Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know how anyone can eat meat :-( watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    I lost it when you said you had "saved" animals from death.
    And I'm pretty sure most slaughterhouses make death as fast as possible, like by electric shock to the head for example.
    I obviously meant that I didn't contribute to an animals death personally.

Not all slaughter houses, and their are many different types of animals that are for many "uses". So I'm not just talking about killing for meat, killing for eggs are just as bad. Marking the animals with hot metal rods is bad, inseminating cows is bad.

It's all inhumane, you can't make slaughter houses humane. It's impossible.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Most people realise that there are lot more important issues to address in the world at this current time than how a chicken is killed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    I know. Lions it meat and fish eat other fish etc.

I know it happens but for one, lions don't store their meat in factories for months/ years before they finally slaughter them. They don't make money out of it, and it's for survival and not greed.

Another thing, humans don't need meat to survive.
    But it is the easiest, tastiest source of protein out there.

ReputationRep:
    Also forgot to mention OP, expect to get trolled quite a bit for this with non-serious replies. Just gonna be people whoring for pos rep.

(Original post by cbreef)
    TheonlyMrsHolmes
    And I'm pretty sure most slaughterhouses make death as fast as possible, like by electric shock to the head for example.
    Does that make it ok for you? Animals are being killed for your pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    Most people realise that there are lot more important issues to address in the world at this current time than how a chicken is killed.
    This is what I used to say, but then I realised that is one of the most pretentious excuses out there for meat eaters.

A life is a life.

If you can prevent inhumane behaviour by switching your milk to soy milk then why wouldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    I gave up on eating meat a couple of years ago when I saw a lamb having its head chopped off in front of me. I tried going vegan a while back and I found it fairly hard mainly because it's incredibly hard to find someone local who does good vegan pizzas (majority of vegan cafes are in Central London) and vegan milk is so expensive. I love chocolate soya milk though.

I like making zoodles and courgetti so idk maybe at uni I'll have two vegan days or something and the rest vegetarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0range)
    Also forgot to mention OP, expect to get trolled quite a bit for this with non-serious replies. Just gonna be people whoring for pos rep.

Does that make it ok for you? Animals are being killed for your pleasure.
    Pretty much... I like meat.

ReputationRep:
    I take those videos with a pinch of salt, because although they are undeniably real and do happen somewhere, I also believe they're not the norm. As with most people, I would never buy halal meat out of principle, as shown in the video, were it labelled. (And have also boycotted subway since they began using it, no idea if they ever stopped lol.) But even that slaughterhouse in the video is not a true halal slaughterhouse, I am aware that according to true halal methods an animal should never be slaughtered in sight of another.

That said, though I do eat meat, I don't even particularly like it, it's just a social norm. The smell of greasy meat cooking in particular makes me feel sick. I do like my fish though, not that that industry is any better. Only reason I eat meat is because I still live at home and don't want to be a pain when the family is eating meat. When I move out in a year or two's time I intend on going vegetarian immediately; haven't decided yet if I will eat fish or not. Fish is all I would miss. **** veganism though, I haven't the time or money to make sure everything I buy was never so much as glanced at by an animal.

On another note, I believe the livestock industry will die out within a century, I'm sure we will just be able to grow meat without having it attached to a real animal and nervous system, etc ;D

ReputationRep:
    Okay I didn't listen to it cause I can't listen to the sound right now but that most likely isn't in the UK as its illegal for any animal to be killed in front of another animal and most animals are stunned out of the sight of the other animals. The way the vessels in a sheep are means that slitting the animals throat is the most effective way of killing the animal and for the most part they are dead instantly. Having seen many animals been PTS I can tell you that often animals will still move after death just due to the nervous system shutting down, so don't let that put you off, anything that dies evn naturally can twitch after death.

