The Student Room Group

Has anyone managed an A* at Core Science GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Got A* in GCSE Edexcel Core Science with 1 mark above an A in my coursework and full UMS on my B1. IDK how i did that o_0
Reply 21
Original post by Clemm101
If you've cashed in your Core (which you have if you've got a result) you won't be able to use these units for triple science.

what do you mean?
Reply 22
Original post by DavMax15
I was exactly the same - on track for 12 A*s - and got 11A*s and 1 A because of my English language. I got 61/64 in my mock and in my exam I got 39/64. Don't you just love pretentious markers? I'm getting mine remarked though.

I havent been allowed to see a breakdown yet so if one seems really off, i will get a remark.
Original post by meemzks
If i do the rest of my triple science exams next year, and i got A* in the both of them, would by total be up to an a*? I hate that ugly A on my report

This year you will get a Science grade of an A. Next year, by the sounds of it, you will get Additional Science and Further Additional Science grades. You cannot add grades taken in different exam season together to make up a GCSE so this year's results cannot be added to next year's in the same GCSE, meaning that you cannot slice up you exams to make Biology, Chemistry and Physics rather than Science, Additional Science and Further Additional Science unless you re-sit all the Science exams next year.)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DavMax15
You may need to cash in your grades as Biology, Chemistry, Physics rather than Core, Additional and Further Additional if you don't want to have an A at a GCSE though.

That's not possible. The Science will already be cashed-in and you can't change it.
Original post by meemzks
what do you mean?

When you are entered for an exam you have to be entered for a specific qualification. This is called the cash-in.

You were entered for Core Science and therefore the units you just sat have been cashed-in for your Core Science qualification.

If you wanted to sit Triple next year you would have to redo all unit 1 exams and the ISA (which is different for each year). In addition, due to the way the new Progress 8 measures work it's unlikely your school would allow you sit Triple as your are now on a single science path, rather than a Triple. This means that if you were to take the Triple exams they would not count for your school's figures.
Reply 26
I did core science for OCR this year and i got an a*. My UMS was 390/400
This year in my Core Science I only received a B, I was really expecting an A.

Quick Reply

Latest