Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Atheists, how did you tell your parents about your non-beliefs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I didn't need too. Religion/belief's a personal thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am Kira)
    How old were you and what was their response?
    Was about 15. Mum's response was something to the effect of 'that's fine, but you still have to come to church at Easter and Christmas'. Dad's response, the day after, was 'so am I, don't tell your mother though'.

ReputationRep:
    Can't really place an age on it but my Dad's an atheist so he didn't bat an eyelid, if anything he was pleased that I'm not foolish enough to believe in delusions with no evidence. My Mum, I think, believes in God but I'm not entirely sure if she believes in the Christian religion or just 'a god'. Sadly I was baptised when I was a baby, probably because both of my grandparents are quite religious, but oh well I guess having a bit of water pointlessly poured over my forehead can't have done any lasting damage aside to my freedom of choice

ReputationRep:
    My parents are atheist, too, they let a friend give us a Bible and were proud we weren't fooled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    :confused:

Just said I didn't believe in it...
    Seems like you're confused by this thread. The thing is, some people take religion really seriously. In fact, too seriously. They truly think God is watching them. They believe that heaven and hell exist. They don't want themselves or their children to go to hell, naturally. Finding out their child no longer believes in God would crush them. And some would take crazy measures, like disownment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I like how this is worded as if it was the same as coming out gay/lesbian
    Well a decent of stigma from being gay/lesbian comes from religion, so..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon2016)
    Well no one actually believes in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairywhere as christianity alot of people do believe in and its has highly developed set of laws and rules regarding how to live and worship etc. So I would have assumed you put more thought into rejection religion and the 1000s of people who say they have experienced miracles that you did in rejecting santa claus
    Typical theists. Something extraordinary that's good happens = miracle.

All the **** that happens day to day = don't blame God (or even worse, he's just testing us).

ReputationRep:
    I grew up Catholic.
    I think I was about 12. My parents were both fine with it, it's more my grandparents who still maintain the idea that if you were baptised catholic you will always be Catholic, they don't like the idea of me being an atheist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elastichedgehog)
    I didn't need too. Religion/belief's a personal thing.
    Yh but if its imposed on to u you have to come out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't. It never came up as a subject. My mum isn't particularly religious, but my dad seems to be.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.