Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most overrated and underrated universities in your opinion? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    How is Manchester overrated?
    Perhaps it's just for my subject but when I visited it for an open day, it felt underwhelming in comparison to all the praise I'd heard of it from everyone. They have a large, large student body and a family friend who went there admitted that they aren't able to manage it well enough. From my experience as well, they seem to make conditional offers to anyone and everyone and accept most people who don't make their grades, even by a mile - there's no selectiveness there at all. Perhaps it's just because I'm an international that I feel so, but a classmate of mine didn't meet either his firm or insurance (missed his predicted by 3 IB points) and Manchester offered him a place through clearing for straight computer science with an IB score of 33. He also had just 4 in mathematics for a subject like comp sci, so I really don't know where the talk of them having a good student body comes from.

In another case I know of, Manchester made a mech eng offer to a boy who had failed GCSE math, never improved that grade of his, but somehow managed a B in AS level. He had to resit his GCSEs in the winter A levels session just so he could save face, but then Manchester didn't withdraw their offer/reject him later despite the fact that he got a D in that resit.

I know anecdotes don't count for good arguments but the overall impression I have of the uni isn't really very positive. So yeah, that's what I feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonetruequeen)
    Perhaps it's just for my subject but when I visited it for an open day, it felt underwhelming in comparison to all the praise I'd heard of it from everyone. They have a large, large student body and a family friend who went there admitted that they aren't able to manage it well enough. From my experience as well, they seem to make conditional offers to anyone and everyone and accept most people who don't make their grades, even by a mile - there's no selectiveness there at all. Perhaps it's just because I'm an international that I feel so, but a classmate of mine didn't meet either his firm or insurance (missed his predicted by 3 IB points) and Manchester offered him a place through clearing for straight computer science with an IB score of 33. He also had just 4 in mathematics for a subject like comp sci, so I really don't know where the talk of them having a good student body comes from.

In another case I know of, Manchester made a mech eng offer to a boy who had failed GCSE math, never improved that grade of his, but somehow managed a B in AS level. He had to resit his GCSEs in the winter A levels session just so he could save face, but then Manchester didn't withdraw their offer/reject him later despite the fact that he got a D in that resit.

I know anecdotes don't count for good arguments but the overall impression I have of the uni isn't really very positive. So yeah, that's what I feel.
    Fair enough. Like you said anecdotes don't count for good arguments but I can understand your viewpoint. They do have interviews (which few universities do for courses apart from medicine) for their most competitive courses so I don't see how they aren't competitve with their selection of undergraduates. It is just that I thought that they are underrated because there is hardly anyone on TSR that gives them props for their strongest departments like Physics, Computer Science as opposed to Warwick for their Maths department and LSE for economics. I mean they aren't ranked 33rd-35th in the world for nothing. They must be doing something right.

ReputationRep:
    Overrated :
    Surrey,Lancaster,Loughbourgh,Bat h

Underrated:
    Cardiff,Exeter,Swansea,York*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.