Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I get the impression this site is very left wing Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've found this place has the loudest right wing userbase of any forum I've been a member of... what planet are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamDrake)
    As the title says. I have a Theory as to why, it being a website for the millennial generation and as some of you may be aware, the millennial generation has been brainwashed by the liberal/leftist agenda since they were going to primary school. Hence why the younger generation think the way they do - liberal, overly compassionate to bad entities, no boarders, citizens of the world and terrified of offending anyone who isn't white.
    Because this little gem doesn't make you sound brainwashed at all.

ReputationRep:
    When things don't go right, you go left. And well, not a lot has gone right lately, so we've all gone left.

ReputationRep:
    As the title says. I have a Theory as to why, it being a website for the millennial generation and as some of you may be aware, the millennial generation has been brainwashed by the liberal/leftist agenda since they were going to primary school. Hence why the younger generation think the way they do - liberal, overly compassionate to bad entities, no boarders, citizens of the world and terrified of offending anyone who isn't white.
    Even though your OP is quite emotive and extreme the point about young people being more left wing is very true. But it's not just millenials - historically it has often been the case that younger people are more left wing and older people are more right wing. I guess the thinking is that younger people are compassionate and idealistic, but as you grow older you become more cynical and 'realistic'.

If anything I'd say TSR is right wing for its demographic. My experience of uni was that it was far more left wing than TSR is.

ReputationRep:
    Most politics posts seem to be by right wingers attempting to justify the status quo or right wingers complaining about all the supposed leftys here/in society. (Left-wing being even the slightest questioning of government doublethink)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    Nah its not. It's psuedo left wing, when you get down to it, they would not give up the capitalist minority oppressing system that serve them so well. They are essentially white kids spewing happy lines from their comfortable suburban dwellings.
    Anyway this post is more offensive than what I said.

Why single out white kids? This is actually racist.

This site isn't even majority white. So if you see someone who is carelessly spewing altruistic sod for reps its probably not even a white person.

All the white people I do see on here aren't even censored like that, they're actually openly proud of being white British whether they are cringe worthy about it or not.

Also in real life when the minority becomes the majority things will change in society and eventually politically. So for UK that means it will possibly soften in some places for the benefit of the growing minority. Just look at the mayor of London, and look at how close the remain-leave vote was. So it's not even whites who are the liberals more than people of colour bro.

That being said I do agree that it's pseudo left wing around here because many people here are teenagers so their words/actions are fairly inconsequential anyway much less on the internet where everyone can say stuff they don't even back up in real life. Add that to a bored teenager and you get mayhem or at the very least, annoyances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    I've found this place has the loudest right wing userbase of any forum I've been a member of... what planet are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where exactly are the right wingers...? Let me not take you seriously though. I see what kind of person you are :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    TSR is ridiculously Toryboy right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calzs34)
    When things don't go right, you go left. And well, not a lot has gone right lately, so we've all gone left.
    Apparently not, the only thing UK went Left for was EU bro!

ReputationRep:
    effewdqwd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    What does being a liberal mean to you? Liberalism is such a nebulous concept that it's easy to talk at cross-purposes in conversations like this.*
    true

liberal, in anglo/saxon countries, means more or less center/left, while in Latin countries, it means more center-right

for simplicity's sake, we should rather use right-wing and left-wing

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    right-wingers think the forum is left-wing, and left-wingers think the forum is right-wing, and no one is happy ....

in reality, many people simply resent being exposed to opinions which differ from their own

best

ReputationRep:
    I'll be the one to bite the bullet if no one else will: I'm far right. Alt-right not those irrational doofuses the left normally lumps us in with. There's quite a few of us on here, there's a UKIP party in the MHoC too. I do agree though, this site is very PC, like most places where students gather really. It's truly terrifying how few students value free speech these days.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Time to twiddle my thumbs and wait to be called a "racist, xenophobic, white, male, privileged sh*tlord..."

ReputationRep:
    Typically younger people have always been left wing. That's by voting behaviour though.
    I'd say I'm liberal and open but not left. Centre right perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    edit; nvm I don't feel educated enough on the matter to fully debate.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the majority of this site is left wing, but obviously as this is a 'student room' it is populated by a mainly millennial (as you put it) audience. I feel we as a younger generation are more open minded than our elders and this can appear to be left-wing, however it is simply how we have been raised.

We are all citizens of the world, we live on earth and so we are citizens of it, and we are all in the same position of being these so-called citizens of the world. It provides us with a more open view, it links us all and gives us common ground, is this not a good thing, a positive attribute to be celebrated after so many years of conflict and terror?

What are these bad entities? Terrorists? War-mongers? Because as millennials we have had to live with these all our lives. But i assure you we do not empathise with these evil people at all. We simply do not encourage the mind-set that all those related to a certain negative aspect or entity are as evil as the entity itself.

Finally, we are not terrified about offending anyone who isn't white, we simply do not have the outdated mindset some older people have. We simply have a more open view of the world and encourage inclusiveness and for everyone to be comfortable. I would rather be called 'liberal' and 'scared to offend' than have to instead make someone who is not white, feel uncomfortable because of my language or actions.

(Original post by 0to100)
    they're actually openly proud of being white British whether they are cringe worthy about it or not.
    Proud of being British, maybe, but I have not heard anyone say that they are proud of being white British. Why would anyone say that, anyway?

ReputationRep:
    It's not really. Most students are vaguely left wing so there's that but in here, the loudest ones are the right-wing anti-Islam nationalists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megannie)
    I don't think the majority of this site is left wing, but obviously as this is a 'student room' it is populated by a mainly millennial (as you put it) audience. I feel we as a younger generation are more open minded than our elders and this can appear to be left-wing, however it is simply how we have been raised.

We are all citizens of the world, we live on earth and so we are citizens of it, and we are all in the same position of being these so-called citizens of the world. It provides us with a more open view, it links us all and gives us common ground, is this not a good thing, a positive attribute to be celebrated after so many years of conflict and terror?

What are these bad entities? Terrorists? War-mongers? Because as millennials we have had to live with these all our lives. But i assure you we do not empathise with these evil people at all. We simply do not encourage the mind-set that all those related to a certain negative aspect or entity are as evil as the entity itself.

Finally, we are not terrified about offending anyone who isn't white, we simply do not have the outdated mindset some older people have. We simply have a more open view of the world and encourage inclusiveness and for everyone to be comfortable. I would rather be called 'liberal' and 'scared to offend' than have to instead make someone who is not white, feel uncomfortable because of my language or actions.
    In my view, blue-eyed, naive idealists have been, all through history, much more dangerous than hard-nosed pessimists

your post is a catalogue of lofty sentiments which, mostly are just words.In reality,people compete for everything : natural resources, prestige, capital. They compete even when they say they are not. They aggregate in groups, and the groups fight each other. This has been like that since day 1, and the situation has become, in recent times, worse, if anything

I used to think that international organisation, the emergence of a world order and of an international legal system would somehow manage to harness our destructive instincts, but these hopes have been largely proved wrong

so, believe me : being a hard-nosed realist is still the best option for survival

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Why do so many people assume being left-wing is equivalent to being a liberal?

The two terms are very different. I identify as far-left, but I am far from being an SJW.
    Name:  stalin-burla.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  27.2 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.