The Student Room Group

Retaking Maths on November?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bikiniikilll
I'm going college and as you know above ^ got to retake maths in November. If I'm retaking maths in college, won't they have different exam board and learn something completely different from GCSE maths? I'm so confused on what to revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Almost every school and college in my area uses the same examiner. There is a good chance that they will be the same. If not it doesn't really matter because all of the GCSE maths specifications are practically identical. All you will need to do is lots of past papers from a new examiner to get used to the small difference in the way they word their questions. Revise what you know you need to improve, it will come up regardless of which examiner you face.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by bikiniikilll
I'm going college and as you know above ^ got to retake maths in November. If I'm retaking maths in college, won't they have different exam board and learn something completely different from GCSE maths? I'm so confused on what to revise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well when I first started college they forced everyone to do Fuctional Skills. I asked the teacher If I can finish off GCSE maths but they put me on functional skills. I don't think functional skills carries the weight of a GCSE. I would rather do GCSE's. I'm not sure if they change exam boards.
Reply 22
Original post by gdunne42
Almost every school and college in my area uses the same examiner. There is a good chance that they will be the same. If not it doesn't really matter because all of the GCSE maths specifications are practically identical. All you will need to do is lots of past papers from a new examiner to get used to the small difference in the way they word their questions. Revise what you know you need to improve, it will come up regardless of which examiner you face.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is exactly what I did and I failed maths. AQA Maths grade boundaries was high for a C. I did read some news article and the reason was for this is because there was high amounts of candidates retaking and aiming for a C. I hope November won't be as bad because I'll be pretty screwed if I fail this. I fail maths then my life is literally over. I'll end up walking out my college with my qualifications but wont get employed cause I dont have GCSE maths. ( I'm doing a Vocational Course by the way )
Found out recently I was 4 marks off a Grade C.

Absolutely heart breaking.
Best of retaking it in November. Don't worry about the grade bounderies. Instead work your ass off and aim above a C so that you are guaranteed a pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by OtakuFreak
Found out recently I was 4 marks off a Grade C.

Absolutely heart breaking.

College giving me a free remark since they said I was close. So I might as-well get it remarked. The college I'm going to isn't doing retakes in November but doing the whole new specification. Feels like we're both in the same shoes. I'll be doing a vocational course and I'm just worried about maths :frown:.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest