Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    My life has been absolutely ruined by my parents having had me circumsized as a child. I have no friends, women don't want me, and I always feel shame at my mutilation when I take a shower. It has absolutely affected me in every single possible way detrimentally.

- Nobody ever
    wow

you think that the only good reason to ban something is when it "ruins a person's life"? you don't think about these kinds of questions a lot do you? I mean, if robbery didn't ruin your life, should it still be allowed on that principle? what about battery/bodily harm? what about non-violent rape? is it all relative to the extent to which it "ruins your life"? so if I destroyed your home, and it technically didn't "ruin" your life, then you wouldn't expect the government to find the person who did it and punish them and conpensate you? I mean, this is *literally* the reasoning you're using above.

ReputationRep:
    My life has been absolutely ruined by my parents having had me circumsized as a child. I have no friends, women don't want me, and I always feel shame at my mutilation when I take a shower. It has absolutely affected me in every single possible way detrimentally.

- Nobody ever
    if circumcision was even the slightest bit beneficial you'd see non-circumcised males (adults...) make the (free and informed) choice to mutilate their own genitals, yet they dont - funny that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    wow

you think that the only good reason to ban something is when it "ruins a person's life"? you don't think about these kinds of questions a lot do you? I mean, if robbery didn't ruin your life, should it still be allowed on that principle? what about battery/bodily harm? what about non-violent rape? is it all relative to the extent to which it "ruins your life"? so if I destroyed your home, and it technically didn't "ruin" your life, then you wouldn't expect the government to find the person who did it and punish them and conpensate you? I mean, this is *literally* the reasoning you're using above.
    If you honestly think that the psychological trauma of being circumsized is comparable to that of being robbed or raped, or the physical trauma is compatible to battery/bodily harm then you're living in a different universe. All the things you mentioned actually cause physical/emotional/mental scares that can haunt the victim for the rest of their life. How many people have you honestly encountered that feel their body has been ruined and "mutilated" because they're missing a minuscule bit of skin on their penis?

(Original post by lawyer3c)
    if circumcision was even the slightest bit beneficial you'd see non-circumcised males (adults...) make the (free and informed) choice to mutilate their own genitals, yet they dont - funny that
    I just guessed that it's because in 2016 people are mature enough to realize that it's inconsequential whether or not you have foreskin or not, so why go through the bother? It's like an appendix, your body works whether you have it or not, but unless it's inflamed are you just gonna have it taken out randomly or spend that afternoon doing things that matter?

People honestly need better things to be angry (at religion) about

ReputationRep:

I just guessed that it's because in 2016 people are mature enough to realize that it's inconsequential whether or not you have foreskin or not, so why go through the bother? It's like an appendix, your body works whether you have it or not, but unless it's inflamed are you just gonna have it taken out randomly or spend that afternoon doing things that matter?

People honestly need better things to be angry (at religion) about
    If your foreskin is like an appendix (which FYI does perform functions in the body) it would make sense to leave it well alone unless there is some medical justification for operating. I would have hoped that in 2016 people would realise that removing a part of a child's body, might I add a sexually intimate part, for no medically sound reason, is simply unjustifiable under secular principles.

ReputationRep:

- Nobody ever
    You need to get around more, there are loads of people who feel indignation over having been circumcised.

ReputationRep:
    My stance:

Children shouldn't have permanent procedures done to them because they cannot consent to them.

The arguments for hygiene are weak because it's not like uncircumcised penises can't be cleaned.

The supposed medical benefits are not only sketchy, they redundant. If I chopped off your arm, you would have a lot lower chance of getting a sarcoma. If you're really an advocate of the medical benefits, then shouldn't circumcision be made compulsory? It's not like a vaccination, which has much more close and real benefits.

There are people who are fine with having been circumcised, sure, but just because they're fine with it doesn't mean the same fate should be imposed on someone who may not be fine with it.

It's the same reason why children should not be forced to get tattoos by their parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawyer3c)
    i love it when israelis disagree with stupid british israeli apologists
    Does Israel have a state religion or not? It can be a haven for ethnically Jewish people without being a jewish state. Last I checked Israel's state religion wasn't Judaism.

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason why it cannot wait until the child can consent. Although it's not really life changing, it's permanent. If the person wishes to depart from the religion, it will be a permanent stain on his psyche.

ReputationRep:
    The analogies in this thread are cancer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    The analogies in this thread are cancer.
    Name:  1456632299527.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  110.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    There is no reason why it cannot wait until the child can consent. Although it's not really life changing, it's permanent. If the person wishes to depart from the religion, it will be a permanent stain on his psyche.
    Yep that's me

I'm not even going to bother quoting the ignorant, irritating prick above. My parents circumcised me at a young age without consent. A procedure which involves removing a perfectly healthy tissue because of some stupid book. It's barbaric and it shouldn't happen to more children. If you really want it done, have it at 18. But hey, if we have people making informed decisions at the age of 18, then their ridiculous religions won't survive. Religion thrives of indoctrination of young kids.

Ex-Muslim and proud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Name:  1456632299527.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  110.4 KB
    Wtf?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.