Offering Sixth form advice for anyone entering Year 12 this September.

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlphaParticle)
    Don't work through your whole week.So work for like 5-6 days a week. Leave an Evening in the weekdays and either Sat/Sun to go out of just chill at home. Obviously it will change when exam season starts.
    How early did you start revising, and how early do you recommend revising, september?

ReputationRep:
    what was your timetable like how many lessons did you have a day and did you use to the in 5 days a week like school

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the exact same a levels as you,is it worth revising now,and if so what are some good resources I could use?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I want to do bio, Chem, sociaology and media studies for Alevels. What are your opinions on these choices. Also, how did you manage your revision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chiara27)
    Did you have a job in sixth form or know anyone who did? If yes how did they cope with it , did it effect their grades ect? Im looking to get a weekend job but worried about coping with Bio, Chem , Econ and Phych
    A part time job is fine if you can manage your time. If your like me and do most of your homework and etc in the weekends then don't do it. If you do them after school or in your frees then thats fine. The last thing you want is to feel like your unable to balance them. So do try a weekend job but if you feel like your tired after shifts and can't do any work or don't have time, then just quit. Most of my friends did not have a part time job but one person did he did not do good but tbh other factors (Laziness etc) did contribute. You can maybe get a summer job or christmas job instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vb994)
    How early did you start revising, and how early do you recommend revising, september?
    Started properly at like april i think. I recommend light revision from september

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrabUppal)
    I'm doing the exact same a levels as you,is it worth revising now,and if so what are some good resources I could use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's hard with the new a-levels so your textbooks are really your only reliable resource,old resources are still relevant but always confirm with the spec or textbook. But a few Shoutouts- Maths-if your doing MEI OCR then I recommend Jack Brown youtube channel. Chemistry- any exam board- Chemrevise (life saver but haven't used it yet, don't know why). Psychology- SimplyPsychology and Loopa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samtheman12378)
    Hey, I want to do bio, Chem, sociaology and media studies for Alevels. What are your opinions on these choices. Also, how did you manage your revision?
    They're good but a bit mismatched. If it coordinates with you degree choice and you enjoy it then GO AHEAD and ENJOY!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I currently go to a state school. But I've gotten the chance to go to a grammar one for sixth form but I just don't know which one to pick!! At my current school I get to do 3 alevels and one As whereas at the grammar school I do 3 alevels. I want to do bio Chem and rs at the grammar and bio chem media and sociology at my current! ( have to pick different options due to them not fitting in the option blocks) The pros of me going to my current school is:Pros of The state school are its near my house, know the teachers so if I get stuck then I'll have a bit of banter work my magic and get the answers, comfortable and I don't know At the grammar school i might be the dumbest. Now the pros of the grammar are its a grammar school, different place, new people and could I don't know yet but may have a better science department the my current school does. Thank you pls reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrabUppal)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Oloo)
    what was your timetable like how many lessons did you have a day and did you use to the in 5 days a week like school
    (Original post by Vb994)
    Hi, I currently go to a state school. But I've gotten the chance to go to a grammar one for sixth form but I just don't know which one to pick!! At my current school I get to do 3 alevels and one As whereas at the grammar school I do 3 alevels. I want to do bio Chem and rs at the grammar and bio chem media and sociology at my current! ( have to pick different options due to them not fitting in the option blocks) The pros of me going to my current school is:Pros of The state school are its near my house, know the teachers so if I get stuck then I'll have a bit of banter work my magic and get the answers, comfortable and I don't know At the grammar school i might be the dumbest. Now the pros of the grammar are its a grammar school, different place, new people and could I don't know yet but may have a better science department the my current school does. Thank you pls reply
    OP, as someone in your year, I'd be interested in how you allocated your time in the 3 months or so leading up to exams?

ReputationRep:
    What is the first day at Sixth Form like??
    How did you manage your social life??

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any advice for A level History,Geography,Gov&Politics, EnglishLangLit

ReputationRep:
    When did you finish the contents of your subjects and when did official revision for your exams begin?
    Also when did you start doing past papers, before or after you finish learning your AS?
    Do you think it's better to do past papers by topic or as one?
    What's the best thing to do during the first couple of months, people often regret not doing much?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.