Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was the same as you, and I took it as the 5th subject, but if you don't particularly find it interesting, and aren't all that invested in it. DO NOT TAKE IT!
    I did OCR, and it was the most boring thing I had ever done! I ended up dropping it at Christmas. No I didn't particularly find it difficult, but that may just be me - I am naturally good at maths, and generally good in school.

Don't take an A-Level just because you believe you can do well in it. Take it because you enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, physics A2 is the hardest a level. AS was easy but I found A2 incredibly tough. I managed to get A* in Maths, Chemistry and Biology at A level but only an A in Physics. Only choose it if you're interested in it or if it's a requirement for a uni course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    The principles of mathematics A-level was developed the countless hours of work by some very great minds. No 17 year-old will ever independently re-invent calculus, there is no such 'gift'. Success at A-level maths (or physics, for that matter) comes down to having a good learning approach, confidence and persistence in problem solving and hard work.

To say it's gifted has two negative outcomes: it does not give enough reward for hard work, and it convinces those who might otherwise work hard that they shouldn't bother.
    There is such a gift/talent for maths, anyone can just work hard and do good at A LEVEL MATHS, out of a levels people struggle

(Original post by Zacken)
    lol @ maths and further maths being hard. They're so easy that top universities need other tests to differentiate candidates for maths degrees.
    its more about your problem solving skills like the ukmt olympiad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomteenx)
    I'm going to be choosing my a levels soon and im undecided on whether to do physics.

I think I'm pretty good at physics, I'm one of the best in my class and got A* for my year 10 mocks and expected A* for my actual exams. It's just one of those subjects I find easy.

But I also find it a bit boring, the only part I actually really love is when we study space etc. And that's the only thing that keeps me loving physics.

So I don't know if I should take it for a level. I've heard people say it's super easy but others say it's one of the hardest a levels?

I hate maths and although I'm okay at it, I don't know if I'm nearly good enough to do a level.
    If the inly thing you like is space and hate maths then Physics wouldnt be for you. You wouldnt enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    The principles of mathematics A-level was developed the countless hours of work by some very great minds. No 17 year-old will ever independently re-invent calculus, there is no such 'gift'. Success at A-level maths (or physics, for that matter) comes down to having a good learning approach, confidence and persistence in problem solving and hard work.

To say it's gifted has two negative outcomes: it does not give enough reward for hard work, and it convinces those who might otherwise work hard that they shouldn't bother.
    I agree but with 2-3 other subjects as well it can be difficult to be persistent and ace maths. Lots of people just don't get the basic understanding of maths and so stubble with it.
    Some people can work so so hard at maths and still not do so well as someone else who didn't put as much effort but just have an understanding of maths and therefore do better in it. I think their is a skill required with maths as it isn't always down to people not working hard enough as to why they didn't do so well.

ReputationRep:
    I fond it easier than Chemistry &Bio, but harder than maths. However I think the new spec has made it extremely easy so that you need next to no understanding and the questions are extremely watered down. There's too much memory in the a-level sciences now, you rarely need to fully understand the concepts to get good grades.

ReputationRep:
    lol @ maths and further maths being hard. They're so easy that top universities need other tests to differentiate candidates for maths degrees.
    Why is it that everytime you talk about Maths being easy, I feel like you need to just.. chill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    Why is it that everytime you talk about Maths being easy, I feel like you need to just.. chill.
    It's just really annoying to see people being put off Further Maths because others make it out to be a tough elitist subject. It's such a useful subject and people should be encouraging others to take it, not to put it down because it's tough. My school wouldn't even offer it because of it's reputation of being hard, so I'm rather against it. Heck, it's the subject with the highest percentage of A*'s and A's by far.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It's just really annoying to see people being put off Further Maths because others make it out to be a tough elitist subject. It's such a useful subject and people should be encouraging others to take it, not to put it down because it's tough.
    This is true but I don't think that saying "they're so easy" is particularly helpful or sensitive towards the majority of people who don't find it "so easy". And the reason why there are so many As and A*s is because A Level Further Maths targets the stronger maths students, not because it's an easy A Level.

