Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PhD without Master's advice please, IR student Watch

• Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by TrotskyiteRebel)
    Btw, I don't necessarily want to do a PhD in IR even political science, political philosophy, European Studies, comparative politics is good enough for me (if that makes any difference)
    No it doesn't, it's a very competitive area because, by its very nature, it appeals to a very international applicant cohort, not just or even primarily home students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    No it doesn't, it's a very competitive area because, by its very nature, it appeals to a very international applicant cohort, not just or even primarily home students.
    ok, thanks very much. I dont know much about postgrad so my apologies if I asked too many questions

ReputationRep:
    You are not focused and your statement lacks motivation. You don't know why you want to do a PhD and you could not name yr areas of academic interests within IR. this is a red flag for adcomms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    You are not focused and your statement lacks motivation. You don't know why you want to do a PhD and you could not name yr areas of academic interests within IR. this is a red flag for adcomms.
    Which statement? I have two more years left of my undergraduate degree before having to worry about those stuff

ReputationRep:
    why is it highly unlikely? Are you sure?
    It's highly unlikely because, at least in the Arts and Humanities, a Masters degree is usually a prerequisite for doctoral study. Yes, I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euphiletos)
    It's highly unlikely because, at least in the Arts and Humanities, a Masters degree is usually a prerequisite for doctoral study. Yes, I'm sure.
    That sucks man. I'm going to end up paying for an extra year now because I decided to do my degree in Scotland rather than England. Although I found one course on the UCL's website which says they occasionally accept 1st class BA candidates. I think it was European Studies but I'm not sure. All the others needed an MA you're right

ReputationRep:
    That sucks man. I'm going to end up paying for an extra year now because I decided to do my degree in Scotland rather than England. Although I found one course on the UCL's website which says they occasionally accept 1st class BA candidates. I think it was European Studies but I'm not sure. All the others needed an MA you're right
    If you find the idea of doing an MA unpleasant, you will find Ph.D study even less bearable. Perhaps you should consider your options again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euphiletos)
    If you find the idea of doing an MA unpleasant, you will find Ph.D study even less bearable. Perhaps you should consider your options again.
    No **** no I love having an education. To be absolutely honest when I started this course I thought it was intergrated Master's. I am an international student and so I wasnt 100% familiar with the UK's education system. My parents still think I am going to graduate with a Master's degree and I don't want to tell them that's not the case. Because they're paying 15k for tuition alone and won't be too happy to know they paid an extra 15k for the same qualification. That's the whole story. But if I had the choice I'd go do a second undergrad degree in English lit. Maybe applied for graduate entry into the 2nd year. That's the subject I'm passionate about most but I do love politics and also philosophy and history and classics.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused are you on an integrated masters or not?

A 4-year course will be equivalent to a BA in England (they're called masters up in Scotland for some reason)
    A 5-year course should be an integrated masters which is an undergraduate degree with a masters qualification at the end (you do one dissertation but it's like you did a Bachelors and then a masters). I was unaware they did these in humanities (usually they're for STEM subjects) but you may want to check as you say you've taken a 5-year course (or did I misread that?) which is too long to just be a normal undergrad...

The extra year in Scotland, I think, is invaluable for personal growth and depth of learning though I can see how you may not think it's worth 15K. Just want to reassure you that it's not a waste of time or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkyvirus)
    I'm confused are you on an integrated masters or not?

A 4-year course will be equivalent to a BA in England (they're called masters up in Scotland for some reason)
    A 5-year course should be an integrated masters which is an undergraduate degree with a masters qualification at the end (you do one dissertation but it's like you did a Bachelors and then a masters). I was unaware they did these in humanities (usually they're for STEM subjects) but you may want to check as you say you've taken a 5-year course (or did I misread that?) which is too long to just be a normal undergrad...

The extra year in Scotland, I think, is invaluable for personal growth and depth of learning though I can see how you may not think it's worth 15K. Just want to reassure you that it's not a waste of time or anything.
    No I'm just doing the 4year MA which is equivalent to English BA as you say

ReputationRep:
    No I'm just doing the 4year MA which is equivalent to English BA as you say
    Bad luck. I really disagree with how we (Scotland) insist on calling them MA's there's no issue in the sciences because they're still just called BSc's.

In that case, unfortunately you will most likely need to do a masters. However I would contact some universities just to check their opinion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.