Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homere)
    what can i replace Economics with?
    Common third subjects are Physics, Chemistry or Computer Science. A list of subjects available and your personal interests would help us to recommend subjects.

(Original post by Rkai01)
    Also everyone who does further automatically gets atleast an A at normal math without revision cause further makes normal look so easy.
    You say that but a guy in my class got a C in Maths and an E in Further. However I would generally agree that doing Further makes regular Maths easier as you have twice as much practice as others.

ReputationRep:
    Math modules are:
    Core 1
    Core 2
    Probability and statistics 1
    second year:
    core 3
    core 4
    probability and statistics 2 or mechanics 2
    my other subject was meant to be Economics but you advised not to do it so i dont know maybe Chemistry.
    Did you do better in Chemistry than Physics at GCSE? For A2 i'm going to be doing Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do a maths degree I definitely recommend taking further maths, particularly with maths and further it's kind of an input=output so just work hard and you'll be fine. I took both physics and economics at AS but planning to drop economics at A2. Taking physics or chemistry as a 3rd option is an advantage when planning for maths but if you know you won't enjoy it there's no reason to take it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NamelessPersona)
    Common third subjects are Physics, Chemistry or Computer Science. A list of subjects available and your personal interests would help us to recommend subjects.

You say that but a guy in my class got a C in Maths and an E in Further. However I would generally agree that doing Further makes regular Maths easier as you have twice as much practice as others.
    Yeah a similar thing happened to a guy in my class who got an A in maths and a C in further

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Flick through a list of subjects available at your college and decide what interests you most. Maybe Computer Science might be something that interests you? But yes, Maths, FM and Physics is a pretty common combination.

Go for further maths if you want. I scraped an A* (90.0%) at GCSE maths but coped pretty well with self teaching AS/A2 FM in Year 13. GCSE performances are something of an indicator but you can honestly step it up at AS and go on to do well, or equally have done realy well at GCSE and then struggled at AS. It's not so much what grade you get at GCSE as how hard you work at AS that determines your grade.
    computer science- never thought about that one
    i dont want to pick an A level that would ruin my chances of getting in a good uni

ReputationRep:
    If you strive for an intuitive understanding of maths, and believe you are ready for your timetable being so packed with maths, then sure. It takes some thought on your part to decide if you're committed enough, though. That being said, further maths isn't going to be a struggle for everyone. You can do perfectly fine and pass through it no sweat, just don't bet on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Flick through a list of subjects available at your college and decide what interests you most. Maybe Computer Science might be something that interests you? But yes, Maths, FM and Physics is a pretty common combination.

Go for further maths if you want. I scraped an A* (90.0%) at GCSE maths but coped pretty well with self teaching AS/A2 FM in Year 13. GCSE performances are something of an indicator but you can honestly step it up at AS and go on to do well, or equally have done realy well at GCSE and then struggled at AS. It's not so much what grade you get at GCSE as how hard you work at AS that determines your grade.
    I know this is a bit off topic but how big is the transition from A2 Further Maths to 1st year undergraduate maths at Bath?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NamelessPersona)

Im gonna look into Computer Science sounds interesting. Also does it have high mathematical content? this is because i want to do an A level that are all related.

ReputationRep:
    Im gonna look into Computer Science sounds interesting. Also does it have high mathematical content? this is because i want to do an A level that are all related.
    The maths content is generally quite low. If you're looking for maths content in computing, then you have to make your project heavily maths oriented (if they haven't changed the way that works). The theory is generally devoid of maths and high in regurgitating information. A very good part about computing, however, is the skills required to apply programming knowledge, as developing those will have a big carry over in any logical field, like maths.

ReputationRep:
    I picked up AS Computer Science in year 13 as that was the only chance I had. I was on the OCR specification. There isn't a lot of maths in it, and what there is is mostly easy stuff. Binary, octal and hexadecimal conversions are covered, which is just multiplication. Representing floating points using a mantissa and an exponent is studied, as well as two's complement and sign magnitude for showing negative numbers. Boolean operators are included, as well as logic gates and circuits. There was also karnaugh maps, which I really enjoyed. However the logical thinking from Maths overlaps with Computer Science which is why they complement each other.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.