Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would be your reaction if your son came out as gay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would most definately be fine with it. I would be a little worried because society is disgusting and judgemental and I wouldn't want he/she to get treated differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I'm a strong Christian and even I think some of your post is foolish, no offense. You can't change a biological trait.
    Why is it portrayed as being wrong in the bible if it's a biological trait that can't be changed?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be supportive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Why is it portrayed as being wrong in the bible if it's a biological trait that can't be changed?
    A common misconception. Being homosexual isn't a sin anymore than being heterosexual is. Engaging in homosexual sex is a sin just like fornication, adultery etc

ReputationRep:
    A common misconception. Being homosexual isn't a sin anymore than being heterosexual is. Engaging in homosexual sex is a sin just like fornication, adultery etc
    And eating shellfish xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    And eating shellfish xD
    And wearing mixed fabric clothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    And eating shellfish xD
    And wearing mixed fabric clothing
    That's OT stuff, homosexual sex is still a sin in the NT

ReputationRep:
    Are all the others not sins too? Why is it fair to choose which sin is bigger than the other?

ReputationRep:
    I'll me mixed really, ill support him for sure,
    but the amount of support he gets really counts on how truly gay i think he is, if i knew from the start/very early/knew in advance he was gay, and i hope i know him well enough to pick up on it, then ill support him without a doubt. Could care less what he does with his life, as long as hes not some scummy sack of shite ..
    but if it seems like a ''phase'' or something done for attention, then i would still support him but not anywhere near as much.

eitherway, as long as hes not some scummy shite, i could care less who he loves.

ReputationRep:
    Are all the others not sins too? Why is it fair to choose which sin is bigger than the other?
    No. Why? Because the OT law was divided into three seperate parts, one was the ''civil'' part and pertains to the commandments in the OT relating to crime, property inheritance etc, the second was ''ceremonial'' and only applied to the priestly class and the last was the ''moral'' class which covered sins such as lying, murder, adultery etc. The first two were designed for the Israelites at that time under a theocratic government and were fulfilled when Christ came and died on the cross. However, the moral part of God's law still stands and sexual practices fall under it

ReputationRep:
    I'm a strong Christian and even I think some of your post is foolish, no offense. You can't change a biological trait.
    It is not biological, no child is born gay.

ReputationRep:
    It is? Oh dear; I thought the NT was rather agreeable for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    "I'm still getting grandkids right?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Opinion)
    It is not biological, no child is born gay.
    There is ample scientific evidence to prove that homosexuality has a biological component to it. Not genetic, but biological nonetheless, hormones in the womb. Taking a homosexual child to 'conversion therapy' and trying to make them heterosexual is like trying to make my hair naturally brunette instead of red

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't bat an eyelid. I'd thank him for being able to be honest, but say that it doesn't change him at all in my eyes. Falling in love is the same either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    I'd be deeply disappointed, as if I have children I shall bring them up to live a proper conservative Christian lifestyle based around morals, values, loyalty, dignity, and courage.

As the Bible says, homosexuality is a sin and so my first port of call would be conversion therapy, if that doesn't work then who knows. I wouldn't go as far as disowning them but I'd deeply discourage them from partaking in any homosexual behaviour and would make sure they keep their sexuality to themselves.
    good old religion huh, screw the happiness of your kid, just keep sky man happy

ReputationRep:
    Introduce him to my gay friend so they can do the gay tings

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of you here don't as yet, have children and so you are basing your reaction on how you think you might react, but, in reality, I think the majority of you would feel very differently to what you have posted here.
    I have 7 children and two of them are gay. I have always known this from when both were very young and so did their siblings.
    I love ALL of my children, Regardless of their sexual orientation.

ReputationRep:
    "I don't care." Because I genuinely don't. What people do in private is their business, not mine.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno really, would probably be a bit awkward between us for a few days I guess?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.