Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Stats have been given already. In the year above me, only one person, a girl, did Further Maths. In my year, I was the only one to do Further Maths fully, while a girl did Further Maths AS. So in my experience, girls do Further Maths lel.

There wasn't a single girl in my regular Maths class (neither of us doing Further Maths attended as a rule, I went to a few lessons on S2). The girl doing Further Maths was the only girl in my Physics class. So in general my school had pretty stark splits. Well, there were far more girls at AS in both subjects but they all dropped it.

(Original post by SeanFM)
    It's interesting, at my uni the split for maths is maybe 60:40 M:F so they must exist somewhere doing Further Maths :lol: but in general STEM (with the exception of a few subjects) are male-dominated like that.
    Wow that seems like a lot of women
    Warwick Maths is 22% female..

ReputationRep:
    My further maths class had 9 people in the second year, 2 of which were girls. They didn't achieve the high grades that the boys got though.
    With that said, there were 3 boys who dropped out in light of their AS grades.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    My FM class had only 5 of us and were all boys. The year below us has 5 people as well, one of which is a girl. So really, don't expect females to think so much as far as maths goes.

ReputationRep:
    About 60 people did FM at my college and it was probably 1/4 girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    My FM class had only 5 of us and were all boys. The year below us has 5 people as well, one of which is a girl. So really, don't expect females to think so much as far as maths goes.
    you triggered me
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Since you want to move this thread to the A-Level maths forum, I'm tagging Fox Corner to do that for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Since you want to move this thread to the A-Level maths forum, I'm tagging Fox Corner to do that for you
    Thanksss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Stats have been given already. In the year above me, only one person, a girl, did Further Maths. In my year, I was the only one to do Further Maths fully, while a girl did Further Maths AS. So in my experience, girls do Further Maths lel.

There wasn't a single girl in my regular Maths class (neither of us doing Further Maths attended as a rule, I went to a few lessons on S2). The girl doing Further Maths was the only girl in my Physics class. So in general my school had pretty stark splits. Well, there were far more girls at AS in both subjects but they all dropped it.

Wow that seems like a lot of women
    Warwick Maths is 22% female..
    Lol, last year 14.6% of first years in Cambridge were female. sad ****.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing FM starting this year

ReputationRep:
    I do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    I'm curious about this. When I started AS Further Maths last september there were 8 students in the class. All but 2 of the students were boys. This september 5 students will be continuing A Level Further Maths of which none are girls. Peeps I genuinely have this question in mind : Do (enough) girls do Further Maths? Haven't seen any on TSR!
    When i was at 6th form i knew several girls who did further maths.

ReputationRep:
    In my class of 24, 7 were girls

ReputationRep:
    I did!
    I went to a girls school, so ofc we were all girls - however, our FM class was larger than the one at the neighbouring boys school.

ReputationRep:
    not many do. there were 3 girls in the maths class i was in and they didn't take it seriously and failed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious about this. When I started AS Further Maths last september there were 8 students in the class. All but 2 of the students were boys. This september 5 students will be continuing A Level Further Maths of which none are girls. Peeps I genuinely have this question in mind : Do (enough) girls do Further Maths? Haven't seen any on TSR!

ReputationRep:
    3/8 in my class

ReputationRep:
    In my class of 10, 4 are girls and 6 are guys. Only one girl is in the top 5 though. I wish schools encouraged girls to do maths more cus I think they feel like they're not good enough or it's too hard when it's really not

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths definitely has a high male:female ratio, it was 7:2 in my class and my teacher remarked that it was often worse. This is consistent with all the above posts. Interestingly regular maths had slightly more girls than boys.

Further maths was not the worst subject for an unbalanced gender ratio at my school though. That honour goes jointly to A2 Physics (100% male) and A2 English Language (100% female).

ReputationRep:
    We're a class of about 20 and 6 of us are girls including me, so yes girls do take further maths.

ReputationRep:
    16:0 ratio in our year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.