Follow me on my gap year adventure (aka why does my title suck)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    M.A.T. 2009

Pretty pleased with this one, I felt a bit up a step up in the multiple choice compared to 2008 paper though

Score: 91/100

Q1: 40/40, some quite tricky ones here. F was clever but it was a lot of working for 4 marks I thought, H was also nice.

Q2: 12/15, I keep getting around 12 in all these longer questions, always with the later parts screwing me over. Here I couldnt explain how I got the formula because I used some stupid method so I deducted 3.

Q3: 10/15, part iv) I done another weird thing to get "A < 3/4" but it was so weak of a proof I just deducted 3. Next part I got the working for b>1/8 and b>1/12 but just spaced out and wrote 1/12 down lol, silly 2 marks to lose

Q5: 14/15, this was super good, my answer almost perfectly matched the mark scheme, even for the final part. Deducted a mark because I felt I was lenient in question 3 not to lose all 4 marks for iv) so I was harsh on my final answer here.

Q6: 15/15, third year in a row they have asked the exact same type of question. Adapted my method to the method used in the mark scheme in the 2007 and 2008 papers and got this correct with zero problems

ReputationRep:
    Great mark imo.
    Some people states that MAT higher than 80 with good performance in interview can be made a offer by Oxford

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

As in for gap year students, or in general? I realise the expectations they have of gap year students is probably much higher. If the website says 70 is the average for successful applicants then I'm guessing I should be getting 80+ to stand any sort of chance

Also ty, so long as I don't fall below 80 I'll be happy enough. I'll try hard for that 90+ though

ReputationRep:
    In general. Btw , I dont think oxford set up a higher bar for mature or gap-year student[but oxford does set up a higher bar for transfer students ]

I see a math&cs oxford prof says in TSR that oxford counts 1 A* in GCSE for 1 mark in MAT

ReputationRep:
    Did you hear back from those jobs you applied for?

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a gap year to save up money,make the right choice for uni and discover more about my self.I applied to three apprenticeships and one has been successful and two is still pending ,I plan also to read more books to deal with my interests such as demograpghy,sexuality,the postmodern world as I am doing sociology for my degree next year.I also want to volunteer and possibly do a gap year program hopefully it won't be too expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by san Lai)
    In general. Btw , I dont think oxford set up a higher bar for mature or gap-year student[but oxford does set up a higher bar for transfer students ]

I see a math&cs oxford prof says in TSR that oxford counts 1 A* in GCSE for 1 mark in MAT
    ah i see, thats a nice target then. I'll try keep my scores in the high 80s, but who knows how ill find the more recent papers :afraid:

oh damn that would be amazing if that was the case, I think I could make up for my GCSES with the MAT then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Did you hear back from those jobs you applied for?
    i had an interview last tuesday for one but still havent heard back (oh dear)

Most of the applications deadlines were early last week so ill give it to the end of this week before applying to another batch of jobs.

Hope to find one soon as I'd like to save up some money for university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ne1Aaron)
    I'm taking a gap year to save up money,make the right choice for uni and discover more about my self.I applied to three apprenticeships and one has been successful and two is still pending ,I plan also to read more books to deal with my interests such as demograpghy,sexuality,the postmodern world as I am doing sociology for my degree next year.I also want to volunteer and possibly do a gap year program hopefully it won't be too expensive.
    wow nice one, you seem to have a better planned out year than I have :laugh: what are the apprenticeships about? what unis are you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    Hey everyone, so I have never done anything like this before so please excuse my poor extended writing skills, I haven't wrote an essay in over two years :laugh:. I'll start with some background information, here goes;

GCSEs

We will start here i guess as primary school and junior school was pretty insignificant, so during my GCSE years I would say that I didn't respect other subjects nearly as much as Maths and science, as they were what I wanted to do at alevel and probably at university so why should I care about humanities, immature mindset, and I paid for it with some mediocre results;

3 A*s - Maths, Additional Maths, Double award science (1)
    4 As - DA Science (2), Economics, Spanish, R.E.
    3 Bs - English, Technology, History

AS Level

Okay so I started AS in September doing Maths, Physics, Economics and Computing however I was hesitant on Economics because of the extended writing/essays which I hated oh so much. I talked to the Head Of Department in Maths about doing Further Maths A2 however the school didnt offer it and I was advised against it, so I continued with these 4 subjects until around Halloween, I was staying in for UKMT maths challenge practice when I asked a maths teacher about complex numbers, she responded by handing me a FP1 book, I spent halloween holidays learning about complex numbers and parabolas and it was terrific. So that's when I went to the principal and asked to drop Economics as I intended to Self teach* Further Maths. This went ahead and I finished AS with AAAA in maths, further maths, physics and computing

