Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to be less socially awkward? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katarvi)
    I have a question, something I always always struggle with. Say you greet someone and have a good flowing conversation and it draws to a close, how do you go about the whole adding them on FB/getting their number/making future plans thing? I tend to get to the end of a conversation and want to keep in contact and become friends but I never know how to initiate that.
    As silly as it may sound, I usually find them myself because I forget to ask for their FBs, and that is quite a trek But when I do remember, I just go "Oh, btw, what's your Facebook? Because... *insert reason here* " I usually tie it to something we have in common- eg: same course, we're thinking of joining the same society, etc. Especially at the beginning, all people will be eager to find other fellas on their course or with a common interest so they'll be pleased, no matter how outgoing or socially awkward they are. It'll be a "we'll all in this together" type of thing, since it's a lot easier to go to your first seminar, for example, when you already know someone. If there's no common thing to base your reason on, then don't give a reason at all. I can assure you that all people will be doing this during the first few weeks, so it won't be out of place at all. At times, being direct is the best way, just get the thing out of the way. Be quick so the awkwardness doesn't have time to settle in. Don't let there be enough time to go 'Oh my, how should I say it? Should I this, or that?'. Don't give your brain the time to start overanalyzing (And, as it may become apparent, subtlety ain't my forte, but directness gets things done). See it as- oh, damn it, let's get this whole business over with! Removing a tooth is less painful when you're quick

Little piece of advice: I'd suggest asking for FB instead of getting their number (unless it's for a whatsapp group or something). It's less intrusive since it's all public info, you can get their number later on if you still get along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katarvi)
    I have a question, something I always always struggle with. Say you greet someone and have a good flowing conversation and it draws to a close, how do you go about the whole adding them on FB/getting their number/making future plans thing? I tend to get to the end of a conversation and want to keep in contact and become friends but I never know how to initiate that.
    One more thing: try to insert it during the conversation rather than after it's ended, it's more natural like that. Like, talk about topic X, see the end of topic X and person stops talking, ask for their FB, then change the topic (even if it's a mere comment about anything).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.