The Student Room Group

Mature student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by philo-jitsu
Examsolutions tutorials for explanations, then just do every single question in the edexcel book. Everyone learns the hard questions at the back of a chapter, which is good but then they trip up over something simple (like arcos questions) because of a lack of familiarity. So yeah do literally every question no matter how simple, you have time to learn all the methods in maths, but its a lack of familiarity that leads to poor performance. I was getting 90+ums in every C4 past paper 3 weeks out from exams, then because I was confident in it I focused my revision elsewhere and only revised again the day before. I bombed C4 which cost me my A, not because I couldn't wrap my head around ideas but because it wasn't fresh In my mind.

Maths is very performance orientated, meaning a bad day in maths can be really bad (66ums for c4 bad :-0 ) . So once you learn them just keep doing papers and textbook questions. Its far easier to maintain than relearn maths. Oh and try not to do all the past papers too soon, you will fly through them and having some fresh ones leftover for exam week is helpful.

Thank you. Yeah Maths is definitely a subject that you just have to practice and familiarise yourself with all sorts of questions and keep reimbursing yourself with all those types of questions. How soon did you manage to cover everything for C3 and C4? I want to set a target date for when I should have these modules covered.
Original post by Philip-flop
Thank you. Yeah Maths is definitely a subject that you just have to practice and familiarise yourself with all sorts of questions and keep reimbursing yourself with all those types of questions. How soon did you manage to cover everything for C3 and C4? I want to set a target date for when I should have these modules covered.

We did 1 chapter per week, but larger chapters like differentiation and integration (core 4) (like 3 weeks/extremely long) But if your only focusing on maths at the moment you could do it faster.
We also did a review test every time we were half way through a chapter, which I think is advisable, as one of the hard things about maths is when you get questions which require multiple method types (in C4 you can use diff equations/integration and binomial expansion in one question), so multiple chapter tests prepare you for this.
Hi -you were in a similar situation to me. I'm 22 and about to start AS in college next week. I'll be studying psychology, biology and maths. I'm a young adult carer and due to that and other personal reasons I've been out of school for 6 years. I'm a bit anxious about starting college after so long but I want to go to Cambridge to study PBS so I need to do well in these A-levels!
Original post by tripplea
Hi -you were in a similar situation to me. I'm 22 and about to start AS in college next week. I'll be studying psychology, biology and maths. I'm a young adult carer and due to that and other personal reasons I've been out of school for 6 years. I'm a bit anxious about starting college after so long but I want to go to Cambridge to study PBS so I need to do well in these A-levels!

Hi, tripplea! I'm 23 years old and have been self-teaching two A-levels (starting A2 this year). Word of advice, A-levels are difficult so do the best you can to keep on top of your work and never give up!! :smile: Can I ask what you were doing before, and have you studied A-levels previously?
Hi Philip-flop! Sorry for the late response. You were right: a levels are difficult. I'm starting to settle into college but finding that there is A LOT of content to learn already. To answer your question, At 16, I left school after achieving 8A*s and 5As at GCSEs. I worked as a private tutor and unpaid carer for mum who had severe mental illness hence my strong interest in psychology. I have not studied Alevels before so am finding the college system very fast paced and lots of self study.
Original post by tripplea
Hi Philip-flop! Sorry for the late response. You were right: a levels are difficult. I'm starting to settle into college but finding that there is A LOT of content to learn already. To answer your question, At 16, I left school after achieving 8A*s and 5As at GCSEs. I worked as a private tutor and unpaid carer for mum who had severe mental illness hence my strong interest in psychology. I have not studied Alevels before so am finding the college system very fast paced and lots of self study.

No worries for the late reply! :smile: Can I just say that I have so much respect for putting your mother first and looking after her!!

Glad you're settling into college now though. Can I ask what exam boards you are with for Maths and Biology?
Original post by Philip-flop
No worries for the late reply! :smile: Can I just say that I have so much respect for putting your mother first and looking after her!!

Glad you're settling into college now though. Can I ask what exam boards you are with for Maths and Biology?

Aww thank you so much! Yeah sure : Maths (EDEXCEL), Biology (OCR) and Psychology (AQA).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending