Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

[THREAD] Tips for new Year 12s studying Science + Maths and get As in all subjects watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by amanii_ox)
    Do you have any particular tips when revising for maths edexcel? Any particulAR textbook/revision guide? Any good websites or YouTube channels?

Btw, ThAnks for yr obvious help with everything else

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ExamSolutions.com

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Use examsolutions actually website not his YouTube channel, it's easier to navigate and go through the whole course

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TarotOfMagic)
    The link that you provided to purchase the Oxford textbooks requires a password. Could you please tell me the ISBN for the Oxford physics AS/A level textbook so that I could search it up on Amazon?
    Requires a password?
    I just tried it and not really.
    Type in 'a level sciences oxford' google
    What book? Bio? Chem? Physics?

ReputationRep:
    I found it helpful to have multiple textbooks (I had 3 each for Physics&Chemistry), useful to link information together so you don't miss out anything, as well as having everything reworded into different ways so you should understand at least one. I didn't do the questions from them though, I just stuck to past papers, around 50 per science at a guess but I only started them at the beginning of May.
    Maths was mostly past papers, 2003-2015 for C1,C2,C3&S1. Further Maths we didn't do many past papers so I only done ~15 overall, alongside questions from textbooks (M1,M2&FP1)
    Never let yourself get behind, doing only science/maths is fun if you enjoy it and keep on track but if you miss a lesson or don't understand something be sure to catch up because the next lesson will just be harder. Some people were unsure of concepts even coming up to May/June and they had to spend extra time relearning modules rather than revising.
    -Done Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Chemistry and got 4 A's (revision tips won't work for everyone, but they worked for me)

ReputationRep:
    All you need is to make notes from the spec ( not maths ) using a revision guide ( CGP specific to your board is ideal ), then do every past paper you can find. Start this around Feb and you're almost guaranteed straight As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nwmyname)
    Requires a password?
    I just tried it and not really.
    Type in 'a level sciences oxford' google
    What book? Bio? Chem? Physics?
    ocr physics b and maths ocr mei

ReputationRep:
    what sort of equipment will I need for A Level Maths? Like will I need anything minus a scientific calculator specifically?

ReputationRep:
    What tips do you have for maintaining a positive approach through out the entire course?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by patricia.xo)
    what sort of equipment will I need for A Level Maths? Like will I need anything minus a scientific calculator specifically?
    Depends on the unit. There is some curve sketching involved in C1. C2 hardly anything like that if I recall. In Stats (S1) there is minimal drawing on things like Stem+Leafs or box plots otherwise nothing - maybe something similar with kinematics diagrams in M1 but I haven't done that one yet. D1/D2 you will need some highlighters (will be useful for your other subjects as well) and the same pencil ruler combo as the other units. Most of the time you won't use your handy pencil-ruler combo but it will be necessary in an exam.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tgys44)
    What tips do you have for maintaining a positive approach through out the entire course?
    Think about your end goal (the grades). Keep fixed on that by using past papers to assess where you are up to and how far to go. Also, try and enjoy it - you picked those A Levels hopefully because you enjoy them!

ReputationRep:
    Year 12 A-level Sciences Tips Thread
    By nwmyname

I myself studied all of Biology, Chemistry and Physics at AS.
    Yes it sounds tough, but they weren’t really that different from most subjects.

These were my grades for the new spec 2016 Sciences and Old spec maths Exam:

Biology (OCR) = A
    Chemistry (OCR) = A
    Physics (OCR) = A
    Maths (EdExcel) = A

I have some tips though for any of you Year 12s that study any of these subjects.
    They mainly apply to all of these sciences, but over the coming days, we’ll probably add some of your own to the individual subjects.

1. Don’t waste time learning.
    This is quite a strange one.
    A-levels are a different ball game to GCSEs.
    A-levels require commitment from the start as you cannot swallow all of the information before a mock exam.
    You need to know everything beforehand since a lot of the sciences develop from foundation theories, so without knowing the basics, you can be quite badly done.

2. Get a very good textbook.
    Some textbooks are very bad.
    Pearson’s series are very very very bad, and that is no exaggeration.
    CGP books personally I feel are NOT textbooks.
    They are last minute revision tips.
    Get the A-level Oxford books.

They are the perfect textbooks to simplify everything.

https://global.oup.com/education/content/secondary/series/ocr-a-level-sciences/?view=ProductList&region=uk

These are also available on Amazon by searching the ISBN for the appropriate book.

More will be added if you want. These are the current two points of advice you need to get through Year 12 with 4As like I personally did, after resorting to putting all my effort in at the start of Year 12.

Ask me anything!

If you have your own tips to share, please do so below!
    If you are in Year 13 like me and want to ask how I revise or etc. then please feel free to ask too.
    Pearson Maths textbooks are amazing! Practically self taught C1, C2, S1, M1, M2 using them during year 12 and self taught C3 and C4 using them in the last few weeks.

Questions are quite repetitive but the examples and explanations are more than good enough. Recommend.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys let's get this to the top of TSR!

This is going to help a lot of people.

Let's go!

If you messaged me, I will reply to you in the morning!

Nwmyname.

ReputationRep:
    What is a good textbook for OCR A2 Maths? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julia_aaa)
    ocr physics b and maths ocr mei
    OCR PHYSICS B
    AS Book only is here
    AS + A2 Book is here

OCR MEI has no books from oxford. They are still old spec exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    What is a good textbook for OCR A2 Maths? Thanks.
    Either CGP or the official textbooks from OCR.
    I've never done OCR maths as it looks disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    OCR PHYSICS B
    AS Book only is here
    AS + A2 Book is here

OCR MEI has no books from oxford. They are still old spec exams.

thanks so much i was going to by those books, but i've heard from people on tsr that the book is useless for revision and that it waffles and has mostly the history on the topics as opposed to the 'need to know' information :/ ive read over the CGP one and it looks alright for revision and links up quite well to the specification

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.