The Student Room Group

I get the impression this site is very left wing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SamDrake
As the title says. I have a Theory as to why, it being a website for the millennial generation and as some of you may be aware, the millennial generation has been brainwashed by the liberal/leftist agenda since they were going to primary school. Hence why the younger generation think the way they do - liberal, overly compassionate to bad entities, no boarders, citizens of the world and terrified of offending anyone who isn't white.

Even though your OP is quite emotive and extreme the point about young people being more left wing is very true. But it's not just millenials - historically it has often been the case that younger people are more left wing and older people are more right wing. I guess the thinking is that younger people are compassionate and idealistic, but as you grow older you become more cynical and 'realistic'.

If anything I'd say TSR is right wing for its demographic. My experience of uni was that it was far more left wing than TSR is.
Most politics posts seem to be by right wingers attempting to justify the status quo or right wingers complaining about all the supposed leftys here/in society. (Left-wing being even the slightest questioning of government doublethink)
Original post by James.Carnell
Nah its not. It's psuedo left wing, when you get down to it, they would not give up the capitalist minority oppressing system that serve them so well. They are essentially white kids spewing happy lines from their comfortable suburban dwellings.

Anyway this post is more offensive than what I said.

Why single out white kids? This is actually racist.

This site isn't even majority white. So if you see someone who is carelessly spewing altruistic sod for reps its probably not even a white person.

All the white people I do see on here aren't even censored like that, they're actually openly proud of being white British whether they are cringe worthy about it or not.

Also in real life when the minority becomes the majority things will change in society and eventually politically. So for UK that means it will possibly soften in some places for the benefit of the growing minority. Just look at the mayor of London, and look at how close the remain-leave vote was. So it's not even whites who are the liberals more than people of colour bro.

That being said I do agree that it's pseudo left wing around here because many people here are teenagers so their words/actions are fairly inconsequential anyway much less on the internet where everyone can say stuff they don't even back up in real life. Add that to a bored teenager and you get mayhem or at the very least, annoyances.
Original post by RobML
I've found this place has the loudest right wing userbase of any forum I've been a member of... what planet are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where exactly are the right wingers...? Let me not take you seriously though. I see what kind of person you are :laugh:
TSR is ridiculously Toryboy right.
Original post by Calzs34
When things don't go right, you go left. And well, not a lot has gone right lately, so we've all gone left.

Apparently not, the only thing UK went Left for was EU bro!
effewdqwd
Original post by TurboCretin
What does being a liberal mean to you? Liberalism is such a nebulous concept that it's easy to talk at cross-purposes in conversations like this.*
true

liberal, in anglo/saxon countries, means more or less center/left, while in Latin countries, it means more center-right

for simplicity's sake, we should rather use right-wing and left-wing

best
Original post by RobML
I've found this place has the loudest right wing userbase of any forum I've been a member of... what planet are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
right-wingers think the forum is left-wing, and left-wingers think the forum is right-wing, and no one is happy ....

in reality, many people simply resent being exposed to opinions which differ from their own

best
(edited 7 years ago)
Typically younger people have always been left wing. That's by voting behaviour though.
I'd say I'm liberal and open but not left. Centre right perhaps.
edit; nvm I don't feel educated enough on the matter to fully debate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SamDrake
As the title says. I have a Theory as to why, it being a website for the millennial generation and as some of you may be aware, the millennial generation has been brainwashed by the liberal/leftist agenda since they were going to primary school. Hence why the younger generation think the way they do - liberal, overly compassionate to bad entities, no boarders, citizens of the world and terrified of offending anyone who isn't white.

I don't think the majority of this site is left wing, but obviously as this is a 'student room' it is populated by a mainly millennial (as you put it) audience. I feel we as a younger generation are more open minded than our elders and this can appear to be left-wing, however it is simply how we have been raised.

We are all citizens of the world, we live on earth and so we are citizens of it, and we are all in the same position of being these so-called citizens of the world. It provides us with a more open view, it links us all and gives us common ground, is this not a good thing, a positive attribute to be celebrated after so many years of conflict and terror?

What are these bad entities? Terrorists? War-mongers? Because as millennials we have had to live with these all our lives. But i assure you we do not empathise with these evil people at all. We simply do not encourage the mind-set that all those related to a certain negative aspect or entity are as evil as the entity itself.

Finally, we are not terrified about offending anyone who isn't white, we simply do not have the outdated mindset some older people have. We simply have a more open view of the world and encourage inclusiveness and for everyone to be comfortable. I would rather be called 'liberal' and 'scared to offend' than have to instead make someone who is not white, feel uncomfortable because of my language or actions.
It's not really. Most students are vaguely left wing so there's that but in here, the loudest ones are the right-wing anti-Islam nationalists.
Original post by megannie
I don't think the majority of this site is left wing, but obviously as this is a 'student room' it is populated by a mainly millennial (as you put it) audience. I feel we as a younger generation are more open minded than our elders and this can appear to be left-wing, however it is simply how we have been raised.