*self teach meaning I taught myself the content, I still had some occasional FM class when i was free and the referred to above maths teacher was free, she went over things I wasn't sure about etc

A2 Level

Okay this year started with another important decision, physics or computer science? I enjoyed the computing class much more and programming was lots of fun but I would have to repeat a theory paper as I didnt do so well. Physics was a much higher UMS mark however it was kind of boring, after some talk with my parents I decided to do physics as further maths was my fun subject and I should do the subject ill have an easier time getting an A or better in. So I studied Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Around January time I decided I would sit STEP 1 and 2 for the challenge in June and had a lot of fun practicing for that. Not much else happened during my A2s, everything was rather normal. Finished A2s with A*A*A in Maths, FM and Physics and a 1,3 in STEP 1 and 2, not too bad.

(module results are here under the About Me tab if you are curious; http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=1663781 )

UCAS and applying to University

This time last year I applied to university for straight Maths, it was decent and I got 3 offers, Bristol, Bath and Queens Belfast. Rejected from Oxford and St.Andrews. I went to visit Bristol/Bath and thought they were honestly lovely places, the city of Bristol looked great and the Bath campus was amazing (the lakeside grass seems like such a peaceful place to sit on warm days). I decided to firm Bath and I was 90% sure I would go (i had the odd thought of a gap year).

This Summer - what happened

So my summer started very slow, only really seen friends twice a week and although i played games online with them I spent a lot of time on my own, so to keep me occupied I started following tutorials online to make my own game in java, something I loved doing so much during AS computing. There's something about sitting at 3am trying to code a rubbish 2d game that you would never look near if it wasnt yours that made me question whether I should give coding and computer science (/computing) another thought. I spent a lot of nights and lost a lot of sleep thinking about it but eventually decided that I wanted to study Mathematics with Computer Science since coding was so enjoyable for me and I spend lots of time on my computer and am quite interested in how they work.

This then made me think a lot more about talking a gap year as my plans about the future were being shaken up (I originally planned to PhD in Maths and do nothing but maths, maths and more maths forever) so I could take it all in. So here we are!

My Plans and why make a blog?

I hope to get a job soon in order to save up some money for University.

I am also doing Add. Further Maths and I'm going keep coding and reading book to get more in depth with that, especially Java.

For about a year now i have wanted to learn piano but just never started. I dont own a piano (slight problem) so I'll be digging my brother's old keyboard out from the attic and learning to play it, using online tutorials etc.

MAT will be taken and STEP preparation will be done to keep me sharp, dont know if I'll bother sitting STEP again though. Also might look at BMO stuff if I ever find myself wanting some new maths to do

Finally my brother is starting AS FM (self taught) so I'll be helping him if he needs it.

I decided a blog would be useful as it will keep me motivated and working hard if I physically have to type and read about how much work I've done in a day. Also depending on my job I manage I will get quite lonely with my friends having left for university, I guess this will be somewhere to express my thoughts and finally hopefully it will help others decide whether they want to gap year if they can read my real time views and opinions on it, plus ill be help to answer any of your questions as the year goes on!

You stayed?

You read it all :eek: thank you for reading hopefully you find this blog useful and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
    don't get too into the piano playing... you might want to change to a music course :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    don't get too into the piano playing... you might want to change to a music course :teehee:
    Here is the real university decision; maths with music or computing with music

I had to link them as I couldnt believe this course was actually a thing, especially the computing with music one :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    wow nice one, you seem to have a better planned out year than I have :laugh: what are the apprenticeships about? what unis are you thinking of?
    The apprenticeships are education related so teaching and the unis i'm thinking of going is Kent,Coventry,or Portsmouth or City university

ReputationRep:
    M.A.T. 2010

This paper felt bad, I wasnt 100% sure on my answers and a lot of my workings seemed "flimsy" but turns out most of them were actually correct which was nice. Also in my opinion the least enjoyable so far. The later questions were just plain boring

Score: 87/100

Going to spoiler these from now on so I can talk about my answers etc a little more
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Q1: 40/40. G was awful, I just sat and searched for the combinations but had no idea whether I had them all or not. Just decided to give my answer move on and turns out I had found them all yay

Q2: 9/15, good except for the start. part i) I couldnt do so lost 4. part iii) I spaced out and wrote my coordinates based around reflections in x=0, y=0 and y=x rather than reflections in x=0.5, y=0.5 etc so deducted 2 marks here.

