Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VS20 – Statement of Intent from the Secretary of State for Education Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with this statement of intent?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    60.00%
    On the contrary, No
    40.00%
    Abstain
    0%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I will give this more thoughts before I make a decision.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In all seriousness, Saracen's Fez can you remove my vote and I'll get out of the MP usergroup immediately.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I have come to a conclusion for this Statement of Intent by the Education Secretary and I will be voting in favour subjected to the following issues:
    1) To solve the controversial issue of "social mobility" I would like the Govt to consider opening new Grammar Schools and target areas where research has shown that those who are from disadvantage backgrounds are struggling to get the results needed to secure them a place for further education or vocational options. I would also like to see higher standards introduced at new and existing state schools and as the opposition, I will continue to put pressure on the Govt to deliver this.

2) I would strongly advise the Govt to consider removing basic economic concepts from the Maths curriculum and consider merging it into the PSHE curriculum because this will allow flexibility for the Govt to include more content into the PSHE curriculum. To make this work, I would suggest making PSHE complusory for all schools and that there should be at least x1 1 hour session a week. In addition to this, I would like to propose about introducing basic political concepts which looks at teaching children the principles of politics by focusing on theories etc. This would help get more people engaged into politics and whilst we should be mindful of not "brainwashing" our children about "left" and "right" politics, I believe this would be a great addition to the Education Secretary's idea of introducing basic economic concepts.

Please can the Education Secretary update me on what he thinks about my suggested amendments.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JTran38)
    I have come to a conclusion for this Statement of Intent by the Education Secretary and I will be voting in favour subjected to the following issues:
    1) To solve the controversial issue of "social mobility" I would like the Govt to consider opening new Grammar Schools and target areas where research has shown that those who are from disadvantage backgrounds are struggling to get the results needed to secure them a place for further education or vocational options. I would also like to see higher standards introduced at new and existing state schools and as the opposition, I will continue to put pressure on the Govt to deliver this.

2) I would strongly advise the Govt to consider removing basic economic concepts from the Maths curriculum and consider merging it into the PSHE curriculum because this will allow flexibility for the Govt to include more content into the PSHE curriculum. To make this work, I would suggest making PSHE complusory for all schools and that there should be at least x1 1 hour session a week. In addition to this, I would like to propose about introducing basic political concepts which looks at teaching children the principles of politics by focusing on theories etc. This would help get more people engaged into politics and whilst we should be mindful of not "brainwashing" our children about "left" and "right" politics, I believe this would be a great addition to the Education Secretary's idea of introducing basic economic concepts.

Please can the Education Secretary update me on what he thinks about my suggested amendments.
    mobbsy91
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    In all seriousness, Saracen's Fez can you remove my vote and I'll get out of the MP usergroup immediately.
    Quite frankly, he should've removed you when you were replaced - perhaps some day he'll do things properly.

(Original post by JTran38)
    As that would have the biggest effect, it would be the sensible thing to do. I hardly think that putting 3 new grammar schools all in one place where everyone is incredibly high achieving anyway would do much at all. From having grammar schools, improvements in other state schools should thus come.

I can't be the only one who didn't listen at all in PSHE due to it being a waste of time non-examined subject which really was just a time where no one really listened. It is natural for children to not really care about a topic if it is not being examined, as they see no need to remember/understand it.
    The trouble with political concepts is that at a young age, it is incredibly easy to be manipulated/suggestible and being taught political concepts without some background on politics in general imo would be difficult, but at the same time, would then give teachers too much opportunity to be biased in their teaching, especially if it were in a subject like PSHE where there's not an end goal such as an exam.

(Thanks Petros)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Quite frankly, he should've removed you when you were replaced - perhaps some day he'll do things properly.
    Can you please clarify the situation – I had Lime-man down as being proxied?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Can you please clarify the situation – I had Lime-man down as being proxied?
    Mmmhmm, not as far as I'm aware. In any case, if he's being proxied, he shouldn't be in the UG surely... I will check the QT thread, but kick him out, as he's definitely no longer an MP for us!

ReputationRep:
    Why are you leaving?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    One Aye has been changed to a No.
    I have misclicked also, can you change my vote to a No.

Anyone who has a problem with this can tell me.

ReputationRep:
    Wtf? What's wrong?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Trapping)

Maybe next time double check with QQ for how he's voted before you do what he does...

RayApparently - is QQ the one for whom all Labour MPs then copy if they can't make their mind up for themselves?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe next time double check with QQ for how he's voted before you do what he does...

RayApparently - is QQ the one for whom all Labour MPs then copy if they can't make their mind up for themselves?
    Trapping is a kipper.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Trapping is a kipper.
    In that case. Why the **** did he copy QQ in the first place then!!!!!!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Kippers can do what they'd like. Labour MPs vote with their hearts or with the leadership.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

If only that were the case.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Kippers can do what they'd like. Labour MPs vote with their hearts or with the leadership.
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    If only that were the case.
    There could be a cult Labour following... :dontknow:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There could be a cult Labour following... :dontknow:
    There could indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    I have also miss clicked. Can my vote please be changed to a nay?

Why even lie when we all know you're just mindless droids? Especially the latter who openly admitted it, ffs… :laugh:

Are you being serious? I only chose Abstain because I saw you choose it :argh:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Aye, there is lots I would like to see that this Statement of Intent excludes, however, I support reintroducing grammar schools, I agree with introducing Monetarism to counter dangerous Keynesian economics, and I like voting against Labour.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.