Animals in this country are raised in some of the best conditions in the world and for the most part sheep have an amazing life just chilling in fields all day.They will have their diet specially set out for them, perfect grass, worming, vaccines etc. If people didn't eat animals then we wouldn't keep them. People would have no use for cows, sheep, chickens etc and they would become endangered/extinct like all the other animals that we have no use for or take up land that we need for crops.

I justify eating meat through having free range or locally sourced meat. I know that these animals have had good lives and having in some cases even helped raise these animals on placement I know that they couldn't have had better lives. If you buy UK meat (which has a red tractor) for the most part you can guarantee the animals have optimum welfare.

Though i do admit that some things in the industry do need improving, but this will happen over time, especially when you compare the farming industry now to what it was 20-30 years ago. Also you have to admit that agriculture in general harms wildlife and other animals whether its from crop growth or for meat. No industry is perfect and improvement is needed overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    In terms of milk, I read that cows, goats etc. WANT to be milked it gives them pleasure.
    Cows only produce milk when they're pregnant. Can you see where I'm going with this? A non-pregnant cow is pretty useless for the fat cats that wanna make money.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is what I used to say, but then I realised that is one of the most pretentious excuses out there for meat eaters.

A life is a life.

If you can prevent inhumane behaviour by switching your milk to soy milk then why wouldn't you?
    I'm sorry, but a the life of a chicken, cow, goat, bull, lamb, etc. Is NOT equal to that of a human, under any circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you'd be fine drinking organic milk produced on a farm, cows don't get harmed, it needs to be done otherwise their udders get swollen. At the end of the day they're just animals, and I don't really care when I eat meat.

ReputationRep:
    why can't you have tea or coffee?

ReputationRep:

A life is a life.

Cost, taste, availability.... these are the ones that immediately come to my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I gave up on eating meat a couple of years ago when I saw a lamb having its head chopped off in front of me. I tried going vegan a while back and I found it fairly hard mainly because it's incredibly hard to find someone local who does good vegan pizzas (majority of vegan cafes are in Central London) and vegan milk is so expensive. I love chocolate soya milk though.

I like making zoodles and courgetti so idk maybe at uni I'll have two vegan days or something and the rest vegetarian.
    Dairy is the hardest because it feels like it is in everything.

But meh, I will literally stop drinking tea or eating cereal if I can't find a good vegan alternative. It's honestly just so not worth it. It's so, so, so not worth it and I can't believe it took me this long to realise it.

ReputationRep:
    I eat meat because it's something that I have grown to do. It's been part of me since I was young so I am used to it.

I am actually going vegetarian soon and I am trying now to eat meat a lot less and in a few weeks time I won't eat any at all.
    I am not sure about veganism tbh. It's not something I would do right now but perhaps in the future I will.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, but a the life of a chicken, cow, goat, bull, lamb, etc. Is NOT equal to that of a human, under any circumstances.
    No that isn't the life of a chicken, cow, goat, bull or lamb. Even if it isn't equal, it doesn't give you the right to kill.

But that is what humans have decided, that animals are "not equal" and therefore take advantage of their lives. But humans have said that in history of many thing, as someone with a lot of pigment in my skin, I wasn't equal to other humans once either. But eih, look at me now?

ReputationRep:
    So? It's not like not eating meat takes up such an amount of time and resources that there's little room for thinking about other things...
    And what more important issues? If you're talking about the environment, our diet ties in heavily with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist, who vapes and crossfits 4 times a week. And I'm also a male feminist as I identify myself as a pastafarian Apache helicopter dog mega multi combo god of hyper death and if you dont agree with me, then you're an ignorant arrogant globaphobic sexist lesbian.
    That is great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I eat meat because it's something that I have grown to do. It's been part of me since I was young so I am used to it.

I am actually going vegetarian soon and I am trying now to eat meat a lot less and in a few weeks time I won't eat any at all.
    I am not sure about veganism tbh. It's not something I would do right now but perhaps in the future I will.
    I'm glad your going vegetarian.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.