Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    how many front office analysts went to london met? 0 probably
    also too bad your degree alone wont set you apart if there are up to a x number of others with the same degree or from a say more prestigious university fighting for that job to.

ReputationRep:
    how many front office analysts went to london met? 0 probably
    I know of someone who got into Citi for AM from London met but that was years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sketchymofo2)
    also too bad your degree alone wont set you apart if there are up to a x number of others with the same degree or from a say more prestigious university fighting for that job to.
    See, most people at prestigious unis (or at least those half-interested in actually getting a job) would know that, and take full advantage of all the EC on offer there

The sort of person who says "I'm at x therefore I'm guaranteed a job" (this is directed particularly towards humanities' students) doesn't deserve one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nursey_nurse)
    Why are people always trying to put you off of non prestigious universities? My friend and family members have all told me to go to a prestigious uni rather than a standard one. Would you say a prestigious uni holds higher teaching and educational standards or not?
    Oxbridge is overrated. Sadiq Khan went to London Met, while Michael Gove went to Cambridge. Look at them now.

I mean, Michael Gove ffs. The same prick who took out January exams.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    The sort of person who says "I'm at x therefore I'm guaranteed a job" doesn't deserve one.
    This is what most of TSR thinks, and it will slap them in the face once reality sets in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Oxbridge is overrated. Sadiq Khan went to London Met
    So did Corbyn lmao (or at least to one of its predecessors)

ReputationRep:
    So did Corbyn lmao (or at least to one of its predecessors)
    How did Corbyn even get into university with his **** A Level grades?

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge is overrated. Sadiq Khan went to London Met, while Michael Gove went to Cambridge. Look at them now.

Back in the good old days, you couldn't do law degrees at most universities so you had to go to polys like the University of North London. So Sadiq Khan's degree from London Met is perfectly respectable. Jeremy Corbyn dropping out on the other hand...

ReputationRep:
    Well, the North London Polytechnic/London Met will literally take anyone

ReputationRep:
    To be honest with you, it really depends on the field you want to go into, as some fields are obsessed with prestige and employers will be unlikely to consider your application without you attending a prestigious university.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the North London Polytechnic/London Met will literally take anyone
    London Met is on the rise though, I think it lost it's position as the worst university in London to Southbank now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Make39kButNoHoes)
    London Met is on the rise though, I think it lost it's position as the worst university in London to Southbank now.
    London Met will never lose its ranking!

ReputationRep:
    Back in the 1970s grade inflation barely existed, now its massive. Loads of universities that now accept people with As and Bs would have accepted people with Cs Ds and Es in the 1970s.

Getting a D grade in 1988 would put you around the 40th to 60th percentile whereas now it puts you around the 20th to 40th percentile.

ReputationRep:
    Back in the 1970s grade inflation barely existed, now its massive. Loads of universities that now accept people with As and Bs would have accepted people with Cs Ds and Es in the 1970s.

Getting a D grade in 1988 would put you around the 40th to 60th percentile whereas now it puts you around the 20th to 40th percentile.
    Interesting graph. I'm keeping this

ReputationRep:
    Interesting graph. I'm keeping this
    I just realized those are GCSE grades haha. The graph for A-Levels is more extreme. If you got an E in 1988 it would place you in the 30th to 50th percentile whereas getting an E in 2015 places you in 1.8 to 7.9th percentile.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_...e_1989_to_2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nursey_nurse)
    Okay yeah I've come to a conclusion now that prestige is important and I'll probably definitely go for the more prestigious University 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
    It depends on the subject and your future career. RG is a self-elected club and several good unis are not part of it e.g. Bath.

One of my students wanted to be an F1 engineer - I didn't recommend Oxbridge or RG for that career!

ReputationRep:
    On this subject, i would like some advice. I achieved A*A*M1 (cambridge pre-u) at A Level but was rejected by Durham a couple of days of waiting after results for History as my offer was D3 A* A and apparently the extra A* didn't make up for it. I am into QMUL which was my insurance. However I feel I still did really well and could potentially get in somewhere like Kings or UCL if I reapplied. How high is QMULs status, and how important do you think it is? Thanks.

ReputationRep:

Gove did English at Oxford, but your point still stands I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortoises172)
    On this subject, i would like some advice. I achieved A*A*M1 (cambridge pre-u) at A Level but was rejected by Durham a couple of days of waiting after results for History as my offer was D3 A* A and apparently the extra A* didn't make up for it. I am into QMUL which was my insurance. However I feel I still did really well and could potentially get in somewhere like Kings or UCL if I reapplied. How high is QMULs status, and how important do you think it is? Thanks.
    QMUL is a top tier university for Law and medicine but it isn't very good for other subjects. Its incredibly bad for Computer Science and EEE. I don't know about History

ReputationRep:
    I just realized those are GCSE grades haha. The graph for A-Levels is more extreme. If you got an E in 1988 it would place you in the 30th to 50th percentile whereas getting an E in 2015 places you in 1.8 to 7.9th percentile.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_...e_1989_to_2015
    More data for me I suppose, haha.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.