Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'm guessing you've already found this: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...?subject_id=14
    and this
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...yment/p!emFjed

- Management Information Officer
    That's ME (with a geology degree though - we thought the geographers were pussies )

ReputationRep:
    ok i realy realy need help plllsssss
    i love geography, especially the environment part, cos i'm so passionate abt it, like i realy wana help protect the environment, and global warming n that kinda stuff realy upsets me.
    but...my parents dont want me to do a geo degree cos wen im older they're worried i wont have enough money to support my family...and i've been lookin on the net recently and the salarys are quite low
    soo wot do i do?? someone please help me! all advice is welcome.
    btw i'm also doing maths (which i find incredibly hard) and economics (which is ok) at A level

xx

ReputationRep:
    Follow your heart Money isn't everything.

ReputationRep:
    I got told that the head buyer at Topshop has a geography degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woox)
    I got told that the head buyer at Topshop has a geography degree!
    Cool!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what the average wage is for a graduate with a good Geography degree?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone provide job descriptions for some of the following as i don't have a clue what they do.

Commercial officer, Market Analyst, Project Coordinator, Account Exectutive, Managment information officer, GIS, Logistics?

Lord some of you wud have a field trip with my chosen degree! Tis loosely based on geography with a load of other stuff thrown in! Trying to find a work placement but i have no idea where :rolleyes:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    Can anyone provide job descriptions for some of the following as i don't have a clue what they do.

Commercial officer, Market Analyst, Project Coordinator, Account Exectutive, Managment information officer, GIS, Logistics?
    Commercial Officer: no idea

Market Analyst: studies quantative and qualitative data around a specific market (business or public services) and analyses to identify trends/patterns and market behaviour to amke predictions and recommendations as to what will happen and what can be done to expand market share/profits

Project Coordinator: manages people, logistics and resources to deliver a specific result by a specific time - eg a project could be something like implimenting a change in software, this would involve researching available software and suppliers, reviewing all of the options and limitations (budget/time/adaptability of the system) and deciding which package to purchase, organising the purchase, installation and rollover from old system to new (including phasing in training for all users and migrating data across from old system to new), often a new system will be trialled/mirror run along side the old system to make sure it can handle everything that it needs to. This can take anything from 6 months to 3-4 years.

Account Executive: varies - generally it involves managing sales accounts, liasing with customers to make sure orders are filled promptly and accurately
    and trying to find new customers/increase sales to current customers.

MI Officer: Like market analyst in many ways but often with more focus on quantative rather than qualitative, also a very heavy focus on picking trends up and presenting them in an accessible format for managers (hence the job title). Tend to focus slightly more on monitoring performance rather than investigating potential new markets/areas for growth.

GIS: Geographic Information Systems - working with databases that contain data that is tied to specific geographic locations http://216.31.193.171/asp/1_map.asp is an example - the data for water quality/air quality/flood plains/waste disposal sites etc etc etc are plotted onto a map. GIS people work on collecting the data, creating the GIS models/maps and presenting/analysing the data to customers/research funders. Often GIS is tied to demographic information and used as a market research/management information tool for studying geographic trends to markets/performance.

Logistics - very similar to project management all about organisation and making sure the right equipment is in the right place alongside the right people at the right time....the armed forces are the biggest/best logistics people but it's also (obviously) important for businesses and government agencies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Commercial Officer: no idea

Market Analyst: studies quantative and qualitative data around a specific market (business or public services) and analyses to identify trends/patterns and market behaviour to amke predictions and recommendations as to what will happen and what can be done to expand market share/profits

Project Coordinator: manages people, logistics and resources to deliver a specific result by a specific time - eg a project could be something like implimenting a change in software, this would involve researching available software and suppliers, reviewing all of the options and limitations (budget/time/adaptability of the system) and deciding which package to purchase, organising the purchase, installation and rollover from old system to new (including phasing in training for all users and migrating data across from old system to new), often a new system will be trialled/mirror run along side the old system to make sure it can handle everything that it needs to. This can take anything from 6 months to 3-4 years.

Account Executive: varies - generally it involves managing sales accounts, liasing with customers to make sure orders are filled promptly and accurately
    and trying to find new customers/increase sales to current customers.

MI Officer: Like market analyst in many ways but often with more focus on quantative rather than qualitative, also a very heavy focus on picking trends up and presenting them in an accessible format for managers (hence the job title). Tend to focus slightly more on monitoring performance rather than investigating potential new markets/areas for growth.

GIS: Geographic Information Systems - working with databases that contain data that is tied to specific geographic locations http://216.31.193.171/asp/1_map.asp is an example - the data for water quality/air quality/flood plains/waste disposal sites etc etc etc are plotted onto a map. GIS people work on collecting the data, creating the GIS models/maps and presenting/analysing the data to customers/research funders. Often GIS is tied to demographic information and used as a market research/management information tool for studying geographic trends to markets/performance.

Logistics - very similar to project management all about organisation and making sure the right equipment is in the right place alongside the right people at the right time....the armed forces are the biggest/best logistics people but it's also (obviously) important for businesses and government agencies.

Thanks, a few sound very intriguing.

Dragging up an old thread here but anyone got any info on emergency planners?!

ReputationRep:
    You could add climatologist, glaciologist, meteorologist, conservationist and oceanographer to the list?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Thought I'd bump this thread back up with the recent questions about jobs etc

ReputationRep:
    So, what's the real lowdown on employment for Geography graduates? I saw that just over half of them go into permanent full-time employment straight after a degree. What about the other half? How easy is it to find out about job vacancies for Geog graduates?

I'm looking quite seriously into starting an undergraduate Geog degree in 2006, but it's the employment thing that's making me a bit reluctant over it. I want to do a degree, then walk out into a job with career prospects, a decent salary and obviously one that uses graduate skills. Is this a completely idealistic idea or can this actually happen to people?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 5, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.