The Student Room Group

Do girls do Further Maths ?

Scroll to see replies

My further maths class had 9 people in the second year, 2 of which were girls. They didn't achieve the high grades that the boys got though.
With that said, there were 3 boys who dropped out in light of their AS grades.
My FM class had only 5 of us and were all boys. The year below us has 5 people as well, one of which is a girl. So really, don't expect females to think so much as far as maths goes. :wink:
About 60 people did FM at my college and it was probably 1/4 girls.
Reply 23
Original post by RDKGames
My FM class had only 5 of us and were all boys. The year below us has 5 people as well, one of which is a girl. So really, don't expect females to think so much as far as maths goes. :wink:

you triggered me
Since you want to move this thread to the A-Level maths forum, I'm tagging @Fox Corner to do that for you :smile:
Original post by RDKGames
Since you want to move this thread to the A-Level maths forum, I'm tagging @Fox Corner to do that for you :smile:
Thanksss
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Stats have been given already. In the year above me, only one person, a girl, did Further Maths. In my year, I was the only one to do Further Maths fully, while a girl did Further Maths AS. So in my experience, girls do Further Maths lel.

There wasn't a single girl in my regular Maths class (neither of us doing Further Maths attended as a rule, I went to a few lessons on S2). The girl doing Further Maths was the only girl in my Physics class. So in general my school had pretty stark splits. Well, there were far more girls at AS in both subjects but they all dropped it.

Wow that seems like a lot of women
Warwick Maths is 22% female..

Lol, last year 14.6% of first years in Cambridge were female. sad ****.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 27
I'm doing FM starting this year :tongue:
I do
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
I'm curious about this. When I started AS Further Maths last september there were 8 students in the class. All but 2 of the students were boys. This september 5 students will be continuing A Level Further Maths of which none are girls. Peeps I genuinely have this question in mind : Do (enough) girls do Further Maths? Haven't seen any on TSR!

When i was at 6th form i knew several girls who did further maths.
In my class of 24, 7 were girls
Reply 31
I did!
I went to a girls school, so ofc we were all girls - however, our FM class was larger than the one at the neighbouring boys school.
not many do. there were 3 girls in the maths class i was in and they didn't take it seriously and failed.
Reply 33
I'm curious about this. When I started AS Further Maths last september there were 8 students in the class. All but 2 of the students were boys. This september 5 students will be continuing A Level Further Maths of which none are girls. Peeps I genuinely have this question in mind : Do (enough) girls do Further Maths? Haven't seen any on TSR!

:s-smilie:

3/8 in my class
In my class of 10, 4 are girls and 6 are guys. Only one girl is in the top 5 though. I wish schools encouraged girls to do maths more cus I think they feel like they're not good enough or it's too hard when it's really not :frown:
Further Maths definitely has a high male:female ratio, it was 7:2 in my class and my teacher remarked that it was often worse. This is consistent with all the above posts. Interestingly regular maths had slightly more girls than boys.

Further maths was not the worst subject for an unbalanced gender ratio at my school though. That honour goes jointly to A2 Physics (100% male) and A2 English Language (100% female).
We're a class of about 20 and 6 of us are girls including me, so yes girls do take further maths.
16:0 ratio in our year
Was like 40% girls in my class. Though i think overall there were like 3x as many boys doing FM.

Quick Reply

Latest