The Student Room Group

Feeling gutted about my gcses :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BioStudentx
It's really an uphill battle from here. Almost every university puts heavy weight on GCSEs - some combine it with UKCAT/BMAT. This puts crippling pressure to do very well in the UKCAT/BMAT (which aren't easy at all).

An option for the OP is to take a gap year after achieving your A levels and apply for medicine then.

For the OP, a lot of these people haven't been through the medicine application process so they fail to realise your disappointment.

I don't know who told you that but they lied.

The most you will see for a requirement on GCSE is a B in English or Maths.

Seriously GCSE has 0 relevance.
The guy with the highest GCSE's in my school failed AS level with DUUU.
So believe me, your results don't matter one bit.
Original post by Roundhead
I don't know who told you that but they lied.

The most you will see for a requirement on GCSE is a B in English or Maths.

Seriously GCSE has 0 relevance.
The guy with the highest GCSE's in my school failed AS level with DUUU.
So believe me, your results don't matter one bit.

I'm starting medical school in September. Minimum requirements are minimum requirements... Most universities weight your GCSEs and UKCAT then decide whether to interview you. It's a very competitive and rigorous process. You're seriously deluded, speak to anyone whose actually been accepted into medicine for the past 1-3 years about whether GCSEs matter. Of course they matter.
I'm starting medical school in September. Minimum requirements are minimum requirements... Most universities weight your GCSEs and UKCAT then decide whether to interview you. It's a very competitive and rigorous process. You're seriously deluded, speak to anyone whose actually been accepted into medicine for the past 1-3 years about whether GCSEs matter. Of course they matter.

As I stated, they will not ask for anything more than a B (A in the top universities) in English/Maths + Science. And It seems to me that the guy who started this thread will be squared away for Uni.

The real effort Is beating your A levels, that is what Universities are actually looking for. You can get a CCCCCC in GCSE but if you nail A levels with AAA the uni won't turn you down.
Original post by 9091student
I got 7As and 2Bs i have no chance of getting into medicine, im devastated

Hey man, don't worry. I only got 1A* at GCSE and I was kinda complaining and felt a bit dissapointed. Im sure in a year you will be happy with your results, medicine is overrated anyway. Your results are great, and you should carry on the momentum so you can get superb grades at AS
you could do something like biomedical sciences which isn't as gcse heavy and competitive. still amazing grades though well done :smile:

Don't be so hard on yourself. Those are amazing grades!!! If you think you can't go on to do medicine now why not in the future? There is a programme called GEM (Graduate Entry to Medicine) you can try that. Google it! If not there are other options for you e.g. Pharmacy, Psychology, Biomedical Science. Lots of people do get transferred to the 5/6 yr A100 Medicine course from the Biomedical course if you work really hard. Check uni of Leicester website they do it.
As I stated, they will not ask for anything more than a B (A in the top universities) in English/Maths + Science. And It seems to me that the guy who started this thread will be squared away for Uni.

The real effort Is beating your A levels, that is what Universities are actually looking for. You can get a CCCCCC in GCSE but if you nail A levels with AAA the uni won't turn you down.

Deluded. I know people who got 4 As at AS level and got turned down because of bad GCSEs/UKCAT. No point arguing with someone whose clearly not applied to medicine.

Welcome to TSR
Deluded. I know people who got 4 As at AS level and got turned down because of bad GCSEs/UKCAT. No point arguing with someone whose clearly not applied to medicine.

And I know people with bad GCSE's who got into uni because of good A levels.

So your point is redundant.

Hahahahahaha ' clearly not applied to medicine' , sorry you don't know it all
bruh you need to chill:s-smilie:
you probably just created this thread to show off your grades that is all I can say
ok thanks...
And I know people with bad GCSE's who got into uni because of good A levels.

So your point is redundant.

I thought we were strictly discussing medicine?
Reply 33
Uhhh. I got 5As 3Bs and 2 Cs and I thought I was set for medicine before I saw this post...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No offence but people like you, with that mentality, frustrate me, I like being nice and positive but COME THE **** ON!!
I got 2Bs and 4Cs so you did miles and miles better than me no A FUDGINg COUNTRY! BETTER THAN ME, but you probably didn't have the same problems that I had to face. You will get into medicine, you will probably get into Oxbridge, if your A-Levels are right, so can you stop being ungrateful. you got 7 FUDGING As OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

Original post by honour
Welcome to TSR

SO TRUE, IT get pathetic and irritating after a while.

Seriously? Those are good grades.... but if you're going to give up at 16 medicine probably isn't the right thing for you anyway...
As someone who has just gone through the process and not being successful in getting Medicine MBBS5 but doing biomed now, I assure you, you have not screwed up. I have come across 1000's of prospective medical students by now and your situation is no where near a lost cause.
Haha I got 7As and 3Bs in my GCSEs last year but I did well in my UKCAT so I'm confident of getting at least 3 interviews and I think I can get AAA this year sooo.... you just have to apply strategically to your strengths.

For the record, I'm applying to Barts(their GCSE requirements are AAABB in sciences, maths, eng lang), Manchester (6As and B in eng lang), Newcastle(Just need a B in eng lang) and probably Glasgow(Just need a B in eng lang I believe)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BunnyMidnight
No offence but people like you, with that mentality, frustrate me, I like being nice and positive but COME THE **** ON!!
I got 2Bs and 4Cs so you did miles and miles better than me no A FUDGINg COUNTRY! BETTER THAN ME, but you probably didn't have the same problems that I had to face. You will get into medicine, you will probably get into Oxbridge, if your A-Levels are right, so can you stop being ungrateful. you got 7 FUDGING As OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler

I got bad GCSE's, (Literally the lowest out of my group of friends) but I scraped into A levels.

And now that I have finished AS, I am moving onto A2... and the guy who got all A* / A's in GCSE has to do BTEC.

Goes to show how irrelevant GCSE's are in the grand scheme of things for preparing you for A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest