The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
elpaw
the rod is also extensible now?

No, just the wires. I'm still stuck :mad: :frown:.
Reply 21
Nylex
No, just the wires. I'm still stuck :mad: :frown:.

Yes, just the wires.
Reply 22
No one actually answered my question!
Reply 23
RobbieC
No one actually answered my question!

There was stuff about extensible strings in Edexcel's M3, but I dunno about the modules after that as I didn't do them.
Reply 24
another question....

are the wires fixed in place to the support and the rod?
Reply 25
elpaw
another question ... are the wires fixed in place to the support and the rod?

Yep.
Reply 26
Nylex
There was stuff about extensible strings in Edexcel's M3, but I dunno about the modules after that as I didn't do them.
Eww, thats sick. Thanks for the warning.. Maybe I shall avoid it like the plague then!
Reply 27
RobbieC
Eww, thats sick. Thanks for the warning.. Maybe I shall avoid it like the plague then!

IIRC, the stuff in the 'Strings & Springs' chapter isn't too difficult. If you're taught it, it should be easier anyway.
Reply 28
Nylex
IIRC, the stuff in the 'Strings & Springs' chapter isn't too difficult. If you're taught it, it should be easier anyway.
Part of the problem. I have elected to teach myself a further maths module or two, as it is not offered at my school in any other form. Then again I am being advised against taking on more maths, but it is finally making sense and becoming less of a chore, more interesting!
Reply 29
RobbieC
Part of the problem. I have elected to teach myself a further maths module or two, as it is not offered at my school in any other form. Then again I am being advised against taking on more maths, but it is finally making sense and becoming less of a chore, more interesting!

I taught myself M3 and didn't do very well. If you can do it though, that's good :smile:.
Depends the textbooks you use and whether you're ok with teaching yourself. Personally, I am.
Reply 31
Just come across this one. It's been a while since I did any physics, but this just looks like a mechanics problem ???

Anyway, I've had some thoughts about it and I offer the following soluition. Not too sure if it's right though!

Looking at Fig1 first of all.

Sum of vertical forces

T1 + T2 + T3 = 4W ------------(1)

Moments about A

2T2L + 4T3L = 4WL
T2 + 2T3 = 2W ----------------(2)

Moments about B

T1L = T2L + 3T3L
T1 = T2 + 3T3 ------------------(3)

Now consider the extension in the vertical wires.

Fig2 shows the extension in the three wires schematically.
There is obviously a linear relationship between the extensions ∂1, ∂2 and ∂3, and ∂2 is just the average of ∂1 and ∂3, i.e.

∂2 = ½(∂1 + ∂3)
∂1 + ∂3 = 2∂2 ------------------(4)

I can't remember the proper notation for elastic extension and stuff, but I'm putting it down as,

extension = (something) * Force

∂ = η*T

applying this to (4),

ηT1 + ηT3 = 2ηT2
T1 + T3 = 2T2 ----------------(5)

using (5) and (3),

T1 + T3 = 2T2
T1 - 3T3 = T2

giving,

4T3 = T2
T2 = 4T3 ---------------------(6)
======

substituting for T2 from (6) into (2),

4T3 + 2T3 = 2W
6T3 = 2W
T3 = (1/3)W ---------------(7)
==========
and
T2 = (4/3)W ---------------(8)
==========

substituting for T2 and T3 from (8) and (7) into (1),

T1 + (4/3)W + (1/3)W = 4W
T1 = (4 - 5/3)W
T1 = 2(1/3)W
==========

Edit: corrected the force from 4Wg to 4W.
Reply 32
Fermat
Just come across this one. It's been a while since I did any physics, but this just looks like a mechanics problem ???

==========

the problem as far as i can see is that it is impossible for the wires to be acting parallel. because they are fixed to both the rod and the support, they will be 2L apart at both ends. and so they will be slightly skewed wrt each other (see image for crude example)
Reply 33
elpaw
the problem as far as i can see is that it is impossible for the wires to be acting parallel. because they are fixed to both the rod and the support, they will be 2L apart at both ends. and so they will be slightly skewed wrt each other (see image for crude example)

Oh yes, but since the extensions will by very small compared to the other dimensions (basic assumption) can't we just simplify matters by saying that the three wires remain vertical and use my Fig3 as a reasonable approximation?
Even in the skewed condition, d2 will still be approximately the average of the other two extensions, and the difference in the ratios of the extensions will be insignificant compared to the ratios of the three tensions.
If the skewed condition is taken as the working state, then evaluation of the vertical (and horizontal) forces wull now mean the the three tension will have to be resolved horizontally and vertically - for minimal effexct on the final results.
However, if the exact answer is required then the natural lengths of the three wires (in terms of L) will be needed to work out a relationship among the three extensions.
Shiny was asked to write out the complete question wilth all the relevant info, but didn't - suggesting all the info was there ??
We usually neglect air resistance unless it is specifically mentioned. Can't we just make the assumptions I've made?
Hey shiny, do you have the answer? - or was this a prob that you made up?
Reply 34
Rep on its way to you Mr Fermat! :biggrin:
Reply 35
Fermat
Oh yes, but since the extensions will by very small compared to the other dimensions (basic assumption) can't we just simplify matters by saying that the three wires remain vertical and use my Fig3 as a reasonable approximation?
Even in the skewed condition, d2 will still be approximately the average of the other two extensions, and the difference in the ratios of the extensions will be insignificant compared to the ratios of the three tensions.
If the skewed condition is taken as the working state, then evaluation of the vertical (and horizontal) forces wull now mean the the three tension will have to be resolved horizontally and vertically - for minimal effexct on the final results.
However, if the exact answer is required then the natural lengths of the three wires (in terms of L) will be needed to work out a relationship among the three extensions.
Shiny was asked to write out the complete question wilth all the relevant info, but didn't - suggesting all the info was there ??
We usually neglect air resistance unless it is specifically mentioned. Can't we just make the assumptions I've made?
Hey shiny, do you have the answer? - or was this a prob that you made up?

Are you really 57 years old?
integral_neo
Are you really 57 years old?

Yes, he is.
Reply 37
Invisible
Yes, he is.

you are bono arent u?

y did u change ur name?
Reply 38
Invisible
Yes, he is.

if he is then he shouldn't be allowed to take part in maths competition in maths thread i think coz its unfair with others.. he is doing maths degree and most of the poeple in maths have only done A2, so if he is to be allowed to take part then age/experience should count in the final mark... i am gonna tel this to mik1a as well
Reply 39
shiny
Rep on its way to you Mr Fermat! :biggrin:

muchos gratias :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending