Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Nay. The corruption within FIFA isn't just going to go away now that Blatter is banned.

I also highly question any additional motivational effects that hosting the world cup would have on getting kids to play football in a country where football is already one of the most popular sports. Given the capacity requirements for hosting world cup matches, the only stadiums that could be used are some of the ones in the premier league (indeed, there are several in the prem that don't even meet the requirements) where footballing culture is already ingrained (and consequently, the vast vast majority of kiddies won't be seeing these matches in their local stadium if they don't live near a prem team anyway).
    First point is fair.

Second point is wrong many of the cities designated for the 2018 bid don't have prem teams (Newcastle, Leeds, Nottingham, Bristol, etc...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    The government should not be supporting a national embarrassment on home soil. It's bad enough that e go overseas to embarrass ourselves.
    On home soil England football team have never embarassed the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    I can personally only support a bid if it is the UK as a whole rather than just England. Whilst the football teams compete separately, we are still one country and the constituent nations should all feel the benefits if government is going to spending money on this sort of thing. Cardiff, Glasgow and Edinburgh all have stadiums that can seat 60,000+ people, there is no reason they should be left out.

That said, the costs involved would surely be nowhere near the cost of the Olympics. We already have eight stadiums that can seat 60,000 people and will likely have at least four more by 2026 just through investment by their clubs, so really nothing needs spending on stadiums. Apart from maybe expanding a stadium in Birmingham and one on the south coast to spread the games out a bit more, the only real costs would be improving generic infrastructure - which lets face it, we desperately need anyway.

Once the expansions and new stadiums currently being built are done, only really the US will beat us in quantity of large stadiums but we also have the advantage of short travelling distances. In that sense, we are probably the most eligible country in the world to host it. However we also know that FIFA is just a little bit corrupt so that won't count for much.
    You can't have 4 automatic qualifiers for a world cup though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by United1892)
    On home soil England football team have never embarassed the country.
    Amazing number of data points you have there...

You can't have 4 automatic qualifiers for a world cup though.
    Multiple hosts is hardly unprecedented

ReputationRep:
    Aye it will create a feel good factor for a while and help improve infrastructure which is needed.

The premier league point has been addressed by the fan of the small club in the north east United1892 how's the championship suiting you?

Jammy Duel while there has been 1 case of 2 hosts for a World Cup there has been 0 of 3 or 4 hosts.

The corruption in Fifa could be a problem but last time they said no to England a British journalist showed how corrupt they are if the pressure is on they may be forced to vote for England as the safe choice to show there is no corruption.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    How much are we putting in the brown envelopes if we bid?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Aye it will create a feel good factor for a while and help improve infrastructure which is needed.

The premier league point has been addressed by the fan of the small club in the north east United1892 how's the championship suiting you?

Jammy Duel while there has been 1 case of 2 hosts for a World Cup there has been 0 of 3 or 4 hosts.

The corruption in Fifa could be a problem but last time they said no to England a British journalist showed how corrupt they are if the pressure is on they may be forced to vote for England as the safe choice to show there is no corruption.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    How much are we putting in the brown envelopes if we bid?
    I didn't realise people got a feel good factor of losing lots and being knocked out early on home Soil, or am I remembering the rugby world cup wrong? We aren't even talking about a sport that we should be doing well in, we're talking about one where we should just scrape into the round of 16 (or drop out in the groups if it then goes straight to quarters)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Abstain.

I don't disagree with hosting events like the Olympics or World Cup per say because of the international prestige that can afford the host nation. However, i also don't think it's a terribly good use of taxpayers money.

I'm of the view that sport bids like this should be devolved. If London wants the Olympics or Yorkshire the Tour De France then it should be paid for from their own funding.

ReputationRep:
    Come back to me when England reaches a final in a football tournament. In the next 10 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McRite)
    Come back to me when England reaches a final in a football tournament. In the next 10 years.
    You mean Men's football as the Women's team may well do so. I still think we would fail because of FIFA politics.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people are so scared of spending money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'm of the view that sport bids like this should be devolved. If London wants the Olympics or Yorkshire the Tour De France then it should be paid for from their own funding.
    You can't devolve a World Cup bid as it's a whole nation bidding.

Aye for this motion though, I don't think England's FIFA ranking matters? Poland and Ukraine hosted the Euros, Russia is the next World Cup host and Qatar in 2022 the World Cup, these are all relitavely poor Footballing nations compared to England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Amazing number of data points you have there...
    True.

Multiple hosts is hardly unprecedented
    4 is.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Second point is wrong many of the cities designated for the 2018 bid don't have prem teams (Newcastle, Leeds, Nottingham, Bristol, etc...)

Fair point. Still, I just don't see how hosting the world cup will significantly improve the popularity of football even more than the current level atm. This just seems like an expensive way of ensuring that we qualify.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    You can't devolve a World Cup bid as it's a whole nation bidding.