We are all citizens of the world, we live on earth and so we are citizens of it, and we are all in the same position of being these so-called citizens of the world. It provides us with a more open view, it links us all and gives us common ground, is this not a good thing, a positive attribute to be celebrated after so many years of conflict and terror?

What are these bad entities? Terrorists? War-mongers? Because as millennials we have had to live with these all our lives. But i assure you we do not empathise with these evil people at all. We simply do not encourage the mind-set that all those related to a certain negative aspect or entity are as evil as the entity itself.

Finally, we are not terrified about offending anyone who isn't white, we simply do not have the outdated mindset some older people have. We simply have a more open view of the world and encourage inclusiveness and for everyone to be comfortable. I would rather be called 'liberal' and 'scared to offend' than have to instead make someone who is not white, feel uncomfortable because of my language or actions.
In my view, blue-eyed, naive idealists have been, all through history, much more dangerous than hard-nosed pessimists

your post is a catalogue of lofty sentiments which, mostly are just words.In reality,people compete for everything : natural resources, prestige, capital. They compete even when they say they are not. They aggregate in groups, and the groups fight each other. This has been like that since day 1, and the situation has become, in recent times, worse, if anything

I used to think that international organisation, the emergence of a world order and of an international legal system would somehow manage to harness our destructive instincts, but these hopes have been largely proved wrong

so, believe me : being a hard-nosed realist is still the best option for survival
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mathemagicien
Why do so many people assume being left-wing is equivalent to being a liberal?

The two terms are very different. I identify as far-left, but I am far from being an SJW.

stalin-burla.jpg
Original post by mariachi
so, if being liberal is clearly such a good thing, why aren't we all liberals ? are conservatives, or even reactionaries, evil ?

or perhaps, on the left you have the optimists, those who have a quasi-unlimited faith in the good nature of humans, and in their perfectibility, while on the other side you have the pessimists, who think that most humans will turn dirty tricks if they only get half a chance ?

you could call it a realist/idealist divide, and the strength of our democratic system is in the pendulum swings between these two poles

in my view, there are cases where you should use caution and conservatives may be right, and cases where there is ground for hope

best

Well liberals clearly do have more moral values than conservatives. Whereas Tories have more self-serving values. So Tories aren't "evil" but they are less in line with what we see as good IMO.

Would Jesus be a liberal or a Tory.
Also I voted leave the European Union
Reply 37
TSR in incredibly liberal, left wing and political correct. Yet somehow harbors and leaves unchecked the threads and posts of a number of white nationalists and racists on here.

If you dont believe me just look through a 2 week history of the news & current affairs forum on here at any point in time, and you will find at least one thread crawling with racists
(edited 7 years ago)
Just pointing out that liberalism is a right-wing ideology.
I'm quite an odd one, really. My absolute ideal would actually be rather left-wing, a land where everyone is equal, education is free and there is no poverty because everyone enjoys a high standard of living. Here, the state would act as a benevolent leader, providing direction to the nation and preserving order to ensure that all benefit from the profits of our success.

As I'm sure you agree, that sounds very fluffy and is very idealistic. I find myself realistically therefore in the centre-right of the political spectrum. I recognise that everybody is not equal (and I don't mean shouldn't be entitled to equal rights, I mean equal in very general terms such as intelligence, work ethic etc) so therefore this idealistic state cannot exist. In reality, those in positions of power cannot be fully trusted to be benevolent to all of our citizens, although the current system of democracy does a pretty good job of ensuring that each government acts in the broad interests of the people, regardless of which party wins. As people are not equal, it is therefore just that there are differing levels of wealth, although I think the government should have the responsibility of limiting the power of those who aren't elected. Education can't be free without excessive taxes or else universities will fail to run, and taxes themselves should be kept at a minimum so as not to punish the individual by taking a part of their salary. It is perfectly fair to pay for your own education, but the loan system is effective at making sure people can afford it who do not have the money up-front. In some ways I'm also a bit isolationist, in that I want less interaction with certain parts of the world but more with Europe/Anglosphere countries (and China/Japan, I guess). I also think Islam has the potential to cause significant damage to Western culture and freedoms. By and large, most Muslims who grow up here are very agreeable people and are similarly likely to hold conservative stances on issues such as homosexuality as many conservative Christians are, so as long as they don't act on those beliefs and try to integrate with British life then that's fine. It's the ones who immigrate directly from the Middle East that we really ought to be worried about, as they have come from a society that in many ways is the polar opposite to our own.

So I describe myself as a Conservative because they're the only realist party, and the only party prepared to take a stand against mass culture change. I differ from many on this site whom I usually agree with by my promotion of the EU as a good thing, although I admit it is no way perfect in its current form. Maybe the idealist inside me wants to believe it can change, idk. But I find that human nature drives me towards realism, which a great many students refuse to acknowledge as a fact of life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending