Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why don't liberals care about the role of Islam and Arabs in enslaving Africans? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    Honestly, for someone who loves to remind us they're doing a degree in International Law you sure don't take well to people who try and tackle your point of view.
    Which of my viewpoints were you trying to tackle? The fact that I thought it was tacky to try and downplay the trans-Atlantic slave trade through deceitful tactics?

I'd even call you immature.
    You sadden me :cry2:

The Arab Slave Trade existed for much longer than the Atlantic Slave Trade, spanning for over fourteen centuries as oppose to the Atlantic Slave Trade which lasted for a little over three centuries. Also, Africans enslaved during the Arab Slave Trade wasn't exclusive to one country; it was existent in Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco as well as Saudi Arabia.
    And like I told you: no one is denying that it was a long, brutal and disgusting slave trade. Just don't try to whitewash history where the trans-Atlantic salve trade is concerned with the "hey, don't talk about us, look at what they did!" tactic while deliberately leaving out crucial information on that slave trade because it's very disrespectful to the victims of it. It's like those who claim that the Holocaust had far less victims than the historically agreed number, what exactly are they trying to prove?

As I said, no one is trying to downplay the Atlantic Slave Trade and your saying so is a conspiracy founded off benign paranoia which you can't support with evidence, but instead proclaim the narrative in order to silence discussion regarding the matter. If we can't have a rational conversation regarding the subject matter without threat of being labelled a racist then therein lies a fundamental issue.

There is a lot of hypocrisy when it comes to leftism.
    I already pointed out how you tried to downplay it, as did a couple of other users here. You can deny it all you want, but the facts are all there and anyone can read your OP to see for themselves. There is nothing "rational" about it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Which of my viewpoints were you trying to tackle? The fact that I thought it was tacky to try and downplay the trans-Atlantic slave trade through deceitful tactics?

You sadden me :cry2:

And like I told you: no one is denying that it was a long, brutal and disgusting slave trade. Just don't try to whitewash history where the trans-Atlantic salve trade is concerned with the "hey, don't talk about us, look at what they did!" tactic while deliberately leaving out crucial information on that slave trade because it's very disrespectful to the victims of it. It's like those who claim that the Holocaust had far less victims than the historically agreed number, what exactly are they trying to prove?

I already pointed out how you tried to downplay it, as did a couple of other users here. You can deny it all you want, but the facts are all there and anyone can read your OP to see for themselves. There is nothing "rational" about it at all.
    Not once did I try and deflect blame or try and mitigate the atrocious mistreatment of blacks during the Atlantic Slave Trade. Perhaps I made accurate parallels between the two, but I agree that doesn't mitigate the Atlantic Slave Trade and both acts were as deplorable as the other.

However, my bring up the Arab Slave Trade does not make me a "racist", "butthurt" or "triggered" - or any other petty term liberals like to use.

ReputationRep:
    Not once did I try and deflect blame or try and mitigate the atrocious mistreatment of blacks during the Atlantic Slave Trade. Perhaps I made accurate parallels between the two, but I agree that doesn't mitigate the Atlantic Slave Trade and both acts were as deplorable as the other.

However, my bring up the Arab Slave Trade does not make me a "racist", "butthurt" or "triggered" - or any other petty term liberals like to use.
    Then what was the point of reducing the numbers to such a large margin and criticising the people who talk about the US slave trade? You could have discussed the Arab slave trade without that, as it makes it look as though you have ulterior motives.

I know for a fact that my ancestors from my dad's side were enslaved by an English family, I have never once tried to make White English people feel guilty about it. Discussing slavery in a historical context does not amount to trying to blaming White people. Many a history book discusses the Arab slave trade, it had nothing to do with making Arabs feel guilty about it either, nor should it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Then what was the point of reducing the numbers to such a large margin and criticising the people who talk about the US slave trade? You could have discussed the Arab slave trade without that, as it makes it look as though you have ulterior motives.

I know for a fact that my ancestors from my dad's side were enslaved by an English family, I have never once tried to make White English people feel guilty about it. Discussing slavery in a historical context does not amount to trying to blaming White people. Many a history book discusses the Arab slave trade, it had nothing to do with making Arabs feel guilty about it either, nor should it.
    The point of my post was to make people aware of the Arab Slave Trade - as there seems to be a lot of referencing to the Atlantic Slave Trade but a complete dismissal to acknowledge the role of Arabs in enslaving black Africans as well. I'm not trying to mitigate the Atlantic Slave Trade, but making parallels allows me to contextualise the scale of the Arab Slave Trade as it gives people a sense of perspective with which they'd be more familiar.

Anyway, my mum is mixed race: white mum and a black dad. My extended family are from the Dominican Republic - and therefore, there's no doubt they were once slaves. My mum's mum was Jewish; and had family who died in concentration camps during the second world war. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but having rational conversation about race or other political subjects always warrants an outburst of hysteria from those on the left.

Question Black Lives Matter? Racist.
    Question gender inequality? Sexist.
    Question positive discrimination? Bigoted.
    Quested mass immigration? Xenophobic.
    Question gay marriage? Homophobic.
    Question transgenderism? Transphobic.

ReputationRep:
    because the effects of racism are not as great from it. and since the UK directly participated in the trans-atlantic trade, it stands to reason we focus on this more.

ReputationRep:
    The point of my post was to make people aware of the Arab Slave Trade - as there seems to be a lot of referencing to the Atlantic Slave Trade but a complete dismissal to acknowledge the role of Arabs in enslaving black Africans as well. I'm not trying to mitigate the Atlantic Slave Trade, but making parallels allows me to contextualise the scale of the Arab Slave Trade as it gives people a sense of perspective with which they'd be more familiar.

Anyway, my mum is mixed race: white mum and a black dad. My extended family are from the Dominican Republic - and therefore, there's no doubt they were once slaves. My mum's mum was Jewish; and had family who died in concentration camps during the second world war. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but having rational conversation about race or other political subjects always warrants an outburst of hysteria from those on the left.

Question Black Lives Matter? Racist.
    Question gender inequality? Sexist.
    Question positive discrimination? Bigoted.
    Quested mass immigration? Xenophobic.
    Question gay marriage? Homophobic.
    Question transgenderism? Transphobic.
    PC goes both ways, I'll tell you that. American Muslims were being told the other day by certain right-wingers that they should delay or cancel their Eid celebrations because of the possibility that may fall on 9/11, or risk being viewed as terrorist sympathisers. So White, straight, male Americans are not the only ones being subject to PC.

You could have made parallels without reducing the numbers of victims of the latter to make the former look much worse or criticise the people who talk about the latter more than the former. It's like asking why Americans are always talking about their founding fathers and not great historical figures in the Arab world. Obviously there is going to be more focus on what is more relevant to them.

So then you could have created a topic about the Arab slave trade. That would be enough to educate people without having a stab at liberals and making false statements about the trans-Atlantic slave trade.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't see why anyone cares about slavery anymore. The time has long passed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evolutionisgay)
    I just don't see why anyone cares about slavery anymore. The time has long passed.
    Modern day slavery and human trafficking are alive and well, even though they are not condoned by any legal system.

Systematic and legal slavery worldwide are an important lesson in history, so that the world can agree that it was a terrible institution that shouldn't be repeated.

ReputationRep:
    Because our education system would rather constantly focus on America and American history, especially with events that fit their wishy washy PC agenda.

Never mind the War of the Fourth Coalition, never mind the Mongolian expansions in China or the Turkish encroachment of Medieval Europe after the fall of Constantinople.

Nope I had to sit through yet another American civil rights assignment throughout GCSE, how exciting.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.