Q3: 14/15, part i) took me a surprisingly long time, I couldnt work out how to find the area of the big right angled triangle. It also felt like a weak proof to just use pieces of the inequality as I went along and then piece it back together at the end but oh well. Deducted a mark in this question because I didn't actually draw the line in iii) (as I just answer on file paper) so just a small cover in case I done something wrong.

Q5: 14/15, very boring question but nothing too hard at all. In part iii) I got as far as 1d/0m/2345 but wrote 16/05/2345 instead of 17/06/2345 for some reason, so lost 1 mark here

Q6: 10/15, another boring question. I also completely messed up ii)a) so lost 4 there. Lost a mark in ii)b) as my explanation wasnt just as clear as the mark schemes.

ReputationRep:
    19/9/2016 - 26/9/2016

Guess I can do another update.

This week I headed to Queen's in Belfast for their freshers week as most of my friends are going there for uni. It was super fun and it was a bummer to come home to Decision 1 work but oh well. :laugh:

Finished the D1 textbook yesterday. Linear programming was actually fun so I got 40 pages done in one day pretty much.

Java game is coming along nicely also. I was able to add some small features completely by myself which felt great such as closing the window when I press escape rather than having to press the x in the corner. Easy to do for some of you, but it felt good none the less

Still nothing back from any jobs I applied to but I had an interview last Tuesday so I got some interview experience if nothing else

Starting learning Passenger Seat by DCFC on the keyboard, tried to read some sheet music for it and although I can eventually work it out it just takes forever haha.

Plan for this friday (the end of September) is to finish up most of the java game and start working through a book on Java. Do another MAT. Brush up on my D1 and get a past paper completed, marked and gone over. Also do more piano although I wont set deadlines for learning songs etc as I want it to be relaxed and enjoyable and not seen as a chore.

ReputationRep:
    D1 June 2009

The D1 past papers are actually not too bad, maybe its because everything is drawn for you :dontknow:.

Score: 75/75.

Super pleased although I was struggling through question 8a, so I need to revise early and late event times. Other than that though it wasa great paper

Also another small update, my physics remark came back and I went down 2 UMS, no A* for me

ReputationRep:
    so just found out today is Friday, I thought it was thursday... I guess i'll do a MAT tomorrow still.

October tomorrow already, September went by really quick

ReputationRep:
    End Of September update

So I got everything I wanted to get done this month done except I got one less MAT worked through than I would have liked and I didnt manage to find a job .
    However my broadband connection stopped working for all of yesterday evening & night so I worked through some of the S4 textbook (for hours out of boredom) and Im now at page 60 in it.
    The content in S4 so far could honestly have been put onto the end of the S3 textbook as im not noticing much of a difficulty difference between them, its been mostly straightforward which is good.

My plan for October is to finish S4 and maybe start D2/M3, do a lot of MAT preparation, do lots more Java work, find a job and keep practicing keyboard.

Plan for this weekend is to finish S4 and do some java & keyboard, then do my next MAT on monday

ReputationRep:
    M.A.T. 2011

My best score to date I believe (although I semi-guessed a multiple choice). Paper was pretty nice other than Q3 which for some reason I just couldnt get my head around, oh well.

Score: 93/100
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Q1: 40/40 , E) took me a while and I) was semi guessed, the solution for i) was really nice clever so I got 4 marks and learnt a nice technique for solving similar questions.
    Q2: 15/15: part i) took me a huge amount of time somehow I tried  \displaystyle \frac{x^3 \times x^3}{x} ,  \displaystyle \frac{x^4 \times x^4}{x^3} and other combos but couldnt get it, then it clicked and I felt v silly :laugh:. The rest was straightforward enough
    Q3: 9/15: part iii) just beat me, no way I would have got that. v) was a silly mistake by me, I got a=-1 but didnt find values for b and c, so I had a huge algebraic mess starting which I just give up on. Give myself 2/5 here
    Q5: 14/15. Straightforward question, lost 1 mark in ii) as my answer wasn't quite what they had but it was close enough
    Q6: 15/15 good old truth or lie again.Everything was fine here, I think i've gotten quite good at answering these ones

ReputationRep:
    What D1 text book are you using please? My son has to resit this module and I'm looking for extra books to help. Many thanks and I'll check back on your year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumofson)
    What D1 text book are you using please? My son has to resit this module and I'm looking for extra books to help. Many thanks and I'll check back on your year.
    I only used this one , I didnt have any extra books or anything.

Here is a solution bank, I didn't use it for D1 however it was very helpful for some of the other modules so im assuming its good for D1 also. It shows workings to answers in a bit more detail to the back of the textbook. He may find that helpful; http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...-solutionbank/

Also if hes really stuck he should post questions in the maths forum on here, some people have done D1 and would be very willing to help him out.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.