Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should elderly people be respected? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    Depends which generation of elderly.

The greatest generation, yes.

The boomers, no.

Generation X, maybe more than the boomers.

Most millenials, no, but millenials will be the ones to remake the world as it should be, so watch our space.
    Millennials have these delusions of grandeur but we're going to wake up one day, shuffle outside, switch off our google class and realise we're all living in Brave New World because we're all so bloody dense. #HuxleyWasRight

As to the question itself, I do kind of respect the elderly-elderly by default I guess. People of about 60-ish can do one though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - respect your elders and betters.

The lack of respect the current generation have for those older than them is unforgivable. They've paid their taxes, fought in wars, etc. What have you all done? A big fat nothing.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion everyone should be respected to start with. If they prove to not be worth it, then you can stop respecting them.

ReputationRep:
    I've come across some elderly people who are real nasty pieces of work. No they did not have dementia which would excuse them for behaving out of character. They certainly did not deserve my respect nor anyone else's for that matter.
    In general though I do respect the elderly, in many matters they're more experienced, they've given what they can back to society and imo should live their last years comfortably and respectfully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jape)
    Millennials have these delusions of grandeur but we're going to wake up one day, shuffle outside, switch off our google class and realise we're all living in Brave New World because we're all so bloody dense. #HuxleyWasRight

As to the question itself, I do kind of respect the elderly-elderly by default I guess. People of about 60-ish can do one though.
    Some of us have already woken up and refuse to surrender :fyi: #Bringthe50sback

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    #Bringthe50sback
    Eh? You want to bring back racial segregation in the states?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marked Target)
    Eh? You want to bring back racial segregation in the states?
    #Bringthe1700sback
    #Nomoredemocracy
    #King'srule
    #****liberalism

ReputationRep:
    Lol if they are respectful to me but if they are rude and nasty I'm not gonna be kind just because they're old? Relentless respect for elders is cultural anyway. And not my culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41b)
    #Bringthe1700sback
    #Nomoredemocracy
    #King'srule
    #****liberalism
    ? You better be joking because last time I checked you said you were a dark skinned Asian so this is ironic. Let me remember I'm ol' tsr though.

ReputationRep:
    I usually start out with the same level of respect for everyone, seen as I know nothing about them. I wouldn't treat them any better than I do anyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0to100)
    ? You better be joking because last time I checked you said you were a dark skinned Asian so this is ironic. Let me remember I'm ol' tsr though.
    Real "progress" is made by sucking it up, learning what you did wrong and adapting for the better, winning wars and destroying your competitors. Not whining about how horrible they were to you.

Further, I'm fair skinned; I'm descended from the aristocracy, and aristocrats of all countries are superior to the filthy peasantry. Now get shining, boy. And give em a kiss when you're done.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because they're people.

ReputationRep:
    Respect is earned, not given out for arbitrary reasons.

If you're offering me respect because of my age, then quite frankly I don't want it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.