ReputationRep:
    It's all subjective, for some people it's easy and for other people it's very hard, just depends on who you ask. Your school might have a taster day, attend that and see for yourself and even after that a few days/weeks into year 12 if you don't want to do physics you can talk to your head or year to change the subject, but it's better to get an idea before starting the year so that way you don't waste money on stuff that you won't end up using like textbooks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    This is true but I don't think that saying "they're so easy" is particularly helpful or sensitive towards the majority of people who don't find it "so easy".
    Yeah, fair enough. I just feel like it's an apt response to people who go "it's so hard". Tbh, the entire thing about subjects being hard/easy is such a useless and moot topic, everybody has different strengths and it really just comes down to "I find this easy, and that hard.", urgh.

And the reason why there are so many As and A*s is because A Level Further Maths targets the stronger maths students, not because it's an easy A Level.
    True.

ReputationRep:
    It's just really annoying to see people being put off Further Maths because others make it out to be a tough elitist subject. It's such a useful subject and people should be encouraging others to take it, not to put it down because it's tough. My school wouldn't even offer it because of it's reputation of being hard, so I'm rather against it. Heck, it's the subject with the highest percentage of A*'s and A's by far.
    Well, it's even more annoying have to read through your arrogant comments bc that's how they come across, arrogant. I mean, we get it; you're a self-taught-high-achieving-maths-lover, but I don't think a reminder is required in every thread.

+ please, no one was putting it down, rather stating facts. Just bc you, personally, find it to be an absolute breeze, does not mean that it's "so easy".

ReputationRep:
    The responses must be so confusing for the OP

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of Year 12, the particles topic in A Level physics is simply memory, the mechanics should be nice if you do modules M1 and M2 in maths , and electricity became intuitive once I stopped wondering about why the direction of 'conventional charge' is actually the opposite direction to where the electrons are flowing. Diffraction in waves was by far the hardest topic and even today, Young's double slit experiment doesn't fully make sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be choosing my a levels soon and im undecided on whether to do physics.

I think I'm pretty good at physics, I'm one of the best in my class and got A* for my year 10 mocks and expected A* for my actual exams. It's just one of those subjects I find easy.

But I also find it a bit boring, the only part I actually really love is when we study space etc. And that's the only thing that keeps me loving physics.

So I don't know if I should take it for a level. I've heard people say it's super easy but others say it's one of the hardest a levels?

I hate maths and although I'm okay at it, I don't know if I'm nearly good enough to do a level.
    Well, I have just finished my AS in physics and I'm surprised by what I thought about it because I hated physics in GCSEs but love it as an AS level. I found it a lot easier than maths but I'm an anomaly because everyone else in my class finds it harder.

The part that worries me though is that you say you like space stuff and unfortunately you wont be doing a lot if not any, astrophysics ( in AQA) is an optional topic so if your teacher decides to do it with you then you will learn it and even then it ill carry a very small amount of the whole topic. A lot of the physics is formula maths and GCSE trigonometry this being a lot of forces, moments, momentum, and things like that for AQA , so as long as you know what formula to use you are all set and surprisingly a lot of the formula is given to you (about 80%), but it is just knowing how to use it that might be tricky. The maths part to physics is not difficult at all and I am not as strong in maths , so I think it will be a breeze for you.

Hopefully you can do induction lessons and have a feel of what its like, though of course they will give you the easier stuff.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palette)
    Speaking of Year 12, the particles topic in A Level physics is simply memory, the mechanics should be fine if you do modules M1 and M2 in maths, and electricity became intuitive once I stopped wondering about why the direction of 'conventional charge' is actually the opposite direction to where the electrons are flowing. Diffraction in waves was by far the hardest topic and even today, Young's double slit experiment doesn't fully make sense to me.
    lool all the slit and diffraction stuff doesn't really make sense to me

ReputationRep:

If you hate maths, and you're only "okay" at it, You may struggle with A Level physics. It consists of A* GCSE maths content (particulary at A2). Useful to be decent at trig.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by te.lope)
    lool all the slit and diffraction stuff doesn't really make sense to me
    I think I'd enjoy A Level physics with more mathematics; this is an A Level textbook from 1970 which has lots of calculus:

https://archive.org/details/AdvancedLevelPhysics
    It makes the concepts more intuitive and less spoon-fed.

ReputationRep:

Yeah like other posters have mentioned - A2 has some SPACE in it - and I thnk you'll be interested to the extent A level takes it. All about dem stars doe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    Whoever said its super easy is most likely lying and deceiving you.
    The hardest A levels are generally considered to be Maths, Further maths, Chemistry, Physics and History.
    replace history with Biology and you're fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.