Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Waheey! Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, good luck to you too.

(Original post by computationchive)
    What course(s) do you guys study at the moment?
    I will be starting Maths and Computer Science at Bristol this September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by computationchive)
    What course(s) do you guys study at the moment?
    MSci Computer Science at Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    MSci Computer Science at Swansea

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No industrial placement? I thought you would have aimed to do the BSc at Swansea and the MSc at different uni?

What's the reasoning behind it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    No industrial placement? I thought you would have aimed to do the BSc at Swansea and the MSc at different uni?

Internships exist

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've literally have not programmed since I dropped Computing AS last year, starting EEE at UCL in a couple weeks is there any point in me applying? Or will I have too much to learn in too little time for the interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisidialu)
    I've literally have not programmed since I dropped Computing AS last year, starting EEE at UCL in a couple weeks is there any point in me applying? Or will I have too much to learn in too little time for the interviews.
    You'll struggle in the interviews tbh if you haven't kept up with programming. The main concern is learning all the algorithm and data structures stuff in time for interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

BSc + MSc is more expensive than MSci

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    BSc + MSc is more expensive than MSci
    Aye that's a thought but surely the cost would be worth it if the MSC is at imperial or Oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    Aye that's a thought but surely the cost would be worth it if the MSC is at imperial or Oxbridge
    Don't care at all if I'm honest. A one year masters isn't much of a value add to my life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't care at all if I'm honest. A one year masters isn't much of a value add to my life

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just wondering, why didn't you go for a BSc?

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering, why didn't you go for a BSc?
    More time to do internships more interesting modules later on.

+ you're all forgetting I can easily change to BSc if I want

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    More time to do internships more interesting modules later on.

+ you're all forgetting I can easily change to BSc if I want

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you'll be applying to spring weeks the same year as me? Since I'll be entering my first year in 2017

ReputationRep:
    So you'll be applying to spring weeks the same year as me? Since I'll be entering my first year in 2017
    Nah this year, I'll formally switch to a three year degree if I get and convert a spring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So is this the main Google internship for first year students? When's the deadline? Do Facebook, Amazon etc. run similar programs (or are there any other particularly interesting internships for first year CS students)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    So is this the main Google internship for first year students? When's the deadline? Do Facebook, Amazon etc. run similar programs (or are there any other particularly interesting internships for first year CS students)?
    Yah. No idea, website hasn't updated.

Nah, they don't have anything specifically for first/second years (four year course) - in EMEA at least. FB has FBU which is only for American students and Microsoft has Microsoft Explorer, same spiel.

If you're good however, you can attempt their regular internship programmes - but again, only if you're basically at a high enough level. Plus, Startups always need a helping hand.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yah. No idea, website hasn't updated.

Nah, they don't have anything specifically for first/second years (four year course) - in EMEA at least. FB has FBU which is only for American students and Microsoft has Microsoft Explorer, same spiel.

If you're good however, you can attempt their regular internship programmes - but again, only if you're basically at a high enough level. Plus, Startups always need a helping hand.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! I think I'll apply for this, Google Summer of Code, and smaller companies/startups in the UK and Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Nah this year, I'll formally switch to a three year degree if I get and convert a spring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah nice one. What do you mean by spring week? IB Spring weeks or is there anything similar for tech?

ReputationRep:
    Ah nice one. What do you mean by spring week? IB Spring weeks or is there anything similar for tech?
    IB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And yes, there are tech division spring weeks if you so wish to go down that route.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    I looked at your CV its very good. You mentioned somewhere you got advice from someone at google before you applied. Could you take a look at my CV? I'll PM it you if you wish.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.