Is uni fun? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i firmly believe it's possible to work hard, play hard and still get a first.

it's all about time management, think of all the wasted minutes in the student day which are unproductive and not particularly 'fun' (e.g. watching TV, going on the internet :rolleyes:, sleeping in til late, lazing around doing nothing in particular). if you substitute all of that time for societies, sport and going out in the evenings then you're not really taking any time off your study periods.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)

it's all about time management, think of all the wasted minutes in the student day which are unproductive and not particularly 'fun' (e.g. watching TV, going on the internet :rolleyes:, sleeping in til late, lazing around doing nothing in particular). if you substitute all of that time for societies, sport and going out in the evenings then you're not really taking any time off your study periods.
Am I the only one that considers sleeping in and watching TV more fun that societies etc?!? :confused:
Aj_uk
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
[QUOTE=timeofyourlife]i firmly believe it's possible to work hard, play hard and still get a first.[QUOTE]

I hope so. Of course I know its gonna be hard work but there has to be some fun does there not. I mean sitting around doing work 24 hours would really hurt my head lol But Im not a crazy, wild party animal Balance... hehe! Please tell me you sincerely over estimated with the whole spending £60k, thats kinda alot of money for just having a life. Ahhhhhhh :eek:
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
Am I the only one that considers sleeping in and watching TV more fun that societies etc?!? :confused:
I don't find societies much fun either but they are mainly sports or religion based, there is a radio station but I kind of made a fool of myself there.:mad:
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
[QUOTE=Aj_uk][QUOTE=timeofyourlife]i firmly believe it's possible to work hard, play hard and still get a first.

I hope so. Of course I know its gonna be hard work but there has to be some fun does there not. I mean sitting around doing work 24 hours would really hurt my head lol But Im not a crazy, wild party animal Balance... hehe! Please tell me you sincerely over estimated with the whole spending £60k, thats kinda alot of money for just having a life. Ahhhhhhh :eek:
My £60k estimate was based on the fact you're not earning much while you're at university where as you could have a job like a club rep and have fun while earning.

The real terms cost is probably easily £60k. However as somebody said on here hopefully you will earn more to make up for this. It dosn't always work out like that though.

As longs as you do the work and are not lazy then you should be fine. Just aim a 2:1 for the perfect balance. I can't spend all my time studying either it would drive me mad. However I know of some students who do almost no studying.
_Shines_
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
it's all about time management, think of all the wasted minutes in the student day which are unproductive and not particularly 'fun' (e.g. watching TV, going on the internet , sleeping in til late, lazing around doing nothing in particular). if you substitute all of that time for societies, sport and going out in the evenings then you're not really taking any time off your study periods
Exactly- there is plenty of time for everything!
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thenarbisbanned)
Im going to Uni to have fun...I intend to do as little work as possible really. And then in the third year I might start knuckling down to scrape through with a decent degree :eek:
me too
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)
hehe, spoken like a true student
Aj_uk
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Its all in the balance :cool: lol. I don't know if I'll join a society or anything like that. It depends on what they are all about. :rolleyes:
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I don't find societies much fun either but they are mainly sports or religion based, there is a radio station but I kind of made a fool of myself there.:mad:
ok, granted, the politics society may not be quite as much fun as lying in bed subdued in dreams - but you get the idea.
Whats_The_411?
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Aj_uk)
Its all in the balance :cool: lol. I don't know if I'll join a society or anything like that. It depends on what they are all about. :rolleyes:
What do you have to do if you join a society?
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you do a decent degree then you'll get a decent job and good wage, if you do buisness studies i'm afriad a life of serving fries at macdonalds may become you

p.s. i niether did buisness stuides or work in the hell hole thats macdonalds.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Its really the second year you have to knuckle down. You want a good supervisor for your 3rd year project/diseration. If you are getting bad grades in your 2nd and third year then your tutor is not going to bother wasting his time ensuring you get a good supervisor so you will probably end up with a duff PHD student who couldn't care less.

The first year doesn't really matter but its still best not get into bad habbits too early. I am not suggesting that you swot or anything, just put a little bit effort into like you do with you A levels.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Whats_The_411?)
practice your secret handshakes, buy a smoking jacket and learn how to 'pass the port' correctly.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Whats_The_411?)
You join the socitiies at freshers fair. Be warned they are like vultures as they want your money, only join societies that you feel will benefit you.

Blimey I am busy tonight
_Shines_
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
practice your secret handshakes, buy a smoking jacket and learn how to 'pass the port' correctly.
Lol
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Its really the second year you have to knuckle down.
agreed, although you still have to pass your first year! i'm missing uni already, working at tesco doesn't exactly compensate for the full student experience!
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Its all true! i was a society secretary a few years back in my second year, they're blood sucking harpies who want to do wierd things with you!!!!! Although its generally not that expensive to join, pretty damn cheap and you get to meet great people outside of your course really quickly.
Muse
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Vladek)
if you do buisness studies i'm afriad a life of serving fries at macdonalds may become you
(Original post by Vladek)
p.s. i niether did buisness stuides..
a clearly informed view then..
Vladek
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Very informed
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (250)
91.58%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (23)
8.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed