrelated to vet be ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lady lulu:))
    Hi I was wondering what kind of issues might come up during an interview and what if we've never heard of it before, I freak out whenever this happens but I was just wondering what I should do if I really have 0 clue ? And any advice on what kind of questions to ask the interviewers, would questions unrelated to vet be ok?
    No-one can give you specific issues which might come up in interviews as it would give an unfair advantage. They are unlikely to ask anything which you've never heard of before. If you're really not sure then just explain that you haven't had much experience with it before, and don't try and waffle your way through it and pretend you know what you're talking about.
    Questions for interviewers are personal to you, you could ask anything about the course or about something you're interested in. It's not essential for you to ask them questions however, I never did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what are you guys wearing for the interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizziefickling)
    For Liverpool as a grad student you'll be expected to have done more work experience than a school leaver because you've had summers to do work experience.
    As a graduate I applied to Liverpool, Nottingham, Edinburgh and Bristol.

Avoid ed - ridiculously high fees! RVC I didn't realise was an option for me when I applied 3 years ago which was unfortunate for me as I could have done the 4 year course. I couldn't apply for Surrey so never looked there.

No-one can tell you where to pick, I can't give you my opinion on Surrey as I've never been to the vet school, as a third year grad student at Liverpool however I can give you my opinion on there.

Liverpool you start clinical ems from first year, you get hands on and start seeing practice from the very beginning. You also get taught clinical skills from year one which is pretty fun and exciting.
    We have a brand new veterinary teaching suite which we do clinical skills and practicals in, and it's a brilliant building.
    The uni itself is lovely, the campus has everything you need in a small area. Liverpool as a city is amazing, you've got the Wirral over the Mersey if you want some green spaces, 2 beaches (formby and Crosby) both easily accessible by bus if you fancy a day out and loads of stuff to do in town itself. The locals are friendly and always there to help you out if you need a hand. Everything is within walking distance/bus/train.

We have leahurst, where we have a massive referral hospital which you do rotations on in 4th and 5th year, a farm practice and a massive equine referral practice. We also have a first opinion small animal practice Liverpool side which you do rotations in. As far as getting clinical experience goes we have a good set up having leahurst and the Liverpool practices. You're not passed from and outside practice to another so you're kept within the university.

We have a working dairy farm over at leahurst as well as pig unit and sheep, which you get hands on with in the first few weeks of first year.

For ems if you live in Liverpool you've got loads of practices, large animal and equine over the Wirral so it's pretty easy to get placements.

I love the uni and the city, and I moved from a really rural area. I miss the fields and the silence but I love Liverpool and now I'm here I wouldn't choose to be anywhere else, but I obviously don't have any experience of Surrey so a Surrey vet student would be best to give you an insight into there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I chose Liverpool and have an interview next week...now just gotta smash that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieroese16)
    Thank you! I chose Liverpool and have an interview next week...now just gotta smash that!
    Good luck, you'll do great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 6, 2016
TSR Support Team
Poll
Which is the best season?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.