Why do girls always do better than boys at GCSEs?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Threads been answered but the two key poitns are

1) The distribution of intelligence, women group around the centre whereas men make up the extremes and this kind of distorts the averages.

2) The school system as it is, is more suited to females and their way of learning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    Threads been answered but the two key poitns are

1) The distribution of intelligence, women group around the centre whereas men make up the extremes and this kind of distorts the averages.

2) The school system as it is, is more suited to females and their way of learning.
    This.

/end thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeYou2Night)
    It's because education has been feminised and most teachers are feminazis who hate men.

Plus it's the whole "white male privilege" attitude that has failed many working class white boys, as they're fine as they're "white male", no matter if they have no positive male figure in their life and come from a poor background; as they're white male so they are "privileged" which is a load of tosh.
    "Feminazis" :lol: Oh God I'm creasing :lol::lol:

ReputationRep:
    The answer is that when the feminist campaigned to the government to make the educational system more fair for girls, the changes they imparted went too far and are now disadvantaging boys.

ReputationRep:
    Because most guys dont care as much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeB16)
    "Feminazis" :lol: Oh God I'm creasing :lol::lol:
    It's true though

ReputationRep:
    because guys have a lower attention span and get bored sitting down reading a book for ages.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, in general intelligent girls will want to do well in GCSE exams, so they put their mind to it, and they do. This is true of quite a few intelligent guys as well, but, more frequently than is the case with girls, you sometimes seem to find that particularly smart ones think that the whole thing is a waste of time. And of course particularly unintelligent people will perform badly too, and there are more very unintelligent men than very unintelligent women (there are more very intelligent men than very intelligent women as well, but as I said I've found some very intelligent men to not bother with schoolwork, while I can't think of any very intelligent girls I knew who didn't try and end up doing well).

edit: lol mixing up girls guys women and men all over the place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    because guys have a lower attention span and get bored sitting down reading a book for ages.
    I think this is only true with regards to school. I know plenty of guys who could happily sit and read, but the books they are forced to read for English are things like Pride and Prejudice, Romeo and Juliet and poetry about rainbows. Change that to LOTR, Watchmen and maybe something like Oscar Wilde or Edgar Allen Poe and I reckon that would change.

As for attention span, I know guys who could sit and tinker with a car or bike or something, myself included, for hours.

It's just school really isn't tuned towards boys being engaged atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    Because, they continually have to prove themselves to the morons that say stuff like 'Girls/women should be in the home' etc, so naturally they're going to do better because they put more effort in.
    This is an interesting view. I have actually found myself doing this, and luckily it worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    Lets just generalize a whole gender just because of a select few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woi92)
    Lets just generalize a whole gender just because of a select few.
    Generalisations are somewhat appropriate here, with girls consistently outperforming boys on the whole. It's possible that this is just meaningless chance, but that seems unlikely. One would expect that there is some reason, be it innate or societal pressures/expectations or whatever, for the differences.

ReputationRep:
    education is generally more suited to traditional females

it involves a lot of time spent sitting around, reading, being quiet, concentrating - girls are much more likely to practice these skills at a young age (and be praised for them) whereas boys are more likely to be encouraged to be physical and loud and active which makes concentrating at school harder

culturally we expect girls to be quieter and behave more, while allowing more poor behaviour and challenges from boys as 'boys will be boys' so when they get to school boys will challenge teachers if they don't think they're learning something useful and are more likely to misbehave, distracting them from their studies

boys don't have as many role models within education as teaching is hugely skewed towards women

books and teaching materials are often more female centric

there is generally more of a social norm among girls that they want to achieve and do well at school whereas it's more common for groups of boys to adopt the norm of not caring about education/messing around being praised

girls also do mature slightly earlier than boys, giving them an advantage throughout school

assessment is moving more towards males now with a lot less coursework which suits girls much more as they tend to spend more time on it and therefore get better marks but the oral and practical assessments that statistically boys out perform girls on are still not a huge feature

ReputationRep:
    is there any proof for girls being more centered to middle intelligence with males being more widely spread? just wondering- also in my school, there were more high achieving males than females, nevertheless there did seem to be fewer girls that had low marks in comparison with the bots

ReputationRep:
    because we're chasing skirts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedA)
    is there any proof for girls being more centered to middle intelligence with males being more widely spread? just wondering- also in my school, there were more high achieving males than females, nevertheless there did seem to be fewer girls that had low marks in comparison with the bots
    Unless I am ready your post incorrectly, you are confirming what you questioned yourself.
    Girls and women tend to cluster round the middle whereas boy s and men score hight in both extremes . 're IQ there are more men proportionately classed as highly intelligent
    than women and when you get to genius level the difference is enormous. Unfortunately it's the same at the other end of the scale there are massively more male moronic psychopaths than female. 👹

ReputationRep:
    It's not always the case though. I think it depends on how interested in something the person is. I could do better than a girl in a Greek Mythology test any day. When I was in year 11, I was in a class of 10. I was the only boy, and I smashed them to pieces in a Greek Mythology quiz. Got full marks. 2nd place got 45% correct.

ReputationRep:
    girls are able to attract a hotter husband if they have bare A*

ReputationRep:
    Education favours effeminate teaching methods. Boys learn more hands-on and physically, girls learn more through direct communication. (this is only one factor of many).

ReputationRep:
    Could be maturity

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.