Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I never knew of the 6th form vs college thing with 6th forms being thought of as "better" until I started posting on here more.

In my area there's only one state school with a 6th form (which is tiny) but a really good college (loads of students going to Oxbridge, RG, great grades etc etc) which has something like 1800 students, plus another reasonably good college quite close too so people just naturally go to one of those usually

If my school had a 6th form I don't think I'd want to go, I'm looking forward to a fresh start and new people as I lowkey hate half my year group lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffpuffle)
    I never knew of the 6th form vs college thing with 6th forms being thought of as "better" until I started posting on here more.

In my area there's only one state school with a 6th form (which is tiny) but a really good college (loads of students going to Oxbridge, RG, great grades etc etc) which has something like 1800 students, plus another reasonably good college quite close too so people just naturally go to one of those usually

If my school had a 6th form I don't think I'd want to go, I'm looking forward to a fresh start and new people as I lowkey hate half my year group lol
    yh, that wouldve been one of my issues with going to a sixth form but thankfully i only know one person thats going there and its kinda far from my house

ReputationRep:
    Are sixth form colleges strict?

ReputationRep:
    Sixth form!
    I went to college and it was just awful!
    Couldnt have been much worse tbh.
    I was bullied, the teachers didnt teach us, we spend 99% of the time at home (this may be good but it was irritating not learning anything!), peoples possesions were vandalized, people were sexually assaulted (including me). Sixth Form generally has the more mature harder working type, whereas college gets the rejects and the people who didnt realize what Sixth Form could bring you.

DONT GO TO COLLEGE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Sixth form!
    I went to college and it was just awful!
    Couldnt have been much worse tbh.
    I was bullied, the teachers didnt teach us, we spend 99% of the time at home (this may be good but it was irritating not learning anything!), peoples possesions were vandalized, people were sexually assaulted (including me). Sixth Form generally has the more mature harder working type, whereas college gets the rejects and the people who didnt realize what Sixth Form could bring you.

DONT GO TO COLLEGE!
    Noted...
    where do you live????

(Original post by Rajive)
    Not that strict but alot more rules than colleges who dont really care about if you take loads of days off or skip lessons...
    its basically like high school with more freedom

ReputationRep:
    Not that strict but alot more rules than colleges who dont really care about if you take loads of days off or skip lessons...
    its basically like high school with more freedom[/QUOTE]

For lunch, could you leave the school premises?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.mo)
    Noted...
    where do you live????

its basically like high school with more freedom
    In sixth form colleges, could you leave the school premises for lunch and all that?

ReputationRep:
    In sixth form colleges, could you leave the school premises for lunch and all that?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Depends on which one you go to, each one varies loads. What's true for one isn't true for another

ReputationRep:
    I got a college offer, I turned it down.
    College is where most fresh start people go to, I would go Sixth form mainly to concentrate on studies and girls. #Peace.

I mean college isn't bad, but I jus don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience/from what Ive heard, colleges give students more freedom and responsibility to students over their studies but at least in my area they tend to be not as good academically as 6th forms, with poorer teaching quality and more issues etc. It seems as if colleges are better for btecs/vocational courses though, but this is just what I think. Go to open days for both if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannoning)
    From my experience/from what Ive heard, colleges give students more freedom and responsibility to students over their studies but at least in my area they tend to be not as good academically as 6th forms, with poorer teaching quality and more issues etc. It seems as if colleges are better for btecs/vocational courses though, but this is just what I think. Go to open days for both if I were you.
    I already went to the sixth form and the open day is on friday so ill be going but there is no open day for the college....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.