Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much did you pay for your first car & car insurance Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    1400 for first car, got 100 off.
    800 insurance

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about getting a seat Ibiza or a Vauxhall corsa 1.2 both around £4,500-£5,000 which would be the best to get ? Checked insurance and I must be doing it wrong be their quoting me £4,000 insurance !!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bradley7)
    Thinking about getting a seat Ibiza or a Vauxhall corsa 1.2 both around £4,500-£5,000 which would be the best to get ? Checked insurance and I must be doing it wrong be their quoting me £4,000 insurance !!!
    Nope, thats probably right dependant on age, location, and driving history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Nope, thats probably right dependant on age, location, and driving history.
    Haha okay got a lot more saving to do then ! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I got my first car at 17, which was a Ford Ka 1.3L which cost £950 and the insurance with a black box for the first year was £2040 but 2nd year (still with the black box) went down to £485 for the year.
    After those 2 years I got a Citoren C4 1.6L turbo diesel for £1100 and insurance on that went up to £700

ReputationRep:
    Passed my test a month ago, had the car 4 days after that.

55 Plate Mazda 3 TS 1.6L - £2400, paid outright because I hate loans, and HP, PCP etc are all cons designed to lure in glassy eyed suckers (Only reason it was that much is because of the very low comparative mileage - 67k on a 10 year old car, and the previous owner had seemingly specced all the options)
    Insurance - £900, paid monthly - had I paid in one go it would've been ~£750 :: CE is only £150 as well.

However, I am 26, so am slightly outside of the young driver criteria.

ReputationRep:
    This is crazy how?
    (Original post by Donkey******)
    Cost me £500 for my first car, and £480 fully comp on insurance.

ReputationRep:
    400 for car and 1300 for insurance. Car was hit and miss and I sold it a year later for 330 having spent 200 on repairs. My second car was a 1994 Lancer, 600 pounds and have had it for 1.5 years now; without a single hiccup - even all the fancy electric gadgets + tape player still work. I think key is to go for mileage, the 1994 car was older then my first, but had ~50k mileage.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.