Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is £26000 a good salary for an 18 year old? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's a very good amount for an 18-year old. I would say that it's enough to live on if you share a flat in some of the less affluent areas of London (if you live in London) that is furnished and has utilities and council tax included. I think it'd be difficult to live on that salary if you wanted to live by yourself. Most people commute into London from the Home Counties; it's generally cheaper even with the price of a season ticket. If you work outside of London then even better.

If you wanted to buy property or you wanted to buy a decent car it may be harder, however. If you live with your parents then you could probably do whatever you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CloakedSpartan)
    I'm not an adult so I'm obviously not entirely experienced but I'd say it's a fairly good salary anywhere tbh for an 18 year old.

As for whether it's liveable - even in London, it should be, though you may be in a very small studio flat or need flatmates. Outside of London, definitely. £26000 in the UK gets you quite far compared to say $26000 in the USA
    Woah, you mean £26k and $26k aren't the same amount?! it's almost like they're different amounts of money or something!

Shocking

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure no one is thinking about renting on their own on £27k

you'd ideally want atleast 3 house mates and pay no more than £200 a week on rent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rimstone)
    it really isnt ...
    outside london its great, in london expect to live with your mum for the next few years .
    I know people making £30k+ still living with their parent, since its not enough to be independent in london.
    As long as you house share in Zone 2/3 and don't bomb £200 a week on going out then £30k is more than workable

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.