Aye for this motion though, I don't think England's FIFA ranking matters? Poland and Ukraine hosted the Euros, Russia is the next World Cup host and Qatar in 2022 the World Cup, these are all relitavely poor Footballing nations compared to England.
    The bid itself would technically be put forward as a national one but if London and Manchester are the ones prepared to increase council tax/cut spending to fund it then it could easily be dealt with like a devolved issue domestically.

ReputationRep:
    Given the capacity requirements for hosting world cup matches, the only stadiums that could be used are some of the ones in the premier league (indeed, there are several in the prem that don't even meet the requirements).
    Wembley, old Trafford, emirates, the man city ground, hillsborough, elland road, Olympic stadium, Stratford bridge, anfield, millennium stadium (if we include Wales), Twickenham (maybe). Unsure how many are needed, but these I imagine are all large enough to host World Cup matches
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Wembley, old Trafford, emirates, the man city ground, hillsborough, elland road, Olympic stadium, Stratford bridge, anfield, millennium stadium (if we include Wales), Twickenham (maybe). Unsure how many are needed, but these I imagine are all large enough to host World Cup matches
    I am aware of that, but from your own list around half of the stadiums you've listed are in London (assuming Stratford Bridge is Stamford Bridge). How does that encourage more people across the UK to take up/watch football?

ReputationRep:
    I am aware of that, but from your own list around half of the stadiums you've listed are in London. How does that encourage more people across the UK to take up/watch football?
    Those are just a few off the top of my head, although it's undeniable London has done if the biggest stadiums in England (and Wales), however to add to my list you also have Villa Park, Stadium of Light, Goodison Park, st James Park, all outside of London. And should Scotland be included there are a good three or four at least that would also be big enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    You mean Men's football as the Women's team may well do so. I still think we would fail because of FIFA politics.
    Yes men's. Most probably.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Those are just a few off the top of my head, although it's undeniable London has done if the biggest stadiums in England (and Wales), however to add to my list you also have Villa Park, Stadium of Light, Goodison Park, st James Park, all outside of London. And should Scotland be included there are a good three or four at least that would also be big enough
    I don't think you've understood my point here. I'm highlighting that the popularity of football is already significant in places where the stadiums that meet the requirements are built, especially when the additional stadiums on your list are all premier league bar Villa and Newcastle who were both in the prem last season. That they already meet the requirements should be enough evidence that football is already popular in these places. I find the argument that hosting the world cup will encourage a lot more people in the UK to take up football to be extremely weak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    M404 – World Cup Bid Motion 2016, TSR Labour Party
    This House believes that the Government should support the English FA to make a bid for either the 2026 or 2030 Fifa World Cup.

Following the departure of Blatter and a cohort of officials, FIFA is slowly beginning to recover from the corruption which engulfed it not so long ago. Therefore we would now have a realistic chance of claiming one of the tournaments for ourselves. Hosting a Fifa World Cup could bring our country a whole host of benefits, economically and socially, and the positive impacts could last for a very long time.

A report from the UK Trade and Investment department announced that the 2012 Olympics boosted the UK economy by £9.9bn. Although a Fifa World Cup would not bring as much money into the economy, if organised correctly, the profit should significantly exceed the cost.

The 2012 Olympics forced the Government to tackle the dilapidated parts of London such as the Lower Lea Valley and transformed them into areas which the city and country could be proud of. Similar developments will hopefully take place for a World Cup. The English FA has identified several locations which could host matches and as part of the preparations, the areas around the stadiums would be modernised which would benefit local residents in the long run. There is also the possibility that a joint England-Wales bid could be launched as the Millenium Stadium would be a great stadium to use for the tournament.

However, if the Government purely wanted to focus on maximising its profits, the stadia and facilities that already exist could potentially mean no public investment would be needed for this area and any improvements desired could easily be funded by the clubs in question who'd gain from the prestige of being selected as venues. A good example of how profitable a World Cup can be to a country is the 2006 World Cup which yielded billions of Euros in economic benefits and enabled the creation of 50,000 jobs. It also drove a long-term improvement in domestic German football with increased attendences and commercial revenues eventually leading them to overtake Italy and England to become the second most sucessful league in Europe.

One of the most important benefits of hosting a World Cup is that it would inspire people to play football. By having such a major tournament in your own country can have an undervalued effect of the mind-set of some individuals. People who rarely watch football may not want to miss a match and some even get the chance to watch the matches in their local stadium. Hosting a World Cup would definitely get more people playing football, children and adults alike.

The 2012 Olympics demonstrated that we have the ability to run a major event well but at the same time ensure the rewards are retained. A lot of the benefits we received from hosting the Olympics would be gained if we hosted the World Cup and so we believe that the Government should give its full backing to the FA to prepare a bid for one of the future tournaments.

Sources:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23370270
    https://www.olympic.org/news/benefit...ill-be-ongoing
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/get-inspired/23738916
    http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...-the-world-cup
    http://www.dw.com/en/germanys-world-...cess/a-2263053
    If we're going to host this event we should be confident our team will at least make it to the quarter finals. It's about national pride and being knocked out early on our own soil is a bit shameful, so for now nay. But in the future if our team is noticeably better and our public finances are sorted then we should pursue a world cup tournament.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.